2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

The festival have taken their first risk in booking a headliner in fifteen years, booking a rising young British star for his first major headline set, giving the genre/scene he’s involved in arguably the biggest showcase it’s ever had.

Fairly historic imo.

The point still stands, re not one for the history books, in my opinion

Stormzy is a good booking, and I say that as someone with no interest in his music. I like The Cure but I think they are very take it or leave it for many. McCartney is ARGUABLY the greatest living songwriter, replacing him would be incredibly difficult. Book someone seen as weak and all of a sudden it's not such a good trio

33 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I’d heard that Gaga was being lined up for a big London show June/July. Add in the Bradley Cooper connection and the “someone I doubt you’d be very happy with” and she’s got to be the leading candidate.

If indeed Macca has pulled the plug.

Yes interesting that “someone I doubt you’d be very happy with” comment - are you not fond of Gaga, BSR, and is this well known among the twetterati??

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

When I say "conflicting schedules", I meant him potentially getting offered more shows in the US around the time and getting better money from it - creating conflict with the existing schedule - so you are thinking along the same hypothetical lines as I am. 

Yeah if he adds dates then we know you’re right and if he cancels dates then we know Billum and I are right.

Caveat: I don’t really think I’m right, I haven’t got a clue.

6 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Oh god please no and I love the Oasis brothers. But no no no.

Tbh if their choices originally went I can see them doing that. 1hr 30 mins with about 13 Oasis songs would go down very well. It may also stop him being bothered to do it with Oasis and Eavis probably wouldn't do the booking unless it was desperate for that reason.

At the minute I seen it as, The Cure big enough to headline....questionable now for many at Glasto and very take it it leave it. Stormzy, whilst a great booking for young British artists, isn't Glasto headliner sized imo and realistically shouldn't be doing it based on his size and nothing else, for me he hasn't done enough to warrant it.

Edited by thewayiam

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I've no doubt that the booking of Stormzy is a pretty bold one and hopefully one that pays off, but I doubt people are gonna look back in ten years time and think 'Wow I wish I was there in 2019 to see Stormzy'.

You weren’t talking about whether people would be looking at the set and saying they wish they were there, you were talking about it not being one for the history books, two separate things. Fact is this year will stand out as unique because of Stormzy.

18 minutes ago, mufcok said:

The point still stands, re not one for the history books, in my opinion

Stormzy is a good booking, and I say that as someone with no interest in his music. I like The Cure but I think they are very take it or leave it for many. McCartney is ARGUABLY the greatest living songwriter, replacing him would be incredibly difficult. Book someone seen as weak and all of a sudden it's not such a good trio

However great they are, The Cure and Paul McCartney are acts Glastonbury would usually book, and it would hardly raise controversy for the both of them to play. Having those two doesn’t make it a unique or historic year. 

2 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

You weren’t talking about whether people would be looking at the set and saying they wish they were there, you were talking about it not being one for the history books, two separate things. Fact is this year will stand out as unique because of Stormzy.

However great they are, The Cure and Paul McCartney are acts Glastonbury would usually book, and it would hardly raise controversy for the both of them to play. Having those two doesn’t make it a unique or historic year. 

Beg to differ on the McCartney front I'm afraid. How many UK festivals has he headlined since the 2004 slot, Isle of White once? It's possibly the ultimate coup and probably the last chance given his age. Historic is most certainly would be

10 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Beg to differ on the McCartney front I'm afraid. How many UK festivals has he headlined since the 2004 slot, Isle of White once? It's possibly the ultimate coup and probably the last chance given his age. Historic is most certainly would be

He’s hardly a rare booking who never plays in the UK, given he’s done multiple indoor and outdoor shows in the UK, year after year as well as playing European festivals. He’s as close to a typical Glastonbury booking you can get.

Would be pretty gutted if Macca isn’t playing after all. Would need to be a big booking to replace him, Stormzy and The Cure aren’t the strongest duo, a massive name next to them and it’d look alright. I like at least one Pyramid headliner each year and ended up with Ed last year ( All my mates were going, should have gone with Foo’s ). Up for AM / Gaga if it isn’t Macca 

Also does this mean Macca won’t be playing BST?

Edited by Ged Devereux

5 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

He’s hardly a rare booking who never plays in the UK, given he’s done multiple indoor and outdoor shows in the UK, year after year as well as playing European festivals. He’s as close to a typical Glastonbury booking you can get.

As has virtually every act who headlines Glastonbury.

For UK festivals, he's a major coup. We'll have to agree to disagree here I'm afraid. 

Of course he is, never once have I stated otherwise. It's a huge booking, for those exact reasons you've just said.

The point I was trying to make is if the biggest name out of the three has dropped out, who they replace him with is key to whether it can be seen as a strong trio or not. 

34 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Yeah if he adds dates then we know you’re right and if he cancels dates then we know Billum and I are right.

Caveat: I don’t really think I’m right, I haven’t got a clue.

No, nor me, not a clue, other than - remember Olympics 2012? So bad. He then made a pact with the devil for a few more years of good touring, and these satanic pacts always run in 7-year cycles, so it runs out in late June 2019 just before the fest... this is why he was desperate to play the Saturday just in case it lasted, but when The Cure insisted on Saturday that did it

• Upvote 1

Will be gutted if Macca drops out as never seen him and unlikely to now . 

Not interested in seeing stormzy at all and will be at the cure but seen them many times b4 so woulnt have bothered me as much if they rather than Macca dropped . 

If true no idea who can or will fill in .

Gaga would be fine particularly for my wife . 

8 minutes ago, billum said:

No, nor me, not a clue, other than - remember Olympics 2012? So bad. He then made a pact with the devil for a few more years of good touring, and these satanic pacts always run in 7-year cycles, so it runs out in late June 2019 just before the fest... this is why he was desperate to play the Saturday just in case it lasted, but when The Cure insisted on Saturday that did it

Yep this is it of course. ?

1 hour ago, billum said:

Yes interesting that “someone I doubt you’d be very happy with” comment - are you not fond of Gaga, BSR, and is this well known among the twetterati??

:lol:  I’m not, as it happens, but I think she meant it’s someone those wanting McCartney wouldn’t like. Which I don’t think you’d say about Bruce.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

12 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Of course he is, never once have I stated otherwise. It's a huge booking, for those exact reasons you've just said.

The point I was trying to make is if the biggest name out of the three has dropped out, who they replace him with is key to whether it can be seen as a strong trio or not. 

The point wasn’t about it being a strong trio though, it was about it being one for the history books which it will be regardless of who else headlines.