2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, Username taken said:

With the new mooted Killers / Cure headline thinking, are we now suggesting that the Strokes rumours were dud?  Or are we looking at a secret set / Other headliner?

I’ll definitely take the strokes over the streets for other headliners. I don’t think anything else has been mentioned about the strokes the  past couple of weeks. 

I may be spending every night at the other stage if it  ends up being tame impala, chemical brothers and the strokes. That’d be a first.

5 minutes ago, Username taken said:

With the new mooted Killers / Cure headline thinking, are we now suggesting that the Strokes rumours were dud?  Or are we looking at a secret set / Other headliner?

I think we’ve got all three Other headliners predicted with Tame Impala, The Streets and Chems. Still think the secret set is going to be Muse but might be wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Wembley stadium? Are they that big here? I thought their fans tended to be ones that never go to concerts?

They played the O2 arena last year around October time and I heard on Radio 1 that they were the first band ever to have sold out a UK arena without visiting and playing here previously.

Edited by ManLj

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Enough of them go to shift 80,000 tickets.

They have a big following on twitter but that usually is from 10 year old kids who send death threats to other users when they aren’t in school.

unless I’m seriously out of touch they aint selling 80k tickets in the UK

1 minute ago, ManLj said:

They played the O2 arena last year around October time and I heard on Radio 1 that they were the first band ever to have sold out a UK arena without visiting and playing here previously.

Well damn. I just assumed that their fans here don’t tend to be concert goers.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

They have a big following on twitter but that usually is from 10 year old kids who send death threats to other users when they aren’t in school.

unless I’m seriously out of touch they aint selling 80k tickets in the UK

As mentioned above, they sold out an arena tour ridiculously quickly this year. They'll sell it out no worries.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

As mentioned above, they sold out an arena tour ridiculously quickly this year. They'll sell it out no worries.

On a side note i’m surprised coachella has beaten glastonbury to putting K Pop Acts on the lineup. I think that it’s definitely within the festivals moto to represent the global music scene.

However, if what you’ve said is true and some of these K Pop acts can shift 80k tickets they might not be within Glastonbury’s reach. Also if they demanded a prominent slot I reckon it wouldn’t exactly work.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

On a side note i’m surprised coachella has beaten glastonbury to putting K Pop Acts on the lineup. I think that it’s definitely within the festivals moto to represent the global music scene.

However, if what you’ve said is true and some of these K Pop acts can shift 80k tickets they might not be within Glastonbury’s reach. Also if they demanded a prominent slot I reckon it wouldn’t exactly work.

The Coachella demographic is much younger and trendier than Glastonbury. Doubt you’ll see a headline trio completely bereft of rock bands at Glastonbury for a couple of decades at least.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Surely all the same arguments against the likes of the Spice Girls and X factor winners are even stronger against acts like that playing Glastonbury, with the major demographic issue added to the mix too. 

17 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

I think we’ve got all three Other headliners predicted with Tame Impala, The Streets and Chems. Still think the secret set is going to be Muse but might be wrong. 

Can’t see muse doing a secret set, unless someone has some info of course!  I had thought biffy clyro doing their unplugged thingy they have been promoting over the winter might make an appearance. 

13 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Surely all the same arguments against the likes of the Spice Girls and X factor winners are even stronger against acts like that playing Glastonbury, with the major demographic issue added to the mix too. 

Yeah you’re right. The important factor is crossover. It’s fine for acts to be big with a younger demographic and play glastonbury, but there must be some crossover with the glastonbury crowd.

I reckon Little Mix would probably go down well at Glastonbury but no other X Factor winner. I highly doubt it would happen though. 

What I mean is booking a k Pop act low down on the lineup would be a nice touch and good fun. But it seems that a lot of K Pop Acts are large ticket sellers so they probably wouldn’t want a low slot. Despite the fact that if they did get a big slot it would probably tank due to very little crossover with the glastonbury crowd. Of course, they wouldn’t know that though.

58 minutes ago, Havors said:

Maybe... his performances over the last 2 years have made people more interested. He was good in 2017 but the crowd was nothing special. Was very good at Isle of wight last year subbing depeche mode.

Cant see him pulling a bigger crowd that the Killers... and Kylie being on the legend slot will be rammed. 

I will say though I would be happy to see Liam play again he was very good at Isle of wight last year. 

He had probably the biggest non headliner crowd in 2017, more people there on the Other than the Pyramid subs. People did this last time where they underestimated his pulling power but much the same I think he'll outdo expectations again. I wouldnt be surprised if he did more than Stormzy tbh. I dont think either The Killers or The Cure will do a lot more either if that is indeed the line-up.

Liam is more popular in this country than all three headliners, mainly due to Oasis but that doesnt really matter because its still a factor as to why he can. 

19 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Can’t see muse doing a secret set, unless someone has some info of course!  I had thought biffy clyro doing their unplugged thingy they have been promoting over the winter might make an appearance. 

Dammit I got very excited then but agree, Muse aren't playing at all, only day they are free is 28th and I just don't see them coming back to do a secret set when they are in with a shout of being one of the three headliners next year.

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah you’re right. The important factor is crossover. It’s fine for acts to be big with a younger demographic and play glastonbury, but there must be some crossover with the glastonbury crowd.

I reckon Little Mix would probably go down well at Glastonbury but no other X Factor winner. I highly doubt it would happen though. 

What I mean is booking a k Pop act low down on the lineup would be a nice touch and good fun. But it seems that a lot of K Pop Acts are large ticket sellers so they probably wouldn’t want a low slot. Despite the fact that if they did get a big slot it would probably tank due to very little crossover with the glastonbury crowd. Of course, they wouldn’t know that though.

Doubt you would get a manufactured K-Pop taking the risk but for an indie band like Hyukoh or similar I could see it happening

53 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Wembley stadium? Are they that big here? I thought their fans tended to be ones that never go to concerts?

Oh you bet they do go to concerts. And not just that - they buy those overpriced lightbulbs that flash during the show and tons and tons of other merch. I even read they had to put extra restrictions on as to how early you can come to the venue because people would camp there for days ahead.

And though they need to shift 80,000 tickets, first you need to divide it by two because most of the fans will need to bring along a parent. And second they only have two European shows announced so far which could get a lot of international fans (I hate to admit it but me inclusive) to come over.

K-pop at Glasto and other major festival is bound to happen at some point, probably just not this year.

6 minutes ago, Ninety9 said:

Doubt you would get a manufactured K-Pop taking the risk but for an indie band like Hyukoh or similar I could see it happening

Come to think of it, I think they might actually be willing to get low spot with only a couple of songs and not a full show just so that they can boast that they played at Glastonbury and cemented K-pop, Korean artists and non-English non-Spanish speakers in general in the public opinion.

Last week BTS flew all the way from Korea to the Grammys just to pose on the red carpet and sing along to Dolly Parton and it was by far the most tweeted about moment of the whole show. Them appearing at Glasto even for a minute would be massive.

1 hour ago, The Martini Police said:

His crowd in 2017 was enormous! Where were you standing? I came in from the food vans at the back maybe 10 mins before it started and it was a struggle to move further forward. It went so far back that it merged with queues for food. I've never seen a bigger crowd there (but people on here have said Rag n Bone Man's was massive too).

Yep. Was massive even from the tail end of Kaiser Chiefs when I was trying to find my mates, who were not close to the front.

The crowd was ridiculous, anyone who says they could just walk through and people were sitting down was at the wrong stage, had the wrong day, or was completely spangled!

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Venues mean very little though, if it was only on venues then BTS would be headlining to gawps of bewilderment from 99% of the crowd.

He won't headline because he only has album of solo material and a load of Oasis covers.

Find it a bit odd when people say "a load of Oasis covers".

I mean come on, it's not like Richard Ashcroft is getting up there and singing those Oasis songs. It's the actual bloke who sang them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nysmaw said:

Come to think of it, I think they might actually be willing to get low spot with only a couple of songs and not a full show just so that they can boast that they played at Glastonbury and cemented K-pop, Korean artists and non-English non-Spanish speakers in general in the public opinion.

Last week BTS flew all the way from Korea to the Grammys just to pose on the red carpet and sing along to Dolly Parton and it was by far the most tweeted about moment of the whole show. Them appearing at Glasto even for a minute would be massive.

I think you overesitmate the global significance/appeal of Glastonbury here. The Grammys is something completely different. Apart from the demographic/fan base, think they prefer complete freedom in stage set up/possibilities. In the end, Glastonbury is not diverse in its crowds.

4 minutes ago, briddj said:

Yep. Was massive even from the tail end of Kaiser Chiefs when I was trying to find my mates, who were not close to the front.

The crowd was ridiculous, anyone who says they could just walk through and people were sitting down was at the wrong stage, had the wrong day, or was completely spangled!

Another in agreement here. Packed.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

He's a bit of a special case though (in more ways than one), before his solo comeback he was barely selling out academies with Beady Eye (and they actually had members of Oasis too) but somehow generated a huge wave of enthusiasm for his solo album by sheer force of personality and novelty factor alone, which is pretty impressive. Whether the second album and future tours will be met with the same degree of enthusiasm now he's been around a bit and everyone's had the chance to see him is another question altogether.

I'll tell you why:

Greg Kurstin
Dan Grech-Marguerat
Andrew Wyatt
Michael Tighe

• Upvote 1