2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

There is a pattern.

Emily looks at The Thingy and chooses a date based on any slight sign of  a pattern. As February almost showed a Friday type pattern she decided to do the next announcement in March. 

I blame The Thingy

All hail The Thingy

#thereisnopattern

20 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

There is a pattern.

Emily looks at The Thingy and chooses a date based on any slight sign of  a pattern. As February almost showed a Friday type pattern she decided to do the next announcement in March. 

I blame The Thingy

All hail The Thingy

#thereisnopattern

She's going to announce on 1st March to spite us isn't she?

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

She's going to announce on 1st March to spite us isn't she?

11 minutes ago, Livvy13 said:

It is a Friday after all ? 

Now that has been posted it will be Tuesday afternoon next week...................

Damn, now I have said that so it won't be!

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

With The Streets I feel like in the past four or five years there's been a big recognition of how influential the first three albums are.

Remember seeing them at Boardmasters 09 (I think) when I was about 17 and really enjoying it, but not really having a clue outside of Fit But You Know It.

It wasn't until I went to Uni that I really started to appreciate the albums as a whole, and the influence they've had. Almost like he needed to go away to come back sort of thing? 

There's nothing bigger than a comeback where they say "fuck it, I'm just going to play the hits and not realise a new album no one will buy".

12 minutes ago, briddj said:

There's nothing bigger than a comeback where they say "fuck it, I'm just going to play the hits and not realise a new album no one will buy".

In saying that, I think there are plans for an album:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/consequenceofsound.net/2018/11/the-streets-call-me-morning-stream/amp/

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Worked for the Stone Roses.

Longer than I thought too, they got a good 4 years out of that reunion. Faded after 2013 really though. Heaton park in 2012 was still one of the best gigs i've ever been to (not for vocals or anything) but purely for excitement, atmosphere and crowd generally just getting involved- it just all clicked however at Glasgow Green in 2013 and subsequently The Etihad in 2016 they got progressively worse on the same set list. 

4 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Longer than I thought too, they got a good 4 years out of that reunion. Faded after 2013 really though. Heaton park in 2012 was still one of the best gigs i've ever been to (not for vocals or anything) but purely for excitement, atmosphere and crowd generally just getting involved- it just all clicked however at Glasgow Green in 2013 and subsequently The Etihad in 2016 they got progressively worse on the same set list. 

I made a conscious decision, which with the benefit of hindsight I cannot fathom, not to bother with Heaton, thought it would be shit and full of sad cases in bucket hats lobbing piss around, but by all accounts it was genuinely brilliant. Went to Finsbury the year later and really enjoyed them, never bothered afterwards, really should have seen them at their first reunion shows.

7 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Saw them at Heaton, Finsbury and Wembley in 2017 and performance level wise 2017 may have been the best, but it was looking like that'd be their last gig anyway even at the time so it's possible they worked their nuts off to deliver a great set and it worked. Heaton was still the pinnacle though

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I made a conscious decision, which with the benefit of hindsight I cannot fathom, not to bother with Heaton, thought it would be shit and full of sad cases in bucket hats lobbing piss around, but by all accounts it was genuinely brilliant. Went to Finsbury the year later and really enjoyed them, never bothered afterwards, really should have seen them at their first reunion shows.

I did exactly the same. Not really sure what I was thinking, although did enjoy them at Finsbury. 

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

With The Streets I feel like in the past four or five years there's been a big recognition of how influential the first three albums are.

Remember seeing them at Boardmasters 09 (I think) when I was about 17 and really enjoying it, but not really having a clue outside of Fit But You Know It.

It wasn't until I went to Uni that I really started to appreciate the albums as a whole, and the influence they've had. Almost like he needed to go away to come back sort of thing? 

Yeah I agree with you her, definitely noticed when I went to uni a lot of people my age were getting into the The Streets around that time. I’m 22 so a little bit young for them first time round, although I was aware of them.

I remember there being a ‘Original Pirate Material’ anniversary clubnight while I was at uni and it sold out straight away, was really surprised then where that interest had come from.

7 minutes ago, Chef said:

I did exactly the same. Not really sure what I was thinking, although did enjoy them at Finsbury. 

Finsbury was brilliant, I'd never seen them before (but had seen Brown a few times which had tempered my enthusiasm a little) but was shocked by how good he sounded and how tight the rest of the band were.

Took my dad who was a huge fan of theirs back in the day but never got to see them and he loved it too.

Still wish I'd gone to Heaton though.

I absolutely loved The Streets' first album, was pretty obsessed with it back in the day. I liked the second, not sure it would stand up now as well? And then lost interest. I'm guessing any Glasto set will be OPM-heavy? Open with Turn The Page maybe? Weak Become Heroes is genuinely still one of my favourite songs so I'd be there for it I reckon, even if it does mean a trip to stinky Other. Will have my work cut out persuading 'Im Indoors along though.

10 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Yeah I agree with you her, definitely noticed when I went to uni a lot of people my age were getting into the The Streets around that time. I’m 22 so a little bit young for them first time round, although I was aware of them.

I remember there being a ‘Original Pirate Material’ anniversary clubnight while I was at uni and it sold out straight away, was really surprised then where that interest had come from.

I was at uni the first time it came out, really feeling my age now...

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I absolutely loved The Streets' first album, was pretty obsessed with it back in the day. I liked the second, not sure it would stand up now as well? And then lost interest. I'm guessing any Glasto set will be OPM-heavy? Open with Turn The Page maybe? Weak Become Heroes is genuinely still one of my favourite songs so I'd be there for it I reckon, even if it does mean a trip to stinky Other. Will have my work cut out persuading 'Im Indoors along though.

This.

First record is a 'cult classic not bestseller' to use Skinner's own words. I've been playing it loads recently, gearing up for the potential OS headline slot and it is his masterpiece.

A Grand Don't Come For Free is decent like you said but the Hardest Way To Make A Living / Computer and Blues definitely lack that punch (some of the lyrics on Everything Is Borrowed are insane so I give that a bit more clout).

I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder and in The Streets absence, people have been able to look back at the early stuff and recognise it's impact. I suppose when they were last playing they were still wheeling out new stuff which was probably sticking out the set at live shows. 

Set lists now though contains nothing but bangers (not anthems ;)).

Edited by jyoung

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I still reckon you could argue that the second is only just behind the first. Well I could anyway ahah. The third is genuinely a stinker with the odd decent moment (and to be fair Never Went To Church might be their best) and the fourth went down really badly which is probably why they were so far down bills in '09. Computer and Blues raised their stocks a little though I reckon.

There's a great Streets live album from halloween 2002 on Spotify now, worth a go.

Also Stone Roses at Heaton Park is probably the third best gig I've ever been to (overtaken since by Oh Sees and Nick Cave since).