2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

Catching up. So if Pink headlines RW, that means someone on another forum who predicted that correctly could also be right in predicting King Kendrick for Glasto, amirite? 

Basically, a guy on the Festileaks forum who gave lots of correct info for all the Belgian festivals last year (usually in the form of posting a lyric or song title or something from that artist) made a post the other day saying "Na na na na na na na", which was instantly assumed to be a hint towards P!nk. Then two days ago he posted saying "damn", which you'd have to assume is a Kendrick hint. P!nk was obviously announced today so that bodes well for his Kendrick hint. It seems that he tends to post the hints not long before that act is announced, so hopefully we see them announce Kendrick soon.

So the guy didn't predict him for Glasto, but Rock Werchter moved their dates to Glasto weekend again this year (the last time they did so was to book Foos whilst they were over in Europe in 2017 or 2015), and if Kendrick is playing RW he's an obvious shout to headline Glasto. The Sun posted an article a while back claiming that Glasto were in advanced talks with him, too, which was seemingly dismissed pretty early on.

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

Seems odd that they’d announce Pink before Kenny. 

P!nk was only announced today because RW was part of her big tour announcement. RW announcements are usually on Fridays.

3 hours ago, jparx said:

I thought Metallica were in the RW frame? If you add them as the fourth headliner it looks much more appropriate for that festival.

Not to try and dump on the Kendrick rumour. I've seen Metallica a few times so I'd much rather Kendrick.

Nah Metallica aren't doing festivals. Muse aren't playing Belgium on their tour and seem like the most predicted RW headliner so they'll probably be there as a more conventional RW headliner.

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Surely if Lady Gaga was doing Glastonbury she’d also be doing other festivals on this side of the Atlantic during the same trip?? And now she’s all but ruled out of Werchter, unless she’s subbing it. HmmMMmm..

RW often have co-headliners so she isn't ruled out yet, but I envisaged her being like Adele/Ed Sheeran with Glasto being a bit of a one off. No reason for that, was just how I pictured it.

1 hour ago, Little Andy said:

So the evidence for Kendrick is someone seemingly random said 'na na na na na na na', then Pink was announced, then they said 'Damn'? Could the na na na have been a lucky guess, or even not referring to Pink at all? And that was for a festival that has apparently moved its date for 1 headliner who is playing somewhere else? Still sounds like lots of ifs and maybes to me, no?

See above. It isn't a random guy, it's a guy who gave hints for loads of acts at Belgian festivals last year and was always correct. He also knew about the new stage RW had last year before anything was announced, so he clearly has an inside track.

1 hour ago, Honeybane said:

can someone explain these rumors to me i don't get it

See above.

Hold on, are you saying that The Sun mentioned Kendrick way back when Macca became a rumour? If so, why has no-one mentioned him lately, but instead prattled on solely about 1975, Gaga, Mumford's banjo, etc?

Yeah, they just said he was in advanced talks, though. Back then a lot of us were predicting him but I think we eventually stopped doing so and dismissed the rumour because it didn't seem like he'd be doing anything next Summer.

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Main doubt remaining is it’d mean only one of RW’s four main headliners could possibly be considered ‘rock’, and none of them are meat and potatoes and/or heavy.

Muse aren't playing Belgium on their tour and seem a stick on Werchter. I can see Kendrick co-headlining with P!nk or Mumford, or Muse playing after one of them.

So the guy got 'a lot' right last year? I thought someone posted here a quote from eFestivals saying he was a random guy who knows nothing? Or was that someone else?

He did say that, but I checked his post history last night and he clearly does know stuff.

44 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it was the scum who wrongly said madge. 

Kendrick? Cos he could do.

They said Glasto were chasing Madonna in that article; nothing more.

Edited by Gucci Piggy
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Basically, a guy on the Festileaks forum who gave lots of correct info for all the Belgian festivals last year (usually in the form of posting a lyric or song title or something from that artist) made a post the other day saying "Na na na na na na na", which was instantly assumed to be a hint towards P!nk. Then two days ago he posted saying "damn", which you'd have to assume is a Kendrick hint. P!nk was obviously announced today so that bodes well for his Kendrick hint. It seems that he tends to post the hints not long before that act is announced, so hopefully we see them announce Kendrick soon.

So the guy didn't predict him for Glasto, but Rock Werchter moved their dates to Glasto weekend again this year (the last time they did so was to book Foos whilst they were over in Europe in 2017 or 2015), and if Kendrick is playing RW he's an obvious shout to headline Glasto. The Sun posted an article a while back claiming that Glasto were in advanced talks with him, too, which was seemingly dismissed pretty early on.

P!nk was only announced today because RW was part of her big tour announcement. RW announcements are usually on Fridays.

Nah Metallica aren't doing festivals. Muse aren't playing Belgium on their tour and seem like the most predicted RW headliner so they'll probably be there as a more conventional RW headliner.

RW often have co-headliners so she isn't ruled out yet, but I envisaged her being like Adele/Ed Sheeran with Glasto being a bit of a one off. No reason for that, was just how I pictured it.

See above. It isn't a random guy, it's a guy who have hints for loads of acts at Belgian festivals last year and was always correct. He also knew about the new stage RW had last year before anything was announced, so he clearly has an inside track.

See above.

Yeah, they just said he was in advanced talks, though. Back then a lot of us were predicting him but I think we eventually stopped doing so and dismissed the rumour because it didn't seem like he'd be doing anything next Summer.

Muse aren't playing Belgium on their tour and seem a stick on Werchter. I can see Kendrick co-headlining with P!nk or Mumford, or Muse playing after one of them.

He did say that, but I checked his post history last night and he clearly does know stuff.

They said Glasto were chasing Madonna in that article; nothing more.

Convincing argument for Kendrick being likely.

9 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

That Sunday is seriously grim compared to the first two days, the locals would start a riot.

I think that Sunday is prime locals fodder, it's probably the most mainstream friendly day.

All 4 of those have huge hits that everyone would lap up.

8 minutes ago, Divein said:

I think that Sunday is prime locals fodder, it's probably the most mainstream friendly day.

All 4 of those have huge hits that everyone would lap up.

I guess. I was looking at it more from the perspective of - Macca aside - it being rubbish whilst the other two days have at least two belting bookings each.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Kylie's a good booking.

Meh. Still wants to promote her new material rather than embrace her legacy status when she hasn't put out anything interesting in a decade, and it's been far too easy to catch her in the last few years if you wanted to. The hits will go down well and it's a nice narrative that she's finally coming to the Farm after 2005 but it can't have been hard to snare her.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Meh. Still wants to promote her new material rather than embrace her status legacy act when she hasn't put out anything interesting in a decade, and it's been far too easy to catch her in the last few years if you wanted to. The hits will go down well and it's a nice narrative that she's finally coming to the Farm after 2005 but it can't have been hard to snare her.

Rare opportunity to catch her in the middle of the afternoon without having to go out of one's way.

The place will be beyond rammed.

6 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Meh. Still wants to promote her new material rather than embrace her legacy status when she hasn't put out anything interesting in a decade, and it's been far too easy to catch her in the last few years if you wanted to. The hits will go down well and it's a nice narrative that she's finally coming to the Farm after 2005 but it can't have been hard to snare her.

To be fair, the new album was #1 and is one of the biggest sellers in the UK this year.   It's a good little pop record and probably the best thing she's done in a while.

Very few other 'legends' were still putting out Number 1 albums of new material at the time of their booking.   She's a huge booking to have in that spot.

4 minutes ago, RyanS said:

To be fair, the new album was #1 and is one of the biggest sellers in the UK this year.   It's a good little pop record and probably the best thing she's done in a while.

Very few other 'legends' were still putting out Number 1 albums of new material at the time of their booking.   

Though no-one will be there to hear her new material

I understand the thought process behind the buzz around Kendrick but the point about RW being moved in the past to share a headliner with GF, if that has happened this time is it not for The Cure? Not inconceivable that they could share 2 headliners but how often does that actually happen?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Though no-one will be there to hear her new material

Yep. Dolly got this spot on: self-knowingly referenced the fact she wouldn't be there without something to promote by way of introduction to one 'new' song early in the set, then got straight back to the bangers from thereon out.

Just now, Doug85 said:

I understand the thought process behind the buzz around Kendrick but the point about RW being moved in the past to share a headliner with GF, if that has happened this time is it not for The Cure? Not inconceivable that they could share 2 headliners but how often does that actually happen?

Whenever both organisers want certain acts @Gucci Piggy found out this potentially may be the last Cure festival run so understandably Glastonbury would want them for old times sake and the current streak of selling out shows. Kendrick offers something new and a differential. You can argue for both and if both are available and want them. Why not?

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

With all due respect to Bob cure and the lads, I'm not sure anyone is going to be going out of their way to shift a whole festival for them in the year of our lord two thousand and eighteen.