Jump to content
rzwodezwo

2019 Headliners

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Genuine question, are the 1975 really a serious contender? I'm not suggesting they aren't, but what have I missed over the last few years to put them in the frame for 2019? I just thought they were pretty average, inoffensive, middle of the road band?

Mumfords

Coldplay

Sheeran

 

Your point is?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Both better than Sheeran

I won't be watching Sheeran. But I'd happily watch him with a smile on my face over the aforementioned shower of shits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stokesy10 said:

I won't be watching Sheeran. But I'd happily watch him with a smile on my face over the aforementioned shower of shits.

Nah.

As shite as both bands are, they don't have the added annoyance of Ed's face

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Mumfords

Coldplay

Sheeran

 

Your point is?!

Ok, let me rephrase it... I just thought they were even more average, inoffensive and middle of the road than Mumfords Coldplay and Sheeran?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Genuine question, are the 1975 really a serious contender? I'm not suggesting they aren't, but what have I missed over the last few years to put them in the frame for 2019? I just thought they were pretty average, inoffensive, middle of the road band?

Last album got a load of critical acclaim and they just did an arena tour which sold fairly well, including two nights at The O2. If they disappear for 18 months to allow the clamour for them to rebuild then their third album will be everywhere, and they've already 'promised' to headline Reading on it 

Edited by Zac Quinn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zac Quinn said:

Last album got a load of critical acclaim and they just did an arena tours which sold fairly well, if they disappear for 18 months to allow the hype to fester their third album will be everywhere, and they've already spoken about headlining Reading on it 

Ok, fair enough. It's just I saw them at bestival about 4-5 years ago. I thought they had a couple of catchy yet throw away songs, never gave them a second thought after that, and I've always just been broadly aware of them hovering around in the background, without hearing too much more about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think 1975 are a contender to headline 2019. Probably more likely for Reading as everyone is suggesting

I feel out of all bands around at the moment they probably deserve to be given a shot at headlining, but I don't know if they will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I don't think 1975 are a contender to headline 2019. Probably more likely for Reading as everyone is suggesting

Sub like Foals did last year & co or even outright headline R&L.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bisque said:

Sub like Foals did last year & co or even outright headline R&L.

I feel they deserve to headline outright

they don't need to always be a coheadliner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

I think they were announced before the thread was started.

FML. It's been a long day. 

Imagine how long this thread will be by the time the 2019 headliners are announced!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They do deserve to headline IMO but they will probably do a Foals and headline/coheadline Leeds and sub Glasto as they won't risk the headline slot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Nah.

As shite as both bands are, they don't have the added annoyance of Ed's face

Ed's face, or that gimp from The 1975's voice during Chocolate.

Christ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the 1975 don't get any more popular. I they do, they will definitely headline in the the next few Glasto festivals. 

Doesn't take Einstein to work that out. Will be plenty of other stuff to go see though :)

Might take place of a 'better' headliner though when it happens :P 

My prediction, Friday headliner 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

K-Dot

Taylor Swift/Beyonce - def gonna and should push for a female headliner

Arctic Monkeys

then a big prestige wotsit for the 50th in 2020 - one of Fleetwood Mac/McCartney/Pink Floyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Fall

Peter Capaldi

R2--D2 Playing the Bass

The year after Emily will concede that 2020s line up won't be as good as 2019s. Waiting to hear back from paddy power on the odds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK then...

Dream 2019 Headliners

Depeche Mode
Iron Maiden
Bruno Mars

Predicted 2019 Headliners

The 1975
Arctic Monkeys
Rihanna

Curveball Guesses

Biffy Clyro
Chance the Rapper
Kendrick Lamar
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about it 2020 is the 50th anniversary, so any big guns will be saved for that, therefore the 1975 and Arctic Monkeys + another for 2019.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Thinking about it 2020 is the 50th anniversary, so any big guns will be saved for that, therfore the 1975 and Arctic Monkeys + another for 2019.

Yeah if I remember correctly (maybe I'm not) they've mentioned already having a 2020 headliner lined up so definitely seems like they're treating that year as the big one. Not to say that the 2019 headliners will be shit, but I'm expecting something massive to be booked for 2020 if they've had to book it three years in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah if I remember correctly (maybe I'm not) they've mentioned already having a 2020 headliner lined up so definitely seems like they're treating that year as the big one. Not to say that the 2019 headliners will be shit, but I'm expecting something massive to be booked for 2020 if they've had to book it three years in advance.

Yep this is a quote from Emily a month ago:

"We're talking to our first headliner for the 50th anniversary"

You'd have to assume if they're speaking to a headliner three and half years before the festival they will be a pretty big hitter, and they certainly won't be using them the year before in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Thinking about it 2020 is the 50th anniversary, so any big guns will be saved for that, therefore the 1975 and Arctic Monkeys + another for 2019.

AM are a big hitter tbh, by that point they'll be one of those acts that can earn so much from stadium tours that they don't need to do festivals any more, so will be a massive coup for any festie they do play. If they aren't in this category already.

Tempted to agree on The 1975, don't think they'd be ginormous enough for the 50th unless the Eavii tried to be cute and go "we have a headliner from the past (Mac), present (Monkeys) and future (1975)" but that's maybe a bit corny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

AM are a big hitter tbh, by that point they'll be one of those acts that can earn so much from stadium tours that they don't need to do festivals any more, so will be a massive coup for any festie they do play. If they aren't in this category already.

Tempted to agree on The 1975, don't think they'd be ginormous enough for the 50th unless the Eavii tried to be cute and go "we have a headliner from the past (Mac), present (Monkeys) and future (1975)" but that's maybe a bit corny.

Alas, in three years time,  The 1975 probably won't be the future anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×