2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, incident said:

That is fair, but there's plenty of past headliners you can say similar about that didn't get the same level of abuse for it.

Hell, you could say it about Radiohead. Albeit they didn't actually play the song in question..

They did - Creep was their penultimate song that night.

No chance are The Killers are a one hit wonder. I'd argue they have 5 tunes that are huge hits. (Brightside, Smile, Somebody Told me, Human, When You Were Young). Could also throw All These Things in there too.

They're a fine festival headliner. I just had higher hopes for Glastonbury this year than The Killers.

19 minutes ago, jparx said:

No chance are The Killers are a one hit wonder. I'd argue they have 5 tunes that are huge hits. (Brightside, Smile, Somebody Told me, Human, When You Were Young). Could also throw All These Things in there too.

They're a fine festival headliner. I just had higher hopes for Glastonbury this year than The Killers.

Guarantee you they'll get the biggest crowd though. Good booking in that case. Democracy and all that.

Festivals in 2019 all look a bit meh at the top half of the card anyway. Whatever way touring cycles work its not a vintage year. As always though, the value is in the undercard.  

8 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Being 5 is no excuse!

One of my many, many children is coming to the festival this year.

She is 3.

She dislikes Imagine Dragons and prefers The Greatest Showman, Jon Hopkins, Frozen, Moana and Confidence Man.

She knows nothing of the Killers. If by chance we end up seeing them (Mrs Woffy has stated that the Killers 'will do' for a singalong) then I will report back post-festival with a 3 year old's review. Expletives may or may not be mine.

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Guarantee you they'll get the biggest crowd though. Good booking in that case. Democracy and all that.

Festivals in 2019 all look a bit meh at the top half of the card anyway. Whatever way touring cycles work its not a vintage year. As always though, the value is in the undercard.  

Absolutely. Agree with all of that.

They don't seem to have really missed out on anyone, and it's not like the other big European festivals have anything Glastonbury doesn't (or hasn't had recently). Gaga is the one a lot of us are pointing too, but she doesn't seem to be doing anything in Europe this summer. I'm sure they approached her, but again it's just the way touring schedules have fallen. Perhaps you could argue they should have gone all out for Fleetwood, but I don't think the benefit outweighs on the cost on that one.

4 minutes ago, Woffy said:

One of my many, many children is coming to the festival this year.

She is 3.

She dislikes Imagine Dragons and prefers The Greatest Showman, Jon Hopkins, Frozen, Moana and Confidence Man.

She knows nothing of the Killers. If by chance we end up seeing them (Mrs Woffy has stated that the Killers 'will do' for a singalong) then I will report back post-festival with a 3 year old's review. Expletives may or may not be mine.

She sounds like she'd get along famously with my (nearly) 6 year old.  She sings along, very earnestly with A Million Dreams when it's on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Chances of it breaking its record come first week of July?

Well anyone that could potentially listen to the song already owns it because it's been in the charts for such a long time. It seems nowadays someone would come out the womb knowing the words to Mr Brightside.

5 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Well anyone that could potentially listen to the song already owns it because it's been in the charts for such a long time. It seems nowadays someone would come out the womb knowing the words to Mr Brightside.

Coming out of the womb
And I've been doing just fine...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

"Coming out of the womb and I'm doing just fine, Gotta gotta get born because I want it all"

7 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

It'll get a streaming boost though for sure. The extent of which and how much it affects the charts, I don't know.

1 hour ago, The Martini Police said:

They did - Creep was their penultimate song that night.

I thought Creep was what most of the audience did.... away from the Pyramid well before the penultimate sing-a-long song..??

"Flaming Lips anyone...???"

When I saw the rumor it was likely to be The Killers I was definitely underwhelmed. However after mulling it  over for a few weeks I think I will likely go a long as I'll have a great time. Their hits sound tracked a good stretch of my teenage years and for nostalgia and sing-along fun I can't fault it. I have the potential alternative night headliners of Janelle Monae, Hot Chip, Tame Impala and Vampire Weekend or more current music.

2 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Maybe this was mentioned but prodigy dropping out surely leaves a hole pretty close to the top of the poster. Could this delay the announcement?

I wouldn't have thought so. I'm anticipating us getting the poster week after next. 

Now we're on page 817 for this years headliners - One theory I'm keen to explore and another stat I would like to be added to the 'thingy' in the quest for announcement patterns is... how many pages does the efestivals thread on headliners get to before we have them all? ...

If someone else could do the work on this also that would be great #IsThereAPattern

4 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

When I saw the rumor it was likely to be The Killers I was definitely underwhelmed. However after mulling it  over for a few weeks I think I will likely go a long as I'll have a great time. Their hits sound tracked a good stretch of my teenage years and for nostalgia and sing-along fun I can't fault it. I have the potential alternative night headliners of Janelle Monae, Hot Chip, Tame Impala and Vampire Weekend or more current music.

Is it "looking likely" that Killers and Janelle will clash?

Barring some ludicrously good surprises on the poster... that would ruin the music side of Glasto for me this year.