2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

14 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Does anyone think there is a realistic chance of it not being The Cure and The Killers? As depressing as that is.... I just can’t think of anyone else feasible, available and suitable 

There's something in the back of my head telling me it's not The Cure. It's probably just blind hope, but that's all I've got.

Does anyone else think it is kind of weird that Arctic Monkeys toured for about 4 months for TBH&C, then disappeared? They have zero festivals or gigs this year. They were my solid shout for it 12 months ago, so I find it quite strange that they disappeared

3 minutes ago, K2SO said:

There's something in the back of my head telling me it's not The Cure. It's probably just blind hope, but that's all I've got.

Does anyone else think it is kind of weird that Arctic Monkeys toured for about 4 months for TBH&C, then disappeared? They have zero festivals or gigs this year. They were my solid shout for it 12 months ago, so I find it quite strange that they disappeared

They're in the antipodes at the moment and are touring South America until the start of April.

Also, if I'd recorded TBH&C, id disappear too

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

2 minutes ago, Username taken said:

They're in the antipodes at the moment and are touring South America until the start of April.

Also, if I'd recorded TBH&C, id disappear too

Really? I've heard absolutely nothing of them since about October!

Oh, I agree. It was a very boring album imo

19 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Does anyone think there is a realistic chance of it not being The Cure and The Killers? As depressing as that is.... I just can’t think of anyone else feasible, available and suitable 

Something in me has The Cure playing on the Other Stage.  I know this flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but just the way they've thrown themselves into the festival circuit this year makes me think they'd accept it if offered (I have zero actual knowledge about this).  Probably just kidding myself, but I have rationalised both Gaga and Fleetwood Mac (in spite, again of perceived logic) in my mind for Pyramid headliners.  I do think The Killers are likely headliners though.

12 minutes ago, Username taken said:

Something in me has The Cure playing on the Other Stage.  I know this flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but just the way they've thrown themselves into the festival circuit this year makes me think they'd accept it if offered (I have zero actual knowledge about this).  Probably just kidding myself, but I have rationalised both Gaga and Fleetwood Mac (in spite, again of perceived logic) in my mind for Pyramid headliners.  I do think The Killers are likely headliners though.

The Cure are headlining every festival they’re playing. They may not have top billing at some as they have multiple headliners per day, but they’re still very much headlining. No way are a band of their stature, famed for their often 3+ hour sets, gonna settle for an hour and fifteen on the second stage at Glastonbury.

18 minutes ago, Username taken said:

I guess it’s the old argument; they don’t quite feel right for 2019, but billings elsewhere and their history mean that they could only headline. They also address a demographic that Stormzy and (arguably) The Killers don’t. If it was my money I’d keep Bob and the lads and give another young act a go rather than The Killers. Or book Gaga. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The Cure are headlining every festival they’re playing. They may not have top billing at some as they have multiple headliners per day, but they’re still very much headlining. No way are a band of their stature, famed for their often 3+ hour sets, gonna settle for an hour and fifteen on the second stage at Glastonbury.

What!! 3+ hour sets?! They only have two songs ???

• Downvote 5

24 minutes ago, Username taken said:

Something in you can have that all day long but the reality is that Tame Imapala, The Prodigy and The Chemical Brothers were the booked Other headliners for this year.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

That's what I meant by conventional wisdom.  The wish is very much the author of the though in my line of thinking, but I'm just wondering if you would play to more people headlining the Other stage at Glastonbury than playing the main stage at Nova Rock, Southside Festival etc... 

100% agree about stature of the band etc, particularly if there isn't much about this year.

Of course the line of thinking relies on GF having something huge taking up the headline slots, and with the Cure seeming determined to maximise their reach this summer.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Which two?  A Forest + Boys Don't Cry?  Lovecats + Friday I'm In Love? Just Like Heaven + Close To Me?  Or Lovesong + Lullaby?

I'm guessing the second pair?

Correct!! I’ve genuinely never heard of any of the others. 

I don’t really understand how The Cure were regarded in their heyday? Everyone I speak to seems to have the same sort of response “they were ok” or “they had a couple of good songs”, I’ve never met someone who said they really liked them, or who had all their albums, or who had been to see them live or anything. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Correct!! I’ve genuinely never heard of any of the others. 

I don’t really understand how The Cure were regarded in their heyday? Everyone I speak to seems to have the same sort of response “they were ok” or “they had a couple of good songs”, I’ve never met someone who said they really liked them, or who had all their albums, or who had been to see them live or anything. 

I really like them. I have all of their albums. I have seen them live. Hi ??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1