2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

BST are announcing this week according to the other thread. If he's on there then we're safe.

I still doggedly refuse to believe he's bailed.

Are we assuming he's doing BST and Glastonbury then? Could he not have pulled out of G because BST offered him more money or something?

BST are announcing this week according to the other thread. If he's on there then we're safe.

I still doggedly refuse to believe he's bailed.

someone just suggested in the BST thread that he'd be announced in December (if he's being announced) as that would be after his tourdates - which makes sense.

So I'm guessing an announcement this week will be for something different.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Has there been a reason given for Macca (potentially) pulling out?

It would seem strange for this to happen unless it was something health related which as far as I can see doesn't seem to be an issue.

the only thing which would make sense currently was if he'd decided to extend his US tour - so i'm guessing there'll be new dates for that appear if he's pulled out of Glasto.

Edited by eFestivals

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the only thing which would make sense currently was if he'd decided to extend his US tour - so i'm guessing there'll be new dates for that appear if he's pulled out of Glasto.

That's my thinking, if it was health related he wouldn't be playing 100-odd dates between now and next June.

It's quite possible he's got an offer on the table to stay in the US longer.

That's my thinking, if it was health related he wouldn't be playing 100-odd dates between now and next June.

It's quite possible he's got an offer on the table to stay in the US longer.

I'd hope that he's not driven by money enough to turn his back on a deal to headline the festival in order to play more dates over the pond instead.

He's not short of a bob or two let's face it and it would strike me as a bit immoral.

If the U.S dates don't disappear (I know that's not forced to be straight away) I can't imagine it's health related

His voice potentially packing up did cross my mind with it going out live on the BBC but I've seen his gigs broadcast in full as recent as a festival in the U.S last month so that also doesn't really add up

All very odd

I always thought that US date was to close to Glastonbury for him to be playing. I know it's enough time to get over here, but he is getting on a bit and if there's questions about his voice then playing a gig and then jumping on a trans Atlantic flight and  trying to play another gig which essentially is 72 hours later (We all know its The Cure Sunday) isnt going to do this voice an favours. He maybe scared of his voice not being up to it for such a big gig.

Plus they've got to get the rest of the band, all the roadies and gear over here as well. 

Like some have said, he may have been offered more dates to stay in the US and it's far more viable to stay over there and maybe play 2020.

If Macca was down for BST and Glastonbury, then surely he must have other European dates pencilled in for the summer as well? Meaning he couldn't simply extend his US tour without having to cancel/postpone his other European shows too? Hopefully he announces some European dates/festivals next July so we can be sure he's in the continent.  

Macca's voice is fine. It's not like he's been on 40 a day for the last 30 years. 'His voice has gone' is rapidly becoming a new urban myth alongside 'Paul is dead'. It seems the sole basis of this myth is the Olympic appearance over 6 years ago which was more to do with sound issues with the monitors, etc rather than his voice.

If he's pulled out then it's likely to be either:

1. BST have offered him big money to be an exclusive and not doing Glastonbury is in the deal

2. The Eavii and Macca cannot agree TV coverage (as the Stones pretty much did until the 11th hour)

3. He's extending his US tour

4. It was never has nailed on as we thought but rather 'first option' and either Macca or the Eavii have decided not to take it forward.

Personally, I think it's number 1. I'd imagine that his plan was to do BST and Glastonbury (as the low Glastonbury fee is offset by the BST fee) but BST don't want him playing Glastonbury. I know he's not a pauper but just playing Glastonbury is probably a loss for someone like him in terms of production, transport, band costs, etc.

39 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It would mean he's guaranteed to be in the UK and performing early July. As I've said before, BST have never had an issue sharing headliners with GF in the past so I'd say it makes him more likely.

You may very well be right and it's not as if they'd ever have trouble shifting tickets whether he plays Glasto or not...but I just have a funny feeling. To be honest the "he's always top of our list" quote made me think, they wanted but didn't get...and that was months ago,

1 hour ago, Divein said:

I always thought that US date was to close to Glastonbury for him to be playing. I know it's enough time to get over here, but he is getting on a bit and if there's questions about his voice then playing a gig and then jumping on a trans Atlantic flight and  trying to play another gig which essentially is 72 hours later (We all know its The Cure Sunday) isnt going to do this voice an favours. He maybe scared of his voice not being up to it for such a big gig.

Plus they've got to get the rest of the band, all the roadies and gear over here as well. 

Like some have said, he may have been offered more dates to stay in the US and it's far more viable to stay over there and maybe play 2020. 

nah, I don't buy that at all.

he's playing back-to-back gigs on his upcoming dates, 3+ days rest is more than enough time off.

roadies and gear don't take some special amount of time. the backline equipment etc. will all be rented locally. all they need is personnel and instruments brought over, which is as easy as sticking them on a bog standard commercial flight.

Edited by ghostdancer1

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

Macca's voice is fine. It's not like he's been on 40 a day for the last 30 years. 'His voice has gone' is rapidly becoming a new urban myth alongside 'Paul is dead'. It seems the sole basis of this myth is the Olympic appearance over 6 years ago which was more to do with sound issues with the monitors, etc rather than his voice.

Paul's voice is dead man. Miss it, miss it.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:41 PM, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

The point wasn’t about it being a strong trio though, it was about it being one for the history books which it will be regardless of who else headlines.

It depends what type of books we're talking about. If they're comprehensive lists of Glastonbury lineups, I'd be disappointed if the 2019 page was missing.

His US tour was announced at the end of August, if he has been booked for Glastonbury for a little while he would have known his schedule well before. I can't imagine months later he's then decided 3/4 days in between isn't enough time, after originally agreeing to do it

re: adding more dates.

I've said before and it actually made me sceptical that he'd play at one point but the Arroyo Seco Weekend has taken place on the last weekend of June both times it's been on. It's booked by Paul Tollett, who is lead booker at Coachella and one-time Desert Trip - both of which Paul McCartney has played - and Sir Paul seems a pretty good headline option for them following on from Tom Petty and Neil Young. What's more, it's in California where there are no upcoming Macca shows and it's obviously one state over from Arizona so it's no time at all.