2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

26 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nah - first time up was understandable  given the prevailing zeitgeist.  The only reason they're thought of fondly and so in contention at all now is due to a single student disco staple.

Same as The Cure tho innit

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mattymooz said:

Same as The Cure tho innit

Like Stormzy, I don't think The Cure are a particularly strong headliner but they'd be passable enough buttressing someone stronger, the entire lynchpin performance around which the rest of the weekend revolves.

That performance isn't by a man dressed like a croupier.

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nah - first time up was understandable  given the prevailing zeitgeist.  The only reason they're thought of fondly and so in contention at all now is due to a single student disco staple.

It’s no different to Muse, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters in recent years. These aren’t exciting choices but just big, broadly popular bands. I find it strange that it’s being painted up as unusual - The Strokes would have been pretty much what you described, but The Killers broke out of that.

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

It’s the combination of headliners that’s the issue. 

If we had a Gaga, Madonna or K-Dot on the Pymild then the others would be forgiven. 

3 beige headliners in the same year is what truly sucks balls. 

If you think they are three beige performers then your problem lies with Stormzy. They weren’t gonna book one of the ones you mentioned and also Stormzy.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

It’s no different to Muse, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters in recent years. These aren’t exciting choices but just big, broadly popular bands. 

No fan of any of these, but they all have longish careers and discographies that don't just rely on a song or two.

The Strokes is the nearest comparison, but even then they've got an album's worth of jams.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If you think they are three beige performers then your problem lies with Stormzy. They weren’t gonna book one of the ones you mentioned and also Stormzy.

Not sure why they wouldn’t replace Bob and the lads with Madge if she were available/willing to play.

Stormzy/Madge/Killers looks miles better to me. 

Is what it is though. 

I'd say Stormzy is the most interesting of the presumptive headliners. It is undoubtedly a bold move with the potential to deliver a career changing moment, or an epic failure. My money is on the former, I think Stormzy will deliver. Putting Stormzy in an unfamiliar position adds an extra tension to his appearance, he has such a positive persona I'd imagine (unlike Kanye) the crowd will be willing him to succeed, it could be a real moment.

The Cure and Killers, they have been there, done that, water of a ducks back, they will knock what they do out of the park and people will enjoy it but I doubt there will be anything revelatory enough to make their performances uniquely memorable.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

No fan of any of these, but they all have longish careers and discographies that don't just rely on a song or two.

The Strokes is the nearest comparison, but even then they've got an album's worth of jams.

I think The Killers must have a bunch at least as big as Muse tracks but then one ginormo-hit that towers over the rest of their shit.

Not sure why they wouldn’t replace Bob and the lads with Madge if she were available/willing to play.

Is what it is though. 

So they should just book Madonna? Come on.

Anyway, as I’ve said plenty, the festival has always had a couple of rock bands headline since any of us started going haven’t they? So why just expect it to change overnight?

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I think The Killers must have a bunch at least as big as Muse tracks but then one ginormo-hit that towers over the rest of their shit.

So they should just book Madonna? Come on.

Anyway, as I’ve said plenty, the festival has always had a couple of rock bands headline since any of us started going haven’t they? So why just expect it to change overnight?

They book what’s available, if that happens to be 3 beige acts then so be it, but you can’t deny that someone like Madge or Gaga would mean people would give a pass to the The Killers et al? 

They book what’s available, if that happens to be 3 beige acts then so be it, but you can’t deny that someone like Madge or Gaga would mean people would give a pass to the The Killers et al? 

I’m not denying that. I’m saying it would come instead of Stormzy.

17 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Is what it is though. 

This is reason enough. Madge plays a setlist like that and she'll stink out the place whilst costing ££££££

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/madonna/2016/allphones-arena-sydney-australia-7bf03254.html