2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

9 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Got to bear in mind that if an act is booking their tours 2 years in advance then they'd also have to be booked 2 years in advance for 2019, surely?

So it's not as easy as it getting to 2018 and Glasto being able to find out whether they're able to play 2019 or 2020, as their 2019 tour will be sorted in 2017.

So basically it'd be the same as booking someone like Kendrick, just a year earlier.

Might be wrong, like, but if it gets to 2017 (obviously I'm going back in time here) and they find out Fleetwood Mac are available for 2019, but they'll have to wait a year to find out if they're available for 2020, I can't imagine they'd wait.

Surely everything is just done at the time of asking and its just relative... like time istelf.... :D 

so doesn't matter if its 1, 2 or 3 years in advance or 6 months for that matter....  In 201X you ask them if they are available in 201X or 20XX and they say yes or no? :D You could have asked someone if they are available in 2020 back in 2010... they would probably say yes... so you book them... ?

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Surely everything is just done at the time of asking and its just relative... like time istelf.... :D 

so doesn't matter if its 1, 2 or 3 years in advance or 6 months for that matter....  In 201X you ask them if they are available in 201X or 20XX and they say yes or no? :D You could have asked someone if they are available in 2020 back in 2010... they would probably say yes... so you book them... ?

Except they'd probably say no

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Except they'd probably say no

haha yes but you get my point... if theres nothing booked and they actually want to do Glasto they say yes.... whether its 2 week or 2 years in advance. Just set their tour dates around it then. 

17 minutes ago, Havors said:

haha yes but you get my point... if theres nothing booked and they actually want to do Glasto they say yes.... whether its 2 week or 2 years in advance. Just set their tour dates around it then. 

But they wouldn't. 

It depends on how far out a band likes to play, not whether there's anything already in their diary.  And a lot of bands don't plan 2 years in advance. I think your fundamental point is wrong. 

Big bands need to spin up massive organisations to tour headline slots like Glastonbury including lighting, sound engineering, roadies, supporting musicians, etc.  It's not easy to do a one-off headline gig when not actively touring. For Coldplay, Radiohead, Gorillaz or U2 (to mention a few) it's not the same as Blossoms jumping in the back of a van with their guitars and a snare drum.  A band like Gorillaz literally doesn't exist between albums - the core musicians go and do other things and a new band is formed for the next album x years later.  

And an act the age of The Rolling Stones or Fleetwood Mac have to pay serious consideration to the band not all being fit to perform or even alive in 2020.

1 hour ago, morph100 said:

Saw Taylor Swift played some big venue in the pouring rain the other day, maybe she was getting in the Glastonbury mood....

NFRNFC Obvs

Taylor Swift is stuck in the Black Lodge, the one running around is her tulpa.

10 minutes ago, nikkic said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/madonna-new-album-end-of-year-2361991

New Madge incoming. 

Got to put her in the frame just a little more. 

Very much so, although I still think it's one or the other between her and Fleetwood Mac. Can't see the festival being able to afford both.

Edited by Hugh Jass

54 minutes ago, nikkic said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/madonna-new-album-end-of-year-2361991

New Madge incoming. 

Got to put her in the frame just a little more. 

Man, it all depends on what she plays!!  I stand by my opinion that a Madge set of bangers would be one of the greatest things you'd ever see. Without spoiling it by looking at Setlist.fm take a look at what she could drop, if she so chose:

Holiday

Lucky Star

Borderline

Like a Virgin

Material Girl

Crazy for You

Into the Groove

Live to Tell

Papa Don't Preach

True Blue

La Isla Bonita (and I'll fight anyone over this!!)

Who's That Girl

Like a Prayer

Cherish

Vogue

Justify my Love

Playground

Erotica

Secret

Take a Bow

You'll See

Frozen

Ray of Light

Beautiful Stranger

Music

Don't Tell Me

Hollywood

Hung Up

4 Minutes

Edited by Quark
Missed Frozen!!!
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Very much so, although I still think it's one or the other between her and Fleetwood Mac. Can't see the festival being able to afford both.

It shouldn't be a case of that. The Festival can't afford either of them if they're charging full fees or even close to it as there's still a strictly enforced price cap which is way less than most headline calibre act would expect elsewhere. The only time it's (publicly) thought to have been exceeded was for the Stones, and even that's depending on who you believe. So superstar acts like that FM and Madonna come into the frame if they're prepared to massively drop their asking price. In that respect I wouldn't expect one of them to impact on the other, unless they come with conflicting demands for example "We'll cut the fee but in return we want the prestige saturday night slot".

35 minutes ago, Quark said:

Man, it all depends on what she plays!!  I stand by my opinion that a Madge set of bangers would be one of the greatest things you'd ever see. Without spoiling it by looking at Setlist.fm take a look at what she could drop, if she so chose:

Holiday

Lucky Star

Borderline

Like a Virgin

Material Girl

Crazy for You

Into the Groove

Live to Tell

Papa Don't Preach

True Blue

Who's That Girl

Like a Prayer

Cherish

Vogue

Justify my Love

Playground

Erotica

Secret

Take a Bow

You'll See

Ray of Light

Beautiful Stranger

Music

Don't Tell Me

Hollywood

Hung Up

4 Minutes

You have missed Frozen so this whole list is invalid.

16 minutes ago, incident said:

It shouldn't be a case of that. The Festival can't afford either of them if they're charging full fees or even close to it as there's still a strictly enforced price cap which is way less than most headline calibre act would expect elsewhere. The only time it's (publicly) thought to have been exceeded was for the Stones, and even that's depending on who you believe. So superstar acts like that FM and Madonna come into the frame if they're prepared to massively drop their asking price. In that respect I wouldn't expect one of them to impact on the other, unless they come with conflicting demands for example "We'll cut the fee but in return we want the prestige saturday night slot".

It's not even just about if they both want the Saturdya night slot, if they both demand a bigger fee then David probably can only afford to do that for one of them. It could honestly be either as both could choose Glasto the 2nd year round and big pay this year, it could also be neither but it would benefit Madge more as FM I think would sell more at this point.

9 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It's not even just about if they both want the Saturdya night slot, if they both demand a bigger fee then David probably can only afford to do that for one of them. It could honestly be either as both could choose Glasto the 2nd year round and big pay this year, it could also be neither but it would benefit Madge more as FM I think would sell more at this point.

But that's the point innit, apart from the Stones (as far as we know) it's the artists that bend on the pricing, not the festival

37 minutes ago, incident said:

But the festival will bump up the fee for the right headliner, they've been trying to get both FM and Madge for years (they famously lost out on FM due to fees a couple of times). I suspect that these are two acts they would try and find a few extra quid for if push came to shove.

35 minutes ago, Quark said:

Holiday

Lucky Star

Borderline

Like a Virgin

Material Girl

Crazy for You

Into the Groove

Live to Tell

Papa Don't Preach

True Blue

Who's That Girl

Like a Prayer

Cherish

Vogue

Justify my Love

Playground

Erotica

Secret

Take a Bow

You'll See

Ray of Light

Beautiful Stranger

Music

Don't Tell Me

Hollywood

Hung Up

4 Minutes

When you put it like that, it could be amazing.