2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Agreed. It's not The Killers without Dave Keuning.

I guess I shouldn't be a hypocrite as I saw the Pumpkins when they played and loved it, but I'd never seen them before, the Killers have been around the UK every year more or less, with no difficulty seeing them as a fan. If Dave is back I'd be keen but I just can't get on board with this otherwise. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Btw, happy for you that you're getting to see your fave band headline. I know there'll still be roasting for months to come but should be a top experience for the fans.

Cheers mate! Gonna be brilliant. I was always adamant they'd get this slot again but I wasn't expecting it at all for this summer. I can take the roasting of The Killers; I've been dealing with it for years haha, long before Glastonbury 2019 ever entered the equation. Considering the stellar options which look likely to be up against them (especially Hot Chip on the Park), most people who dislike The Killers (for reasons unknown) should be happy it's one less clash to worry about!

I'm intrigued to see if they get the full band back together for it. I wanna lean towards saying yes, as they made the effort for the secret set. And they clearly don't see it as just another festival. It's not the end of the world if it does turn out to be the replacement members, but it'd be nice to see them all again. Especially as Dave Keuning, one of the original fab four, wrote the most well known riff of the 21st century. He should be there to play it every time The Killers headline the pyramid.

38 minutes ago, Beeefy said:

On this day 4 years ago they announced Kanye West, like him or not that was a BIG announcment.

not as inspiring this year.

We can do without the death threats, though, and in musical terms The Killers are just as popular. According to Wikipedia they’ve actually sold more records, even if those records are undeniably a step down or four in quality from MBDTF etc.

Most of the negativity comes from yer man on the street not knowing how festival bookings work and failing to manage their own expectations.

”Ridiculous that they didn’t get Prince, Madonna and Beyoncé. Where’s Foals? Where’s Foo Fighters? No Maroon 5? Outrageous”.

22 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Equal amounts of bemusement for Miley from what I’ve seen. 

Miley Cyrus and Janet Jackson are the two that any non-goers I've spoke to IRL about it has mentioned, all positive comments. Apart from one guy who said "I see The Killers are playing, is this Leeds festival 2007?"

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You are on the March To Leave, though.

Well, as you would know if you were keeping abreast of broadcast news, the only members of the public who are worth approaching for comment are those who are really really about leaving the EU.

13 hours ago, reflekting said:

I guess I shouldn't be a hypocrite as I saw the Pumpkins when they played and loved it, but I'd never seen them before, the Killers have been around the UK every year more or less, with no difficulty seeing them as a fan. If Dave is back I'd be keen but I just can't get on board with this otherwise. 

I saw them with their new live band at Lollapalooza Paris last year having ducked the UK Tour. They did hold up pretty well - the new players knew the parts, plus had a lot of the same gear. There wasn't an obvious discrepancy between the two (or indeed Hyde Park the year before, when Dave was there but Mark wasn't). But I do agree I'd prefer to have Dave/Mark about for their live shows as its weird without them on board.

I like the idea of them returning for Glastonbury, like they did for the John Peel slot in 2017. Whether they do is another matter.

To be fair, a part of me was more keen to wonder either if this means their new album will be out in time, or if they do a small theatre show beforehand that I inevitably fail to get tickets for.