2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Just now, Mash011 said:

I dunno if they really are digging The Cure back up to headline I wouldn't completely rule out something daft like the Chillis happening in future. Obviously different cases but we all agreed The Cure were past their days as a relevant G headliner until Neil came in with info saying it was happening, right? 

Difficult to say. Ten years ago, I'd have said so - but those R+L slots were raptuously received back in 2012 and their reputation for mammoth performances through the Hammersmith Christmas Shows, the RAH Teenage Cancer gigs and the 2016 World Tour get them ticking over in terms of public... notoriety? (If that's the right word.)

Then, when the BST gig sold out with a snap of the fingers, it kind of capped off their return to the limelight. Folk will have looked at the demand for that show and gone "Yes, I'd fancy a little bit of that".

So I'd have had them as a prospective headline option since 2012 at the very least. But I do get why folk are a little nonplussed by them being touted as a lock.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I see people talking about RHCP so time to bust out the obligatory Nick Cave quote:

Two years ago, when asked about current music, Nick Cave focused his ire on one band in particular. "I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the fuck is this GARBAGE?'" he fumed. "And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers."

Amazing really coming from the most overrated, insufferable, dog shit artist in the history of music.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

A buck-naked Nick Cave, fresh from a visit to the Sock Shop, walking out onto the crowd hollering Stagger Lee clad only in some hosiery pulled over his winkie.

You have a splendid ability to generate horrible images in the minds of others, Dear Gonz.

9 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Sometimes the jokes just write themselves. 

I say why stop at RHCP. Why not see what Fred Durst and the lads are up to? Give Korn a bell? Let’s get the whole Kerrang early 00’s playlist together.

Edited by Tommy Dickfingers

3 hours ago, Mash011 said:

I dunno if they really are digging The Cure back up to headline I wouldn't completely rule out something daft like the Chillis happening in future. Obviously different cases but we all agreed The Cure were past their days as a relevant G headliner until Neil came in with info saying it was happening, right? 

Well if you think about it they've exhausted the big 70s acts (Neil Young etc), so really it's only a matter of time until they start mining the 80s

23 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I say why stop at RHCP. Why not see what Fred Durst and the lads are up to? Give Korn a bell? Let’s get the whole Kerrang early 00’s playlist together.

That can’t be what you think their reach is lol. That’d be a dreadful take.

They’re p shit but they’re still as much an entry-level rock band as Foo Fighters, and their popularity is only a smidge below them too. Again, I don’t think they’ll ever play but, if they did, they’d get a bigger crowd than most possible headliners.

Now my memories are very hazy of the late 90's and 2000's, but if I remember rightly the RHCP were absolutely huge and were seen as quite a hip and credible band. They were seen as far more credible than Green Day and far, far bigger than bands like Pearl Jam. Now admittedly I was into Italian House and plinky plonk piano handbag house during those times, but the RHCP were the massive cross over success if I remember correctly.

When did they become the butt of everyone's ire and why?