2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Love JT but thought last night was a joke. He barely sung anything. He boogied well and had a lot of stages. 

Yeah I was shocked at just how little he actually sung, especially as he's famed for having such a good voice. Acted as his own hype man for most of the performance and let the backing track do all the heavy lifting. Seemed more like an awards show opening performance than the Superbowl.

And cramming like 11 songs in to a 13 minute performance was a dumb decision.

Edited by FloorFiller

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I was shocked at just how little he actually sung, especially as he's famed for having such a good voice. Acted as his own hype man for most of the performance and let the backing track do all the heavy lifting. Seemed more like an awards show opening performance than the Superbowl.

And cramming like 11 songs in to a 13 minute performance was a dumb decision.

Would have been better if he sung those 11!

At some point I will probably listen to Justified today though so I can't work out if it was mission accomplished...

Just now, BlackZeppelin said:

Any chance of Foals headlining?

Would love to see them do Friday night.

Hinges on this new album I feel, although I just don’t see it - for me the last album was a misstep that set them back a little. Guess it depends on whether Glastonbury fancy taking the risk or just going for the easy sell like they seem to like doing these days.

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Hinges on this new album I feel, although I just don’t see it - for me the last album was a misstep that set them back a little. Guess it depends on whether Glastonbury fancy taking the risk or just going for the easy sell like they seem to like doing these days.

I was convinced their last album would push them up to the top but as you say it's at the very least kept them at subheadlining (which I think they pulled off really well last time). I'd say they could do it if they gamble and take an innovative step forward, reckon that the fests next few risks will probably be trying to push more female acts in that direction though.

They added a well received headline slot at Reading to a series of well received headline slots and made the jump from playing the Other Stage to playing to a packed out Pyramid Stage, as well as into arenas. The music hasn’t really got better but the evidence for a stagnated career isn’t there. I don’t think there are many other bands that could lay claim to a headline slot in the next few years so I’m sure they’ll get their chance.

28 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Can't see Foals doing it to be honest they've stagnated a bit musicaly so it'd take something very surprising. Your next big indie band headliner are The 1975 who'll do it off their next album. 

It’s alright saying that but when they headline Reading next year people will be saying “next album cos Glastonbury doesn’t get bands on the second year” or “not big enough for the anniversary” or whatever shit. And they’ll be a lot more polarising anyway.

If we’re on about bands who Glastonbury are willing to take a punt on next year (thread title) then it’s Foals - if they don’t headline next year (providing an album comes out over the next twelve months) then I’d agree they won’t ever get the job.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They'd be the first headliners who could walk into a pub on a Saturday night and no-one would have a scoob who they were.  I wouldn't know Fred Foal from Adam.

The Basement Jaxx boys could walk into a Basement Jaxx gig and nobody would know who they were.