2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

45 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I had him down to headline V this summer but yeah, could definitely see him just waiting until Glastonbury 2019 as you say. Was strange to see him release a song with Timbaland today like it's still 2007 but I can't imagine his new album being anything other than hugely successful. 

He can't do V, or any European festivals post mid-June really. So his window for European festivals is summer 2019, which is the bad thing. The bad thing!

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Is Sam Smith still a thing?

He's top of the charts right now. I too thought Adele and Sheeran returning would have done the job to confirm that Smith was just a placeholder but it hasn't worked and he's on course to Sunday night Pyramid headliner come 2019. The writing's on the wall, as they say.

Edited by dentalplan

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Though has Good at Goodbyes or whatever it's called landed with the same impact as something like Hello or The Shape of You?

they're probably two of the biggest songs of this century so falling short of quite those heights is nothing to be ashamed of, much as I personally find it difficult to muster much enthusiasm for the lad. His return is clearly going to be successful, even if not Adele/Sheeran 'four nights at Wembley' successful. 

His on stage patter needs work if he's gonna headline the Pyramid though, both times I saw him on his last tour his vocabulary seemed strictly limited to saying 'clap your hands during this one' and 'sing along if you know this one' over and over again.  That's the bigger obstacle than whether he'll be big enough to do it IMO.

Edited by Zac Quinn

10 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I didn't even realise he'd released a new song. Expected he was more likely to do a Sandé than a Sheeran.

That's how it was meant to be.

11 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

they're probably two of the biggest songs of this century so falling short of quite those heights is nothing to be ashamed of, much as I personally find it difficult to muster much enthusiasm for the lad. His return is clearly going to be successful, even if not Adele/Sheeran 'four nights at Wembley' successful. 

His on stage patter needs work if he's gonna headline the Pyramid though, both times I saw him on his last tour his vocabulary seemed strictly limited to saying 'clap your hands during this one' and 'sing along if you know this one' over and over again.  That's the bigger obstacle than whether he'll be big enough to do it IMO.

Yeah I agree really - there's no way he's scaling Adele and Ed Sheeran heights but I don't think that's now the bar for pop singers to headliner Glastonbury. He'll perhaps be a one or two nights at Wembley headliner down the road but most tellingly I think him subheadlining festivals on his debut album tour shows that they're ready to lift him to the top.

And regarding what he says on stage; he seems to say plenty of dumb stuff off stage so he's probably as well talking as little as possible.

55 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He can't do V, or any European festivals post mid-June really. So his window for European festivals is summer 2019, which is the bad thing. The bad thing!

He's top of the charts right now. I too thought Adele and Sheeran returning would have done the job to confirm that Smith was just a placeholder but it hasn't worked and he's on course to Sunday night Pyramid headliner come 2019. The writing's on the wall, as they say.

*THAT* WAS THE BAD THING

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Ed Sheeran and Adele have been phenomenons whereas Sam Smith is merely a very big pop act. I think there’s pretty much no chance he’ll headline, and if he did it would be a more significant change in headliner booking than when Adele did it.

They can't only ever book mainstream pop headliners who are phenomena because there aren't enough around and they've probably exhausted list of ones who would want to do it. I've no idea why they'd suddenly decide to ignore that he's big enough to headline when the festival were happy to give him a mid-Other slot before his debut album was out.

I want to shut up because it sounds like I'm a Sam Smith stan and I'm far from it, but I wish people wouldn't be so blasé about cold hard facts when it comes to pop acts :lol: 

In fact upon checking, the album which propelled Ed Sheeran to Wembley Stadium and Glastonbury-headliner level sold three million less than Sam Smith's debut. He's a headliner, chaps.

Edited by Zac Quinn

5 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I want to shut up because it sounds like I'm a Sam Smith stan and I'm far from it, but I wish people wouldn't be so blasé about cold hard facts when it comes to pop acts :lol:

Same.

The main arguments against it for me would be the availability of other more established pop headliners (Madonna if she wants, Beyoncé could return, Taylor Swift if she's still adored) and rap acts (lets face it, they couldn't have both a rapper and a straight up pop singer without an angry mob) but saying Sam Smith will not be big enough to headline is really just sticking yer head in the sand. Guy will be headlining festivals worldwide so he's no reason to rock up at a festival which will basically be his target audience and support whoever.

Edited by dentalplan

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Same.

The main arguments against it for me would be the availability of other more established pop headliners (Madonna if she wants, Beyoncé could return, Taylor Swift if she's still adored) and rap acts (lets face it, they couldn't have both a rapper and a straight up pop singer without an angry mob) but saying Sam Smith will not be big enough to headline is really just sticking yer head in the sand. Guy will be headlining festivals worldwide so he's no reason to rock up at a festival which will basically be his target audience and support whoever.

Performing a set of Pearl Jam covers and repeatedly calling the crowd "old sons".

• Upvote 5

Eavis had wanted Fleetwood Mac for years but says he can't afford them.... hope that changes. 

Arctics have new album out 2018 so may not be touring 2019? I have them down to headline isle of Wight 2018. 

Elton would be an amazing Sunday legend slot! 

Would love any from the following: Foals, kings of Leon, chilli peppers, Roger waters, Dave Gilmour (or both:lol:), arcade fire, mumford and sons, Noel Gallagher (or oasis reuninion), Paul Simon, pearl jam, prodigy, stones, the who....

Fuck it book them all!! 

24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Same.

Not convinced Emily liking a few instagram posts is enough evidence that Madge is on the cusp of agreeing, so - unless something dramatic happens to reverse Tay Tay's fall from grace - Beyonce and Kendrick are the only acts I can see batting off Mr Smith for the pop/urban spot. And those two aren't 'likely' by any means. Dunno.

7 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Not convinced Emily liking a few instagram posts is enough evidence that Madge is on the cusp of agreeing, so - unless something dramatic happens to reverse Tay Tay's fall from grace - Beyonce and Kendrick are the only acts I can see batting off Mr Smith for the pop/urban spot. And those two aren't 'likely' by any means. Dunno.

I wouldn't take the instagram stuff as "on the cusp of agreeing", but I do think it probably suggests Emily is on the case. Landing someone like Madge would probably be a long game anyway.

Otherwise i'd guess it's a strand of Emily following woman in music, but that seems to me a less likely reason than trying to book her.

47 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Drake also. But I agree. And the sorta things Smith has going for him is he's a British success, has played Glastonbury before (three times if he played with Disclosure in both 2013 and 2016?) and would probably benefit from offering a possibly cheaper headline booking than other popstars and agents that would actually approach the festival rather than vice versa.

12 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Sam Smith's mega tsunami...? I too assumed a Sandé-like trajectory was likely - let us pray.

I feel daft for ever thinking he'd go away now. Only came on the scene five years ago yday with that Disclosure track and now the man has like 12m world sales, 4 Grammy's, an Oscar and a Golden Globe and has only released one album. It remains that he won't get as big as Ed Sheeran (the teen heartthrob thing probably doesn't work that well for gay blokes) and Adele (considerably less likeable) but damned if we haven't been underestimating the boy.