2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

I’ve always thought that Just Like Heaven was a track that everybody knew too?

Yeah I'm quite baffled by people saying they only have a couple of well known songs. I already knew Friday I'm In Love, Inbetween Days, Boy's Don't Cry, Just Like Heaven and Close to Me before I properly started listening to them, although at least a couple of those are from growing up with the Inbetweeners soundtrack. 

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They are headlining those festivals as they are one of the headline names. If you think that "headline" just means "plays last on the biggest stage" then Disclosure headlined above Paul McCartney at Rock Werchter. The Hurricane/Southside thing is because them and Foos both need a day in between shows and it's the only way, but they're still both headline names. Even in the UK they've coheadlined festivals but were still and will now always be a headliner.

Nah. A dance act on after the headliner is different. For both of these fests there are 2 rock bands at the top of the bill and the Cure are playing second fiddle, so not the headliners. Not that it matters much, Glasto doesn’t need or always have the “biggest” headliners.

4 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

That Park Stage gig is still the loudest I’ve heard.

It was immense, would love to see them back.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They are headlining those festivals as they are one of the headline names. If you think that "headline" just means "plays last on the biggest stage" then Disclosure headlined above Paul McCartney at Rock Werchter. The Hurricane/Southside thing is because them and Foos both need a day in between shows and it's the only way, but they're still both headline names. Even in the UK they've coheadlined festivals but were still and will now always be a headliner.

Sorry, but that just doesn't hold up.

If Glastonbury announced an act as a headliner and then scheduled them on the Other Stage, everyone would rightly call bullshit. Same if they gave them an extended Pyramid slot in the daylight. Reading/Leeds have announced "coheadliners" most of the past few years but I don't think many people are actually buying it as such.

Regarding the Disclosure/McCartney thing - I did avoid saying "plays last", because that's not the thing that matters. I don't think many people consider the act starting at 1am to be the main act of the day..

Ultimately, I love The Cure. I'm more excited for them than I have been for any Pyramid headliner in about 5 years. But trying to justify a lower than headline slot elsewhere through some twisted "well they're a headliner really" logic just comes across as desperation to justify them here. And they don't need justifying.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Sorry, but that just doesn't hold up.

If Glastonbury announced an act as a headliner and then scheduled them on the Other Stage, everyone would rightly call bullshit. Same if they gave them an extended Pyramid slot in the daylight. Reading/Leeds have announced "coheadliners" most of the past few years but I don't think many people are actually buying it as such.

Regarding the Disclosure/McCartney thing - I did avoid saying "plays last", because that's not the thing that matters. I don't think many people consider the act starting at 1am to be the main act of the day..

Ultimately, I love The Cure. I'm more excited for them than I have been for any Pyramid headliner in about 5 years. But trying to justify a lower than headline slot elsewhere through some twisted "well they're a headliner really" logic just comes across as desperation to justify them here. And they don't need justifying.

That's because those festivals are in Britain and British people seem to have more difficulty getting their head around a separation between an act playing last and an act headlining. Like it happens all the time in Europe and people there don't whinge about how they're being robbed of a 'proper headliner', there's just a less archaic way of thinking about headliners there. It's a marketing term really, whoever they want to promote as the top act of the day is the headliner, they can play wherever.

I think 'Pyramid headliners' is too much of a thing for Glastonbury to do it but festivals in the UK absolutely should adopt a two-stage system where a headliner can play either and not lose their headline status. I don't think we're far from the "it's become like a fourth headline slot" teatime act become an actual fourth headline slot that headliners play.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, DJL said:

If the Cure do a genuine greatest hits set then they’ll be amazing. If they are going to do their usual mix of well and lesser known songs then personally I’ll pass and I think many may leave... though others will love it. Probably Not unlike Radiohead in 2017, I just happen to be a Radiohead fan and someone who doesn’t mind The Cure.

Yes, been listening to a cure greatest hits compilation in the car recently. Loads of decent songs that would suit a pyramid audience. As long as they stick to them it would be as you say amazing.

3 hours ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

That’s what happened with the smiths.

and the “fourth headliner” in 2009.

The Smiths 30 odd years ago and something a decade ago that didn’t even end up happening aren’t exactly convincing reasons it will happen now are they?

Edited by strummer77
Error

5 hours ago, strummer77 said:

The Smiths 30 odd years ago and something a decade ago that didn’t even end up happening aren’t exactly convincing reasons it will happen now are they?

It was further examples to the already given ones that the act who plays last isn’t always the headliner.

Tbf they were both a bit shit and an unnecessary additional examples to a point which has already been well made haha.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

That's because those festivals are in Britain and British people seem to have more difficulty getting their head around a separation between an act playing last and an act headlining. Like it happens all the time in Europe and people there don't whinge about how they're being robbed of a 'proper headliner', there's just a less archaic way of thinking about headliners there. It's a marketing term really, whoever they want to promote as the top act of the day is the headliner, they can play wherever.

I think 'Pyramid headliners' is too much of a thing for Glastonbury to do it but festivals in the UK absolutely should adopt a two-stage system where a headliner can play either and not lose their headline status. I don't think we're far from the "it's become like a fourth headline slot" teatime act become an actual fourth headline slot that headliners play.

I don’t disagree but the reason British festival go-ers think that way is it is almost always the case at British festivals... with the rare exceptions generally being dance acts after the headliners. We tend to have a sudden mainstage curfew before midnight whereas in Europe this is often later and more gradual (as their licensing laws tend to be too).

Given the option most British festival go-ers would probably love  more main stage acts after the biggest names and that would change the view on headliners. Given we spend five full days at Glastonbury you only get about six hours of watching the main stages in darkness making it a pretty defining feature of what the headliner is generally regarded as.

3 hours ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

The Smiths literally headlined the poster.

The placement on the 1980’s posters bore little resemblance to when the acts actually played. Elvis Costello headlined on the Saturday in 1984 (the day The Smiths played) and IIRC he isn’t even on the posters.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

as I've heard nothing different I'm sticking with The Killers and The Cure (tho not necessarily in that order). 

Shame there’s no female headliner.. but I think given the combination of who’s touring, who’s big enough and who hasn’t done it recently that would be about as diverse a trio as we could reasonably have asked for. And there’s one each for each of the three main Glastonbury-going demos which is always nice.

15 hours ago, incident said:

While I want to agree with you, because I think they are playing the Pyramid, deservedly so, and that they'll smash it, unfortunately the above is largely bollocks.

The facts are that they are playing second from top at Werchter, and that they are playing on the 2nd stage at Southside and Hurricane. By any reasonable definition that means they're not headlining those festivals. They might be given nearly as prominent billing, they might be given a longer set than many other acts, but ultimately it means either that they're playing before dark (Werchter), or playing on a smaller stage (Southside/Hurricane).

Now, regardless of all that. Pictures Of You on the Pyramid is going to be seriously fucking special isn't it?

The penultimate acts at Werchter (the headliners), play at around 10/11pm (in the dark). The last band each night take to stage at around 12/12.30 (Tool this year on The Cure's night).

They're headlining Werchter.

Edited by Hawros