2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

33 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

To be honest most Glastonbury headliners, especially recent ones anyway are about as safe as they come. The festival really isn’t as into taking risks with its headliners as people like to believe.

Kanye was the last risky one I suppose and look how that turned out.

I agree with you here, looking at the line ups the past ten years it has mostly been white and male, normally a rock band. I think there is a unrealistic expectation of simultaneously wanting 'risky' bookings, which we then get annoyed about being booked and demanding more beige bookings. I think there is no pleasing us. I for one am very happy with the current beigeyness of the predictions and think there is more diversity in there than people are willing to give credit.

5 minutes ago, Ovechkin said:

Frank ocean wont headline other lol, would suspect he is way more expensive then kendrick as well and therefor more expensive than any of the 3 suggested headliner.

gambino is done as an act after this tour, Will it expand over next?

How come you think Gambino is done? He's had three albums, two of which were hugely successful. Donald Glover is an incredibly talented entertainer, I can only see him progressing further.

That said given he's coming to the UK soon, I doubt he will be at Glastonbury. And an Other headliner would be insulting for him.

Edited by Radi0Head

7 minutes ago, Ovechkin said:

Frank ocean wont headline other lol, would suspect he is way more expensive then kendrick as well and therefor more expensive than any of the 3 suggested headliner.

Wot? He played Parklife and Lovebox last year. If they could get Arctic Monkeys and Kendrick Lamar cheaper respectively then why the hell haven’t they?

2 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

How come you think Gambino is done? He's had three albums, two of which were hugely successful. Donald Glover is an incredibly talented entertainer, I can only see him progressing further.

That said given he's coming to the UK soon, I doubt he will be at Glastonbury. And an Other headliner would be insulting for him.

He had said he’s retiring (as Childidh Gambino) a number of times. And he played below Florence and the Machine and alt-J at BBK Live this year so I dunno how insulted he could be at headlining second stage at Glastonbury. I agree he won’t be on tour though.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He had said he’s retiring (as Childidh Gambino) a number of times. And he played below Florence and the Machine and alt-J at BBK Live this year so I dunno how insulted he could be at headlining second stage at Glastonbury. I agree he won’t be on tour though.

Weird, I was in America last year for a long period of time. Gambino was a musical staple there. I'm pretty shocked to here that, I'd see him as massively more popular than all three of those artists. I'd of loved to have heard what else he can do.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

This isn’t America.

Are you referring to the song by English singer David Bowie and American jazz fusion band Pat Metheny Group, taken from the soundtrack to the 1985 film The Falcon and the Snowman?

Jass beat me to it

Edited by Radi0Head

24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Wot? He played Parklife and Lovebox last year. If they could get Arctic Monkeys and Kendrick Lamar cheaper respectively then why the hell haven’t they?

Fair enough, Frank rarely tour so when he does I assumed the festivals are kinda eager to get him

28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I wonder if he reconsiders after the success of This Is America.  As far as I can tell, most of the stories about retirement are from January - before his absolutely huuuge, instantly iconic megahit.  Maybe he will still retire, but the prospects of Gambino have fundamentally altered since that song came out.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I wonder if he reconsiders after the success of This Is America.  As far as I can tell, most of the stories about retirement are from January - before his absolutely huuuge, instantly iconic megahit.  Maybe he will still retire, but the prospects of Gambino have fundamentally altered since that song came out.

Nah he said at one of the nights on his current tour that it's the last Childish Gambino tour.

Following on from the beige comments and stuff, is there any suggestions on who Glastonbury could feasibly get that would fit the none-beige/ leftfield choice.

Kendrick was reportedly R and L's most expensive headliner and so it would probably be a big cost for GF and with Kendrick potentially not being broadcast they cant use the exposure line to level out the lower fee.

Stormzy, I could see him headline but there's even people on here who have set they dont see him as a headliner and the same with The 1975.

The only other act I think would be The Carters but I dont think that they would fit Glastonbury.

I genuinely think the reaction to the Kanye booking and  the subsequent Prince cancellation has set them back a few years in terms of trying to go for that sort of headliner. 

• Upvote 1

Don’t understand the negativity towards having AM alongside Macca and The Cure. Arctic Monkeys are the biggest band in the country right now and they definitely appeal to the younger generations. The gig I went to last week had loads and loads of teens and students in the crowd. If there are no ‘alternative’ Headliners available I.e Kendrick, Fleetwood Mac etc then it doesn’t really get any bigger or better then the rumoured 3 headliners IMO. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dronx said:

Don’t understand the negativity towards having AM alongside Macca and The Cure. Arctic Monkeys are the biggest band in the country right now and they definitely appeal to the younger generations. The gig I went to last week had loads and loads of teens and students in the crowd. If there are no ‘alternative’ Headliners available I.e Kendrick, Fleetwood Mac etc then it doesn’t really get any bigger or better then the rumoured 3 headliners IMO. 

It's probably an unpopular opinion but I do agree with you

2 minutes ago, Dronx said:

Probably because it wasn't that long since they last headlined (one of the reasons why Coldplay and Muse got the same reaction) however it's probably also because the new album is utter dross. 

2 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

@eFestivals Is there any particular motive for upgrading Artic Monkeys and Liam Gallagher to SR?

Liam because his latest 'beige' tweet just about confirms he'll be there.

AMs as a combination of the tweet (or whatever) by the guy in the USA who seems to know what's what along with something else someone said to me that suggests (but nothing more) Glasto. Of the SRs currently there this one is the least justified.

5 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

@eFestivals Is there any particular motive for upgrading Artic Monkeys and Liam Gallagher to SR?

AM is based on the tweet from the guy who runs the Arctic Monkeys US twitter stating he's heard they are playing an ''iconic'' festival in June plus I think Neil has also had a bit of info on it.

Liam I would say is based on him playing PIlton Party and acts usually get a decent slot the year after and G plus there was his tweet the other day thanking the Eavii for the meeting and he would see them next year.

Edited by Divein

9 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Probably because it wasn't that long since they last headlined (one of the reasons why Coldplay and Muse got the same reaction) however it's probably also because the new album is utter dross. 

6 years is long enough. 'Utter dross' is your opinion, I think it's absolutely brilliant. They are one of the biggest bands in the world now and have been for some years, whether people like it or not

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, mufcok said:

6 years is long enough. 'Utter dross' is your opinion, I think it's absolutely brilliant. They are one of the biggest bands in the world now and have been for some years, whether people like it or not

Of course it's just my opinion but i'd wager there are many others who think so too. I know that they still sell out their gigs though which proves that they are still up there as being one of the biggest bands but its not based on that last album. 

6 years since they played but only 4 festivals in between.... i'd argue that was too soon for another headline slot but if Coldplay and others do it then fair enough. By that precedent though that means that Kasabian will be back for 2020....