2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

Could be wrong, but isn’t the source that mentioned The Cure to Neil the same source that mentioned Arctic Monkeys? 

The Cure and Macca. AM only just made SR and Neil said he wasn't sure. 

4 hours ago, TomViolence said:

The Killers smashed it last year, proper triumph. Can't see them headlining again though. I certainly wouldn't have made the effort to see them if they were on later than they were and I got the impression others wouldn't have either. 

I'm fully on board with Gaga doing it and The Cure. Hopefully I get to see LDR / Tame Impala or a Park headliner on the other day :D

Yeah I wasn't missing Barry Gibb and Chic to queue and stand outside for it, it looked very good but I imagine most bands that size if a small tent like JP for their size anyway would be a similar outcome.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Which is exactly why it shouldn't happen - I'm sure AM don't want to become another Glastonbury house band like Muse and Coldplay have become. They'd benefit a lot from giving it another few years.

You are correct tbh.

7 minutes ago, kevbizarre said:

On a selfish note I really hope it isn’t AM as I saw them at Primavera this summer. Also I wasn’t that impressed with the set  but I think that was more to do with the crowd / environment than them 

That's not selfish. If anything, you've taken one for the team and confirmed they're still ass at headlining festivals.

35 minutes ago, kevbizarre said:

On a selfish note I really hope it isn’t AM as I saw them at Primavera this summer. Also I wasn’t that impressed with the set  but I think that was more to do with the crowd / environment than them 

Seen them twice this year. At the RAH just after Tranquility Base came out and they were pretty poor, still getting to grips with the new material. Saw them again at the O2 last month and they were excellent.

Happy to see them out for next year though, there’s no real need for them to return yet.

Edited by Hugh Jass

3 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I know EN wasnt recieved well (even though I dont agree) and their tour is over... but is Arcade Fire an option? 

Do you think they would headline now? I thought they were a strange choice for headliner (popularity wise rather that quality wise) when they got the gig.

1 hour ago, kevbizarre said:

They were excellent when I saw them at the O2. One of the gigs of the year. But my friend saw them at Rock Werchter as well and said that was terrible. Mainly due to the crowd apparently being completely lifeless apart from when they played 'Do I Wanna Know?'.

4 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Eminem will never headline Glastonbury.

Have to agree with this, though his latest album was the best he's done in a while. 2002/03 was his headlining peak but even then he was best known for making catchy hip-pop that was most notable for violence, homophobia and puerile name calling. Can't really see any of that welcome at Worthy Farm.

3 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Not just all that's been mentioned but Eminem wouldn't headline as he wants the money. He's had his chance. 

Do you think he was offered a shot? In 2003 they had Moby as a headliner, so it's clear what side of the fence they came down on.

16 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

They were excellent when I saw them at the O2. One of the gigs of the year. But my friend saw them at Rock Werchter as well and said that was terrible. Mainly due to the crowd apparently being completely lifeless apart from when they played 'Do I Wanna Know?'.

Yes similar at Primavera - crowd talked through every track that wasn’t a radio friendly banger and the sound was way too quiet 

Just now, kalifire said:

Do you think he was offered a shot? In 2003 they had Moby as a headliner, so it's clear what side of the fence they came down on.

As it's been said, Eminem gets millions from every show he does. It's not about being offered the opportunity, the ball's in Eminem's court.

I think if his people contacted Glastonbury saying that Eminem really wants to play and will take the standard fee, he'd be signed up there and then. We might tell ourselves that he doesn't fit with the ethos or he's not relevant anymore but he's a massively popular, iconic artist - still one of the biggest in the world - and would be a whopping booking for the festival.

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I think so. He was one of the biggest acts in the world in 2000-2003 really with Marshall mathers LP and Eminem show. He would have played then I reckon but he would have cost them a fortune and we know GF have a budget. Ball is and always will be in Eminems court. If he suddenly fancied it they would sign him up tomorrow 

56 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Do you think they would headline now? I thought they were a strange choice for headliner (popularity wise rather that quality wise) when they got the gig.

I'm a massive fan and think theyre amazing live... to me theyre a perfect headline act, but thats the nature of things... everyone has different opinions.

56 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Nah only one album since they last headlined and I can't imagine they'll still be touring it next Summer. Plus I doubt they'll headline again anyway.

I agree with the 1 album thing, but I think if they put out another album and it goes over better than EN did, we'd see them on the farm again. (I hope)