2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Not sure about that. There's been one-album headliners at Glasto on occasions, and there's few first albums that went as big as theirs did.

Having said that I reckon it'd be a very odd booking today. Despite that album being so big it's impact was mostly into a quite small age-niche rather than one that reached across a wide range of ages. I reckon it'd have a big part of the country saying "who?", to a bigger extent than's happened with other headliners.

I know at the moment you're probably just going off the same info as us (Grimshaw and the person on here) but, do you reckon they'll headline?..

31 minutes ago, LiamMcMillen said:

I saw The 1975 last night and, whether you like them or not, their stage presence, lighting, catalogue, and stage design would have been perfect for the Pyramid this year. Especially with the lack of a ‘big’ headliner

I think they would be seen as a weak headliner as well tbh. Similarly they would fare better with a big name alongside them but theyre on the cusp of being legit headliners tbf. 

Not my bag but theyve done well the last few years, I remember them playing fairly small venues and that doesnt seem that long ago. 

Edited by chatty

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If anyone heard that The Strokes were headlining Glastonbury and said “who?”, they’re not Glastonbury’s market. It’s seriously unimaginable.

I wasn't saying that about glasto-goers but the wider public.

A public - a Glastonbury-going public, as it happen (the locals) - who I know went 'who?' when Muse were announced as headliner, and a public where a sizable number went 'who?' when Arcade Fire were announced.

I reckon The Strokes would have less penetration with the general public than both of those did.

Edited by eFestivals

24 minutes ago, LiamMcMillen said:

I saw The 1975 last night and, whether you like them or not, their stage presence, lighting, catalogue, and stage design would have been perfect for the Pyramid this year. Especially with the lack of a ‘big’ headliner

I could honestly see them being a sub this year and that being our big unexpected thing for this year, and headlining in two or three years’ time. Not saying that they should sub or don’t deserve headline but they could probably be tempted into playing even if possibly all three headliners are smaller fish than they are.

10 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I know at the moment you're probably just going off the same info as us (Grimshaw and the person on here) but, do you reckon they'll headline?..

nope.

If they were headlining then I reckon that's part of what Grim Nickshaw would have said. I reckon that bit of info would be irremovably-attached to them playing if they were headlining.

19 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Strokes have never been Glastonbury headliner status. Had the Eavii booked them in 2002/2003, it would have been a great booking of a great band with potential...and probably could have got a sub spot at best. That time has long passed. 

Music press (and to be fair most of Joe Public) absolutely fell for an emerging, very cool band from New York with a belter of a song in Last Nite. Decent album followed and then.... classic shone brightly and then quickly faded territory. To see them now is to see a bunch of 40 year olds trying to pretend it's 2001 and they are young and cool. Absolutely go through the motions live.

Re:Gaga. Would love her to play but don't think she will. I fear she will be one of the great lost Glastonbury headliners.

I'm increasingly getting the fear that the headliners this year will be the weakest set in a good 10 years. I suppose you have to put it in context that for the last 10 years we've had an unprecedented level of headliner status and it was always unsustainable. 

I think The Strokes could have headlined back in 02/03. It might have been seen as a punt on an up and coming band, but I could see it.

Aside from that I agree with absolutely everything else you said.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If anyone heard that The Strokes were headlining Glastonbury and said “who?”, they’re not Glastonbury’s market. It’s seriously unimaginable.

It's not that unimaginable dawg. Babies born around the time of Is This It will be adults this year, any of them who aren't actively into indie rock could very plausibly not really know anything about The Strokes. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

A public - a Glastonbury-going public, as it happen (the locals) - who I know went 'who?' when Muse were announced as headliner, and a public where a sizable number went 'who?' when Arcade Fire were announced.

I reckon The Strokes would have less penetration with the general public than both of those did.

That’s like the general public who think Glastonbury is for weirdos who don’t shower and they’ve only been to see Take That in their life, ainit? Glasto doesn’t need to play to them really.

Just now, eFestivals said:

nope.

If they were headlining then I reckon that's part of what Grim Nickshaw would have said. I reckon that bit of info would be irremovably-attached to them playing if they were headlining.

Unless they were down to sub Macca before he dropped out, and were bumped up ? (assuming the timeline makes sense)

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It's not that unimaginable dawg. Babies born around the time of Is This It will be adults this year, any of them who aren't actively into indie rock could very plausibly not really know anything about The Strokes. 

The fuck would they be doing at Glasto then? Maybe if the headliners were Post Malone, Deadbeat Dad and Bad Girl Riri but ones The fooking Cure mate.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I could honestly see them being a sub this year and that being our big unexpected thing for this year, and headlining in two or three years’ time. Not saying that they should sub or don’t deserve headline but they could probably be tempted into playing even if possibly all three headliners are smaller fish than they are.

I think they could easily headline. It wouldn't be the strongest booking but certainly a great booking of a band getting bigger all the time.

Personally I think they are this years secret set / tbc. Gets around the R&L issue.

Just now, Keithy said:

I think they could easily headline. It wouldn't be the strongest booking but certainly a great booking of a band getting bigger all the time.

Personally I think they are this years secret set / tbc. Gets around the R&L issue.

I know. I was trying my best not to open this debate. I could just imagine there being a surprise in that The 1975 appear on the poster out of nowhere.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The fuck would they be doing at Glasto then? Maybe if the headliners were Post Malone, Deadbeat Dad and Bad Girl Riri but ones The fooking Cure mate.

TBF anyone goes to Glastonbury. Loads of people in my work tried to get tickets and Ive had to have conversations explaining who The Beach Boys were. Its that big a deal, people want to go just for the craic even if they arent music fans. 

I mean how many festivals can sell out without a single band being announced. 

We've all been saying The Cure are a more niche headliner than usual and predicting a tiny crowd for them tho. Also I've not watched a Pyramid headliner in years, doesn't mean I'm not the target.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

In terms of name recognition in the wider British public I'd say 1. Muse (comfortably, as well) 2. The Strokes 3. Arcade Fire. The exact opposite of how good they are. It's a weird one with Arcade Fire, so many (in the UK at least) seem to have missed them and I was one of them for a good few years. I reckon Arcade Fire have been the band I've encouraged more mates to give a go more than any other (everyone is already familiar with my other favourites).

Who are these people who've never heard of Muse though? That's Madness.

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

We've all been saying The Cure are a more niche headliner than usual and predicting a tiny crowd for them tho. Also I've not watched a Pyramid headliner in years, doesn't mean I'm not the target.

But you know who The Strokes are.

Thought you watched Radiohead anyway?

6 minutes ago, chatty said:

TBF anyone goes to Glastonbury. Loads of people in my work tried to get tickets and Ive had to have conversations explaining who The Beach Boys were. Its that big a deal, people want to go just for the craic even if they arent music fans. 

I mean how many festivals can sell out without a single band being announced. 

Exactly so why do they need to avoid confusing those? 

5 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

In terms of name recognition in the wider British public I'd say 1. Muse (comfortably, as well) 2. The Strokes 3. Arcade Fire. The exact opposite of how good they are. It's a weird one with Arcade Fire, so many (in the UK at least) seem to have missed them and I was one of them for a good few years. I reckon Arcade Fire have been the band I've encouraged more mates to give a go more than any other (everyone is already familiar with my other favourites).

I don't know a single person who could name a Muse song, album or be able to pick them out on an identity parade. 

7 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I agree. Arcade Fire in particular are a weird one, would only ever headline, yet their mainstream UK exposure seems minuscule

But you know who The Strokes are.

Thought you watched Radiohead anyway?

Ah fuck, I forgot about that. I actually only watched 45 minutes before leaving, so my point still stands.

Also you can't prove that I know who The Strokes are.