2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

19 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Difference being whilst you're probably right about The Killers tailing off as well, that didn't happen until after their third album. Hot Fuss was massive and their biggest album but Sam's Town and Day & Age are huge too. They usually play the most from Hot Fuss but a fair whack from the other two as well and don't just rely on the one album. I've also heard The Strokes are dead live, Killers put on a hell of a show at the JP apparently. For what it's worth I don't like The Killers and wouldn't see them but they're a stronger headliner than The Strokes.

one of the best atmospheres for a gig i've been at at Glastonbury tbh. it helped that it was an hour of pretty much hit after hit.

This is why the Killers would be better than The Strokes

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

it helped that it was an hour of pretty much hit after hit

Surely no matter your opinion on how good the songs actually are, commercially they've been more successful than The Strokes and therefore would be a more suitable headliner.

12 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Dunno why The Killers are picking up so many mentions really. They’ve done Glasto and plenty of UK shows over the last two summers. They could well jump at the chance to fly over outside of schedule for another go on the Pyramid but so could many acts; some are even UK based so it’s not a big thing.

Chilis actually look to be touring a new album this year and are much more likely to actually have some summer dates plotted. And may God have mercy on us all. 

good shout. whatever about not being everyone's cup of tea, they certainly have enough hits and stature to headline. I'd imagine most people that went to the Foos would go to RHCP as well.

just keep the new stuff to a minimum and keep your shirt on please Anthony, you're in your 50s for god's sake.

10 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

one of the best atmospheres for a gig i've been at at Glastonbury tbh. it helped that it was an hour of pretty much hit after hit.

I'd give or take The Killers tbh I'm not that fussed but this gig was incredible and I felt very lucky to be there. Hits everywhere.

17 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

What a load of bollox.

Popular single off their massive debut album - must be their best song ? It isn't even the best on that album.

Why is it a problem that their parents were rich and successful before they did what they loved and picked up a guitar and became successful themselves to so many people on here? 

Really struggling to get your link with American Girl.

I'm absolutely gutted about Macca too, by the way...and I'm still not convinced The Strokes will be headlining The Pyramid, for what it's worth.

I should have said, their biggest song not necessarily best. And to be clear, the rich thing doesn't bother me in itself, it's the manor in which they've always presented themselves; arrogant/ spoilt/ entitled. 

20 minutes ago, 42hamlet said:

Wasn't Prince supposed to play before Kasabian got the call instead? Cause there's your answer... 

And I actually like Kasabian 

Oh hey buuuuud. Gonna reply to your facebook message here because why not eh? How come you're so skeptical of The Cure rumour now? And why are half of us absolutely convinced by no Madonna with the other half saying maybe after Emily's post? 

3 minutes ago, woyski said:

Oh hey buuuuud. Gonna reply to your facebook message here because why not eh? How come you're so skeptical of The Cure rumour now? And why are half of us absolutely convinced by no Madonna with the other half saying maybe after Emily's post? 

Mostly because it seems like a really bizarre fucking set of headliners without the context of a huge booking like Macca

4 minutes ago, 42hamlet said:

Mostly because it seems like a really bizarre fucking set of headliners without the context of a huge booking like Macca

It's really really weird especially after a year break.

Stormzy, let's be honest. It's brave and good to give someone new and up and coming bla blabla etc but he's nowhere near headline material. Headline Other stage at best. 

The Cure - Ok but feels a bit desperate. 

The Strokes - Jesus.

The really really needed someone like Macca for the other 2 to be accepted. Now it's just a bit shit.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FatAmmy said:

The strokes rise to headliner status in the last 4-5 years seems to have more to do with a lack of other options than anything else...They were 11th billed at Bonnaroo 2011

Yeah they're fine for a day time show or even a Peel headliner, maybe even the Other but absolutely preposterous as a Pyramid headliner.

But who else is there really outside of a handful of acts. Everyone big have either already played or are pushing up daisies. 

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah they're fine for a day time show or even a Peel headliner, maybe even the Other but absolutely preposterous as a Pyramid headliner.

But who else is there really outside of a handful of acts. Everyone big have either already played or are pushing up daisies. 

I think they’re easily an Other Stage headliner. But that’s probably it these days. 

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I feel like they'd be absolutely fantastic in a secret John Peel slot like the Killers slot last year and just thoroughly underwhelming in a Pyramid headline slot 

47 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Really struggling to get your link with American Girl.

This surprises me, I thought this was one of the most blatant borrowings ever. What do I know?

Didn't realise Grimshaw had started it, possibly some truth there then. Oh well. Saw them at Oxegen in 2006 (I think that was the year) and enjoyed them, but not sure I would see them again, and that video does sound very lazily sung and played, as someone else noted.

Still, I'm sure there will be something elsewhere. I'd just have liked a big old Pyramid classic headliner this year, but there you go. I'll enjoy Kylie, ha!

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I'd 100% see Queen over Stormzy and everyone I know given they are included as no extra would too.

If only there weren't insurmountable difficulties. Maybe we could get Mark Martel fronting a decent cover band and it would be as good! You heard him? Google/youtube that shit. Incredible. 

Strokes have never been Glastonbury headliner status. Had the Eavii booked them in 2002/2003, it would have been a great booking of a great band with potential...and probably could have got a sub spot at best. That time has long passed. 

Music press (and to be fair most of Joe Public) absolutely fell for an emerging, very cool band from New York with a belter of a song in Last Nite. Decent album followed and then.... classic shone brightly and then quickly faded territory. To see them now is to see a bunch of 40 year olds trying to pretend it's 2001 and they are young and cool. Absolutely go through the motions live.

Re:Gaga. Would love her to play but don't think she will. I fear she will be one of the great lost Glastonbury headliners.

I'm increasingly getting the fear that the headliners this year will be the weakest set in a good 10 years. I suppose you have to put it in context that for the last 10 years we've had an unprecedented level of headliner status and it was always unsustainable. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

isn't Gaga's "event" an industry conference thing? probably giving a talk/interview or something.

I think she's playing a few songs but yeah it's an IT conference. Can't see her doing any level of production so probably just belting out a few numbers on the piano.

Odd event to do as it's a sort of 'helps pay the bills corporate event' that I guess all artists do occasionally and dial in a performance but I'm not sure she's strapped for cash. Part of me wonders if it's part of the Vegas residency deal to do the odd corporate partner event.

9 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Strokes have never been Glastonbury headliner status. Had the Eavii booked them in 2002/2003, it would have been a great booking of a great band with potential...and probably could have got a sub spot at best. That time has long passed.

Not sure about that. There's been one-album headliners at Glasto on occasions, and there's few first albums that went as big as theirs did.

Having said that I reckon it'd be a very odd booking today. Despite that album being so big it's impact was mostly into a quite small age-niche rather than one that reached across a wide range of ages. I reckon it'd have a big part of the country saying "who?", to a bigger extent than's happened with other headliners.

Edited by eFestivals

43 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I'd give or take The Killers tbh I'm not that fussed but this gig was incredible and I felt very lucky to be there. Hits everywhere.

Ditto for me. Absolute perfect way to do an 11 song set. Was a great way to spend an hour.

Wouldn't see them if they headline as (a) there would be more filler and (b) 2017 was such a great gig that, for me, that's the best way to leave a band that I was never massively fussed about.