rzwodezwo

2019 Headliners

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

You’re not in the joke thread anymore.

i can do jokes about the reading and leeds acts and if an act drops out just get me a slot.

Not as a pyramid headliner, but what are the chances of Ozzy Osbourne showing up somewhere? Apparently he's retiring so it would make sense to do it next year. Other Stage headliner perhaps? I know he's more suitable for Download but I'd say he's significant enough to for Glasto to make an exception...

9 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Not as a pyramid headliner, but what are the chances of Ozzy Osbourne showing up somewhere? Apparently he's retiring so it would make sense to do it next year. Other Stage headliner perhaps? I know he's more suitable for Download but I'd say he's significant enough to for Glasto to make an exception...

I don’t think Glastonbury is significant enough for Sharon to make an exception.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:14 AM, zahidf said:

i think last time they played, they were massively late on stage because they were watching the World cup

that would have been the France-Brazil penalty shootout of 86, not 95. I wasn't at Worthy Farm that saturday night, but was in the Milton Keynes Bowl watching a Glasgow band that subbed them on the Pyramid 9 years later. 

Don't think she will headline but see Ariana Grande has a new single out.

Think she must be inline for a high spot.

6 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

Don't think she will headline but see Ariana Grande has a new single out.

Think she must be inline for a high spot.

It's a shame she wasn't on the line-up last year. I think after the One Love gig in Manchester, a Glasto appearance would have been quite special with a huge crowd. 

I can totally see Ariana Grande getting booked. Not as a headline though. 

40 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I can totally see Ariana Grande getting booked. Not as a headline though. 

Strong sub in this day and age, I think, and not even strictly to a massive pop headliner. Very much of the Biffy Clyro/XX/Foals level (obviously not music-wise) - enough sales, recognition and currency to be a very strong sub, but perhaps a shade below headliner.

Really not sure who to lean on as my picks now. Still gunning for The 1975 and AM to be two options within the next two festivals - and that they will do R+L in the others.

If AM willing to wait for that 50th Anniversary date, then:

2019: The 1975, ???, ???
2020: ???, Arctic Monkeys, ???

I really want to think that there's only a maximum of two former headliners in the next six. I know that the expectation of size for a Glasto headliner has gone through the roof since 2011, but plenty of strong shouts who may not be stadium-fillers to play. (See earlier in post, tbh. These are the sort of sales, if adjusting for the times, that would have been the mark a decade and  a half ago).

20 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Strong sub in this day and age, I think, and not even strictly to a massive pop headliner. Very much of the Biffy Clyro/XX/Foals level (obviously not music-wise) - enough sales, recognition and currency to be a very strong sub, but perhaps a shade below headliner.

Really not sure who to lean on as my picks now. Still gunning for The 1975 and AM to be two options within the next two festivals - and that they will do R+L in the others.

If AM willing to wait for that 50th Anniversary date, then:

2019: The 1975, ???, ???
2020: ???, Arctic Monkeys, ???

I really want to think that there's only a maximum of two former headliners in the next six. I know that the expectation of size for a Glasto headliner has gone through the roof since 2011, but plenty of strong shouts who may not be stadium-fillers to play. (See earlier in post, tbh. These are the sort of sales, if adjusting for the times, that would have been the mark a decade and  a half ago).

Why would they wait?, it's a 3rd year of touring and why would Glasto want it 3 years later. Muse is probably the only headliner of recent times at all to play the year after covering another English festival and even at that it was a niche festival.

Not as a headliner, but I can see Kylie getting booked for the sunday afternoon slot (similar to Barry Gibbs) 

3 hours ago, stanh said:

Not as a headliner, but I can see Kylie getting booked for the sunday afternoon slot (similar to Barry Gibbs) 

I think this is a decent suggestion. I was thinking of her as a potential subheadliner, but I think she'd go down better in an afternoon slot as you suggest. I'm all for her being booked in that sort of slot too.

21 hours ago, jj200 said:

i can see years and years getting booked for next year.

As a headliner? No chance, surely. They're not big enough.

I think The 1975 are a fairly decent shout for 2019. The Killers, too?.

Coldplay will almost certainly be at the 50th anniversary. 

Edited by DareToDibble

11 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

As a headliner? No chance, surely. They're not big enough.

I think The 1975 are a fairly decent shout for 2019. The Killers, too?.

Coldplay will almost certainly be at the 50th anniversary. 

The Killers are headlining Latitude this year so I think any chance of them returning to headline Glastonbury is long gone, hence why they were given the secret slot in the John Peel last year.

I think Beyoncé's out. Like, I couldn't see OTR II happening throughout this year if she was preparing for a solo tour. Maybe the year after with a new album in tow?

Warm to Rihanna being the pop/non-rock headliner. It looks like she is setting up for a new album and she's probably not gonna be doing the big stadium tours anymore so might be looking at festivals again.

33 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think Beyoncé's out. Like, I couldn't see OTR II happening throughout this year if she was preparing for a solo tour. Maybe the year after with a new album in tow?

Warm to Rihanna being the pop/non-rock headliner. It looks like she is setting up for a new album and she's probably not gonna be doing the big stadium tours anymore so might be looking at festivals again.

Rihanna is setting up to launch a lingerie line if that's what you're talking about :P No hints for new music yet

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Rihanna is setting up to launch a lingerie line if that's what you're talking about :P No hints for new music yet

That could work.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

The Killers are headlining Latitude this year so I think any chance of them returning to headline Glastonbury is long gone, hence why they were given the secret slot in the John Peel last year.

I assumed it was down to Lattitude growing rather than The Killers shrinking.

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

I assumed it was down to Lattitude growing rather than The Killers shrinking.

Little bit of both. The Killers definitely aren't quite the powerhouse they once were, and Latitude seem to be making headliner bids for major festival headliners on a downward trend in recent year, with Noel Gallagher, Mumford & Sons, and now The Killers. The Killers definitely aren't big, or more specifically, relevant enough to be booked to headline by Glastonbury now.

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Little bit of both. The Killers definitely aren't quite the powerhouse they once were, and Latitude seem to be making headliner bids for major festival headliners on a downward trend in recent year, with Noel Gallagher, Mumford & Sons, and now The Killers. The Killers definitely aren't big, or more specifically, relevant enough to be booked to headline by Glastonbury now.

They're big enough to headline Glastonbury for sure. Sold out Hyde Park quickly last year, did an arena tour since and are still headlining IOW, Latitude, TRNSMT and stadiums this summer. Their relevance is disputable of couse, as it is for most headline-sized rock bands, but they're not too far out the other end that they'd be met with shrugs and "the killers songs" google searches.

The Killers playing Latitude is just a very big thing for Latitude really, as far as I can see. You can't even find a poster where their name is on the same line as the other headliners, in a move that is the festival lineup equivalent of Donald Trump pushing the Montenegro PM out of the way and standing at the front, puffing his chest out. It's just a bit of a weird year for UK festivals.

The Killers are a bigger ticket seller than Radiohead and Florence and the Machine. And 2015 The Who also I think but I didn't keep tabs on their tour so not as confident saying that. 

They would obviously be above Latitude if they weren't doing it on top of all those other gigs. Comparing them to Mumfords and Noel Gallagher is ridiculous.

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I think that's wrong a bit, I still think The Killers could headline myself but feel next year would have been more ideal in a year they could get away with it more maybe. They still have all the hits for it but having done HP and then the gigs this year I can only see next if they settled for less.

Noel Gallagher was never a major festival headliner. He never got asked to headline anything but T when they were almost down and out when he did Latitude....it was a shocking. The Killers are doing the same thing in a way of TRNSMT this year but they at least have sold out their own big outdoor HP show which is hard 

The Killers easily have enough hits and still a big enough presence for a 90min Pyramid headline set.

whether or not they're still touring next summer is a different matter.

Edited by ghostdancer1