2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

10 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Mate if their biggest headliner has pulled out there's not a lot they can do. They can't just pick up whoever they want when most people who are active will have commitments elsewhere. In fact, if he has pulled out I'd say they'd have done pretty well to get Gaga to replace him.

Yeah it'd be weak, but obviously Stormzy was booked when they thought they had Macca, so they probably thought they could afford to have a smaller headliner alongside him. If Macca then pulls out and they can't get anyone near his size to replace him then they're stuck in that situation.

They can't just conjure up a Springsteen or a Rolling Stones or a Fleetwood Mac outta nowhere.

Understand your point mate but there is 0 chance lady gaga is headlining Glastonbury in my opinion, even as a panic buy.

If macca has pulled out they know which type of act they need to replace and i would say it's the furthest thing away from gaga. 

Muse Adele Coldplay - 3 biggest acts in the word available for booking at time

Radiohead Foos Ed - one of the best and biggest live acts ever, one of the biggest bands in the world, biggest British pop artist out of current crop 

Stormzy Lady Gaga The Cure - a rapper that's done one album (which wasn't brilliant, but not in any way bad, and seems a lovely bloke) / done a film to come back into relevance / big band (not an amazing booking but I will take it.)

no chance, not even as a panic. There isn't enough teeth in that 3, not with gaga. Everyone knows that.

Would be a right gutter if Macca is out as they're's no one left in the possibilities I'd be keen on. As much as I completely understand and largely agree with the 'there's plenty on elsewhere' approach, there is something special about seeing a Pyramid headliner. I've only managed two in my three previous years (Flo and Radiohead) and they were both special. As much as I enjoyed all of the headliners in 2016 (one night at WH and two at the Other) I did feel a bit strange not closing one night at the Pyramid. 

Fingers crossed Macca is still there.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles
for clarity
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Would be a right gutter if Macca is out as they're's no one left in the possibilities I'd be keen on. As much as I completely understand and largely agree with the 'there's plenty on elsewhere' approach, there is something special about seeing a Pyramid headliner. I've only managed two in my three previous years (Flo and Radiohead) and they were both special. As much as I enjoyed all of the headliners in 2016 (one night at WH and two at the Other) I did feel a bit strange not closing one night at the Pyramid. 

Fingers crossed Macca is still there.

Agree with all of this and we even saw the same two headliners ? thrown in 20 minutes of Kanye for me as well, before bailing out to PSB.

Also my girlfriend's first time and it would be a shame if we didn't see a Pyramid headliner. Macca is close to the top of our personal wishlist so I really hope it comes together.

Weird for people to be crying their eyes out about Gaga when she'd probably be the biggest of the three. Certainly the most theatrical and crowd pleasing of the three in terms of performance she'd put on. And she's a bit of a glaring omission that Glastonbury never booked her to headline before. Now is the time.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

Agree with all of this and we even saw the same two headliners ? thrown in 20 minutes of Kanye for me as well, before bailing out to PSB.

Also my girlfriend's first time and it would be a shame if we didn't see a Pyramid headliner. Macca is close to the top of our personal wishlist so I really hope it comes together.

Me and the missus did the same at Kanye! Although we ended up at Mothership at WH for the funk.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

If Gaga replaces Macca then I'd be gutted at missing Macca but excited to see Gaga. Id consider it a net loss in excitement though. Dream scenario is Gaga replacing The Cure. I just don't see Gaga showing up in either scenario. If Macca has pulled out I'd put all my chips on Mumford or Arctics. Nice, safe bookings and they would please the gomers throwing their dummies around re: Stormzy.

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

I'm still firmly in the camp in thinking Macca will be there.

Not trusting this sauce on twitter.

Emily said "we've got a couple of blokes headlining" what, a week or so ago? To me that suggests Stormzy & Macca and I can't see that having changed between then and now.

Did she mention anything which may have even slightly been in reference to The Cure? If not, I remain ever hopeful they won't be there.

That for me meant Stormzy and Liam.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

have we? :blink:

It seems pretty clear from the instagram Stormzy did that he was booked as headliner at the end of the summer.

That's a first choice.

Yeah we didn’t really hear this. I think this may have come from something I posted (which was more meant as how people there were lots of people posting various rumours that didn’t match)

46 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

Understand your point mate but there is 0 chance lady gaga is headlining Glastonbury in my opinion, even as a panic buy.

If macca has pulled out they know which type of act they need to replace and i would say it's the furthest thing away from gaga. 

Muse Adele Coldplay - 3 biggest acts in the word available for booking at time

Radiohead Foos Ed - one of the best and biggest live acts ever, one of the biggest bands in the world, biggest British pop artist out of current crop 

Stormzy Lady Gaga The Cure - a rapper that's done one album (which wasn't brilliant, but not in any way bad, and seems a lovely bloke) / done a film to come back into relevance / big band (not an amazing booking but I will take it.)

no chance, not even as a panic. There isn't enough teeth in that 3, not with gaga. Everyone knows that.

What did you think of the 2014 headliners?

1 hour ago, Honeybane said:

There isn't enough teeth in that 3, not with gaga. Everyone knows that.

Not if you’re expecting top shelf every night, every year. I can understand if you do, it’s been absolutely world class for years now, but the reality is that this is unsustainable. They can’t keep chasing big name acts who expect to be paid a fortune and we can’t keep expecting them to do that. 

I think there’s a lot of truth on what Emily said about creating headliners. A headline slot on the Pyramid needn’t cater for the entitled masses; it could be transformative - the festival putting their faith in an emerging superstar and offering them a chance to prove it. 

After Friday night next year, nobody will batter an eyelid to see Stormzy headline in the years to come. So what does he need to do in order to prove himself before that? And why should he? Why can’t his journey to the Pyramid include the Pyramid itself? That’s exciting, ambitious and forward thinking. And if he pulls it off, it’ll be transcendent. 

I for one welcome the headline slots to change from ‘what can we get?’ to ‘what might we be in for?’ 

Edited by kalifire
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Hawros said:

True. We’ve had a lot of feeling that Cure + Macca didn’t sit right, me included, so maybe he’s been / asked to be put back to 2020 for a while now. 

This happened when he headlined before. His people approached the festival asking to play 2003, but they already had the Saturday night headliner in place, so Michael asked them to do it the following year. 

"It was Saturday or nothing" - could the same have happened here? 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/2994648.stm

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Brunty9 said:

2014 headliners were/are big draws. All very well established. In my eyes, Arcade Fire, Metallica, Kasabian is significantly stronger than Stormzy, Macca, The Cure

So your problem is really with Stormzy, as if we're going by how well "established" a band is, I'm really not sure you can argue that about The Cure or Macca.

If we're going for general boredom inducement, then surely the inclusion of Kasabian in the 2014 trio really brings down their average.....