2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

14 hours ago, TKOCF said:

Post Malone isn’t that bad, but I see why there’s the hate there. I don’t think efestivals users are really the people that he is making music for.

He is bad and, yes, I know I'm not the target market and I have to listen to loads of it through a teenager's bedroom wall.

The Guardian (for once) got it spot on with this single review ....

Post Malone - Better Now

“Music (noun): Vocal or instrumental sounds combined to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion”. Your chums and mine at the OED, there. By that definition, this four-minute aural prolapse doesn’t actually qualify as music. So what is it? Well, imagine if someone farted directly down your earhole and, as well as hearing the point-blank bumwaft, your ear could also smell it. That, Auto-Tuned, is exactly what this is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cockney_Jesus said:

The Killers & Kings Of Leon both feel like 'we couldn't get anyone else' kinda booking these days.

I get the appeal for the tv/casual audience etc. but I'd rather see a more relevant act like Foals/Florence bumped up (although I guess Stormzy already has that slot)

Mate, does your user name have anything to do with The men that will not be blamed for nothing?

Now there's a band that I'd love to see headline the Pyramid.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It doesn't matter, Radiohead didn't become headline sized again a couple of years later.

Radiohead were clearly headliner size when they played the Park though, they always were. But as said above, nobody is disputing that the Killers are headliner size either, are they? I think it's just that people feel it's stale. I think the opportunity to see elsewhere is important here because the Killers are a bit over-saturated. The set in 2017 just adds (albeit quite significantly) to that, rather than being the sole cause of it. 

I suppose the appeal of doing a secret set for some artists is that it conveys an ambiguity as to where their actual pecking order is at the likes of Glasto. So Elbow doing a secret set at the Park May have felt like an event for their fans, and also hides the fact that Pyramid sub was as good as it gets for them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I suppose the appeal of doing a secret set for some artists is that it conveys an ambiguity as to where their actual pecking order is at the likes of Glasto. So Elbow doing a secret set at the Park May have felt like an event for their fans, and also hides the fact that Pyramid sub was as good as it gets for them.

I do wonder with secret sets how far in advance they’re booked. Take the Killers and Elbow last time for example, do they leave a space in the Park and JP line ups and see who they can get? Or do they book them then see where they can be fitted in?

3 hours ago, harderfaster said:

At some of their dates last year they actually opened with Mr Brightside, which is a fairly bold move. 

(For example: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-killers/2018/sittertobel-st-gallen-switzerland-23ea04db.html

They did this when I saw them in Vegas.

NB: I didn't go to Vegas specifically to see them, went for my mate's wedding. Then the Killers announced a date there the day after we arrived, and as him and his missus were big Killers fans it was a no-brainer.

NB NB: The Bravery were playing Hard Rock Cafe there then the night after. Didn't go and seem them. It was an honest mistake.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fishman said:

He is bad and, yes, I know I'm not the target market and I have to listen to loads of it through a teenager's bedroom wall.

The Guardian (for once) got it spot on with this single review ....

Post Malone - Better Now

“Music (noun): Vocal or instrumental sounds combined to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion”. Your chums and mine at the OED, there. By that definition, this four-minute aural prolapse doesn’t actually qualify as music. So what is it? Well, imagine if someone farted directly down your earhole and, as well as hearing the point-blank bumwaft, your ear could also smell it. That, Auto-Tuned, is exactly what this is.

I've not even heard Post Malone yet, but I'm fairly convinced that output that oldies don't even recognise as music is exactly what should be going on, rather than #wrongezra blandness.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

QOTSA are one of those bands who are well respected in certain circles, but the vast majority of people will only know No-one Knows.

I know Glasto has had acts headline which most people won't know the discography of (Metallica, Kanye etc) but they seemed more of a left field choice for a specific reason.

I just can't see QOTSA ever being close to Glasto headliners.

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

That came across on the telly as if that was just a normal slot for them.

2 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

Radiohead were clearly headliner size when they played the Park though, they always were. But as said above, nobody is disputing that the Killers are headliner size either, are they? I think it's just that people feel it's stale. I think the opportunity to see elsewhere is important here because the Killers are a bit over-saturated. The set in 2017 just adds (albeit quite significantly) to that, rather than being the sole cause of it. 

What's what difference from Reading doing similar like they have previously?

8 minutes ago, briddj said:

QOTSA are one of those bands who are well respected in certain circles, but the vast majority of people will only know No-one Knows.

I know Glasto has had acts headline which most people won't know the discography of (Metallica, Kanye etc) but they seemed more of a left field choice for a specific reason.

I just can't see QOTSA ever being close to Glasto headliners.

I think they're still another killer album away from being ready, as I said above Villains was a letdown after Like Clockwork and seems to have set them back a little.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think they're still another killer album away from being ready, as I said above Villains was a letdown after Like Clockwork and seems to have set them back a little.

I actually preferred Villains. Like Clockwork did nothing for me. 

Their show at Wembley arena in 2017 was the best I've seen them and nearly my gig of the year. Will agree the Mad Cool set didn't do a lot for me though. 

5 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I actually preferred Villains. Like Clockwork did nothing for me. 

Their show at Wembley arena in 2017 was the best I've seen them and nearly my gig of the year. Will agree the Mad Cool set didn't do a lot for me though. 

I'm the exact opposite - Like Clockwork is my favourite album of theirs, but Villains left me cold.

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I disagree that the Killers will be of much interest to the armchair viewer.  I suspect that  someone who doesn't often play festivals or has a bit of mystique about them would appeal more to the casual viewer than an ubiquitous act that the average fest punter can barely move 10 yards without bumping into.  They're inextricably tied to their era without having the sort of storied career or discography that would see them gradually morph into a heritage act. They're a nostalgia act for people too young to be nostalgic.  They're as shallow as a puddle and so will be their set.

your average Glastonbury on the BBC viewer doesn't go to festivals, doesn't like camping, doesn't like mud, doesn't know what a longdrop is, doesn't want to go to the toilet in a portaloo after that smelly one at the outdoor P!nk gig they went to 8 years ago, doesn't give a fuck about stages in tents let alone anywhere else.

they flick around the BBC after Ant&Dec or Celebrity Jungle Dancing on Ice or whatever other shite is on on Saturday night, and want to see Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, The Killers, Adele, Dua Lipa, or some other mainstream stuff that they recognise from the radio.

they certainly don't give a shite about anyone with "mystique" or a rare festival booking. The have no clue how often The Killers play festivals. They've never heard of TRNSMT or Latitude or almost any festival that gets discussed on here.

I'd say 95% of armchair viewers want to see The Killers over Kate Bush ("what's this weird old woman shit?  flick over to Graeme Norton. pass me the Dominos" etc)

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2