2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Britpop was mostly over by the time most of those came out though right? And End of a Century is Britpop. Either way, regardless of their later tunes; the band are eternally bonded to Britpop so there’s no point trying to pull them away from it.

Sure you can't separate them from it but they're also defined by an ability to move beyond it that their contemporaries often lacked. 

2 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Yup, it's a bit odd that people seem to accept that Noel Gallagher can evolve into fanny about as though he's some proper rock star but no-one seems able to accept Damon Albarn and indeed Blur have evolved beyond their Britpop origins. 

Yeah you're the only one who's noticed Gorillaz exists. Fucking hell.

5 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Sure you can't separate them from it but they're also defined by an ability to move beyond it that their contemporaries often lacked. 

I don't think that's the definition of Blur. It seemed to go a bit wrong first time round cos of that, didn't it?

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Britpop was mostly over by the time most of those came out though right? And End of a Century is Britpop. Either way, regardless of their later tunes; the band are eternally bonded to Britpop so there’s no point trying to pull them away from it.

End of a Century, This is a Low & The Universal were from their two most Britpop albums. No denying that they’re forever tied to that movement though.

3 minutes ago, battleborn said:

In this thread it seems I somehow am. Blur might have been Britpoppy, and actually the music isn't as shit as many people in this thread are making out or even derided as much as you Radiohead fanboys think it is in the real world, Damon Albarn is an incredibly talented musician and do brush significant work of as shit is just ridiculous because it was popular at the time. 

Are you reading a different thread to me?  Who's been saying Damon is shit and hasn't done anything else of note since the Britpop days?

5 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Your making out his britpop stuff is musically unnoteworthy, which is bollocks! And many of you have previously panned Gorillaz on this forum, and I'm pretty sure in this very thread. But at at over a hundred pages I'm not looking through for it.

I am? When did I say that?  I said I wasn't feeling it 9 years ago, but Beetlebum is timeless.

1 hour ago, battleborn said:

In this thread it seems I somehow am. Blur might have been Britpoppy, and actually the music isn't as shit as many people in this thread are making out or even derided as much as you Radiohead fanboys think it is in the real world, Damon Albarn is an incredibly talented musician and do brush significant work of as shit is just ridiculous because it was popular at the time. 

No you’ve read all of this into posts that weren’t saying it at all and got shirtless and clammy. I was actually initially questioning why they weren’t more derided like people would Oasis or The Verve, when similarly arrogant and outspoken with music just as dated. I do respect Damon a fair bit as an artist and I love Think Tank but their most popular singles are on a par with Rat Boy and they collect no flak for it.

Maybe we can reframe the question as “why aren’t/isn’t Rat Boy more respected and popular?”.

I absolutely love Blur, one of my all time favourite bands and the 09 Pyramid set is my favourite show from any act, anywhere, ever. But I’d say they never produced a truly great album, they produced some very good albums - MLIR, Blur, 13 and the others all have at least two or three great tunes on them, but they never produced a truly iconic, defining album IMO.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I absolutely love Blur, one of my all time favourite bands and the 09 Pyramid set is my favourite show from any act, anywhere, ever. But I’d say they never produced a truly great album, they produced some very good albums - MLIR, Blur, 13 and the others all have at least two or three great tunes on them, but they never produced a truly iconic, defining album IMO.

Parklife was probably their most consistent, but it's dated pretty badly.

As for the best Albarn album, it's undoubtedly Demon Days. A fucking masterpiece.

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

My milk carton will say "Missing: New Headliners at Glastonbury" and have a picture of Foals on it.

Then I'll get rolled down a hill by Gazza.

I added this to multiquote with something to say but 2 pages later I've forgotten what I wanted to say.

4 hours ago, battleborn said:

I'm pretty sure Blur are one of the most liked headline-sized bands in this section dunno what you're on about.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

No you’ve read all of this into posts that weren’t saying it at all and got shirtless and clammy. I was actually initially questioning why they weren’t more derided like people would Oasis or The Verve, when similarly arrogant and outspoken with music just as dated. I do respect Damon a fair bit as an artist and I love Think Tank but their most popular singles are on a par with Rat Boy and they collect no flak for it.

Maybe we can reframe the question as “why aren’t/isn’t Rat Boy more respected and popular?”.

Well, for me it's because they're better than those acts who are more derided (mainly Oasis).

In terms of the big three of Britpop, Pulp are my favourite, followed by Blur and then Oasis.

Yeah, Blur's most popular songs aren't all that, but on the whole they're still a great band which is presumably why people on here are still happy for them to return. They're also sick live which, by the sounds of it, Oasis aren't.

10 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Well, for me it's because they're better than those acts who are more derided (mainly Oasis).

In terms of the big three of Britpop, Pulp are my favourite, followed by Blur and then Oasis.

Yeah, Blur's most popular songs aren't all that, but on the whole they're still a great band which is presumably why people on here are still happy for them to return. They're also sick live which, by the sounds of it, Oasis aren't.

Yeah the rewarding live experience is something very obvious that I hadn't factored in smdh. The things Mash said about Blur changing it up for the better granting them some goodwill among writers and music buffs are probably quite relevant when I think about it too.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I'm pretty sure Blur are one of the most liked headline-sized bands in this section dunno what you're on about.

They certainly are, their headline set in 09 is regularly talked about on here as one of the greatest ever seen at the fest.

Edited by Hugh Jass

I'm glad somebody mentioned The Carters. I was thinking they could be contenders just yesterday. They have a new set in place and their tour will be over by next June so they'll have milked that cow. I seem to recall Beyoncé saying she'd love to do it again, and they've both had acclaimed albums released since they last headlined. I could see it happening.

I think we could go:

2019: The 1975 / Fleetwood Mac / The Carters. (Legend: Beach Boys)

2020: Arctic Monkeys / Kendrick Lamar / Paul McCartney (with Beatles holograms). (Legend: Elton John)

I think 2020 will also include lots of secret sets, or each stage punching above their weight with the headliners.

The Carters for the 20th anniversary? Would be good considering both of them were legendary sets in the festivals history.

2019: Arctic Monkeys, Fleetwood Mac, The 1975
2020: The Carters, Coldplay, Blur.

Edited by Matt42

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The Carters for the 20th anniversary? Would be good considering both of them were legendary sets in the festivals history.

2019: Arctic Monkeys, Fleetwood Mac, The 1975
2020: The Carters, Coldplay, Blur.

Beyonce and Jay Z toured together and brought out an album together this year. I don't think it's incredibly likely that they're just gonna keep doing that now. What's better than one billionaire? Two.

Edited by dentalplan

Just realised I said 20th anniversary lol. Meant 50th

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Beyonce and Jay Z toured together and brought out an album together this year. I don't think it's incredibly likely that they're just gonna keep doing that now. What's better than one billionaire? Two.

Yeah true - but then if 2020 is going big they could always ask them to do a one-off show. If one has an album coming out relatively soon it would be good hype

45 minutes ago, kalifire said:

2020: Arctic Monkeys / Kendrick Lamar / Paul McCartney (with Beatles holograms). (Legend: Elton John)

I think 2020 will also include lots of secret sets, or each stage punching above their weight with the headliners.

I don't see Elton John's last appearance on these shores being an afternoon slot leading up to either a headline-grabbing Paul McCartney or Beatles reunion. They could surely bin off one of the others for The Reg.

I think the special guest factor might be more of a thing, like they did with the 40th anniversary. And it'll largely be business as usual but there might be a few special events and new features around the site. That seems more reasonable than a fantasy fest/greatest hits blowout, and more sustainable for future years, and it'll probably be less disappointing as well.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Just realised I said 20th anniversary lol. Meant 50th

Yeah true - but then if 2020 is going big they could always ask them to do a one-off show. If one has an album coming out relatively soon it would be good hype

What's the point though? Just get Beyoncé lol. And I say that as a bigger Jigga fan.

Just now, dentalplan said:

What's the point though? Just get Beyoncé lol. And I say that as a bigger Jigga fan.

Because technically it's not a repeat booking and you're essentially booking a different act. 

Plus since Glasto wants the mahoosive headliners, Beyonce, Jay-Z, Coldplay, Blur all in one weekend on top of a stacked lineup really celebrates 50 years of the festival

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Because technically it's not a repeat booking and you're essentially booking a different act. 

Plus since Glasto wants the mahoosive headliners, Beyonce, Jay-Z, Coldplay, Blur all in one weekend on top of a stacked lineup really celebrates 50 years of the festival

They never said they wanted massive headliners for the 50th. That's what we said. :P

Anyway, why would it matter if they rebooked Beyoncé if they've got Coldplay (who I may add are on a touring break until 2021) doing it for a fifth time? She's much bigger and better now than 2011. Book Beyoncé. Do it!

Edited by dentalplan

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

They never said they wanted massive headliners for the 50th. That's what we said. :P

Anyway, why would it matter if they rebooked Beyoncé if they've got Coldplay (who I may add are on a touring break until 2021) doing it for a fifth time? She's much bigger and better now than 2011. Book Beyoncé. Do it!

YO are they actually?!