2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

Rag and Bone also had an inexplicably large crowd last time around. 

Lots of people just like shit music. 

he was playing at 3 in the afternoon against, essentially, a load of nobodies. a few mainstream radio hits, and against acts that most people have never heard of during the day means massive crowds.

put Rag and Bone Man or Craig David on at 10pm and they obviously wouldn't have had even half the crowds they did. CD played in Sonic the previous year...

even Liam Gallagher's crowd size had a lot to do with being on before "prime time".

22 hours ago, dentalplan said:

@addicted2noise I think the furore was nipped in the bud by his gf saying it wasn’t true. Video looked pretty damning but don’t know what else can be gleaned from it when they’ve both said it’s not the case. Don’t think it’d have sunk a Glasto slot though, going by Emily’s comments about Johnny Depp.’s booking.

I guess if his gf isn't concerned about it then there isn't really an issue (although being his publicist she's might be concerned her career will suffer too if his goes under). The Sun didn't come out great from it either I suppose but I just found it a bit odd how much he denied it even happened and then after the video evidence came out he just disappeared from twitter for a week and carried on like nothing ever happened.  

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I wasn't there........but Craig David still owned Blossoms.

Tbf he owned most people that day, it was just a great sun out afternoon set.

36 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

he was playing at 3 in the afternoon against, essentially, a load of nobodies. a few mainstream radio hits, and against acts that most people have never heard of during the day means massive crowds.

put Rag and Bone Man or Craig David on at 10pm and they obviously wouldn't have had even half the crowds they did. CD played in Sonic the previous year...

even Liam Gallagher's crowd size had a lot to do with being on before "prime time".

Everyone at the sold out instantly arena shoes then finburys says hi ?

• Upvote 1

I was talking to someone about Glastonbury's headliners for 2019 last night, and I just really can't get my head around the choices... I feel like Stormzy, The Cure and The Killers would be one of the most underwhelming lineups I cam remember. It's not even like there's an element of "I'd be interested to see what happens", like it was with the likes of Metallica or Kanye.

I'm living in the hope right now that they have completely pulled the wool over our eyes and they are going to drop a big name that none of us are expecting.

I just really hope there's something else that I want to watch on at the same time. I was disappointed in 2017 because there wasn't a headliner on any stage that I actually wanted to watch, and just ended up going to stuff by default

8 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I was talking to someone about Glastonbury's headliners for 2019 last night, and I just really can't get my head around the choices... I feel like Stormzy, The Cure and The Killers would be one of the most underwhelming lineups I cam remember. It's not even like there's an element of "I'd be interested to see what happens", like it was with the likes of Metallica or Kanye.

Stormzy is the big ‘curiosity’ headliners of this year, but more because he’s untested as a headliners of Glastonbury’s size more than anything else. It’s definitely a weird, uninspired and un-Glastonbury set of headliners if it’s what we get, but also unlike most years, there’s a big lack of ‘well *** is touring/headlining festivals so why haven’t they booked them?’ acts. As bland a trio as it may seem, I’m hard pressed to think who else they realistically could’ve/should’ve got once we remove Fleetwood Mac/Madonna/Gaga/acts who were always just pipe dreams. It’s just an unusually lacking year for headliner sized acts touring.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Stormzy is the big ‘curiosity’ headliners of this year, but more because he’s untested as a headliners of Glastonbury’s size more than anything else. It’s definitely a weird, uninspired and un-Glastonbury set of headliners if it’s what we get, but also unlike most years, there’s a big lack of ‘well *** is touring/headlining festivals so why haven’t they booked them?’ acts. As bland a trio as it may seem, I’m hard pressed to think who else they realistically could’ve/should’ve got once we remove Fleetwood Mac/Madonna/Gaga/acts who were always just pipe dreams. It’s just an unusually lacking year for headliner sized acts touring.

Not to bring doom and gloom... but can you see it getting much better? I can’t.

There are a very many headline acts who are at this point deemed to be ‘uninspiring’, half a handful of acts new to headlining Glastonbury that are agreeably big enough and will play eventually, then the rest have either already ticked it off their list, don’t wanna do it or ask for too much money.

Maybe the newfound apathy towards festival headliners is a result of an era of looking back without building for a future. :dontknow:

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Totally get that mate. The only one that I think is someone that I feel like would be a missed opportunity is Ariana Grande... But even then, like you said, there's hardly anyone about this year so it's slim pickings

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Not to bring doom and gloom... but can you see it getting much better? I can’t.

There are a very many headline acts who are at this point deemed to be ‘uninspiring’, half a handful of acts new to headlining Glastonbury that are agreeably big enough and will play eventually, then the rest have either already ticked it off their list, don’t wanna do it or ask for too much money.

Maybe the newfound apathy towards festival headliners is a result of an era of looking back without building for a future. :dontknow:

I feel like the only 'new' bands that could be lined up for next few years are Royal Blood and (although I can't stand them), The 1975.

3 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I feel like the only 'new' bands that could be lined up for next few years are Royal Blood and (although I can't stand them), The 1975.

Ok but I’m completely not on about that. I mean existing headline acts that people are hoping for. By and large, people don’t hope for bands to be bumped up to headline Glastonbury.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Ok but I’m completely not on about that. I mean existing headline acts that people are hoping for. By and large, people don’t hope for bands to be bumped up to headline Glastonbury.

Yeah I guess you're right. Music is in a bit of a strange shape right now. There's an abundance of 'mid-card' acts around, but a severe lack of headliners. There's not been many artists around in the last decade that have become headliner material, and the well has run pretty dry, in terms of established acts.

4 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Yeah I guess you're right. Music is in a bit of a strange shape right now. There's an abundance of 'mid-card' acts around, but a severe lack of headliners. There's not been many artists around in the last decade that have become headliner material, and the well has run pretty dry, in terms of established acts.

The festivals have to give the acts a headline spot to make them headliner material though - I think it’s fairer to say that the festivals have dropped the ball rather than the performers. And, as I said, they’ve been kinda looking back for most of an era because of a purple patch of legends and one-offs which seems to be drying up, which has caused this problem for the future.

But yeah, I was scribbling down names for 2020 in notes and had ‘The 1975, REM, U2, Beyoncé, Blur, Arctic Monkeys’ as personal front runners; that’s like five repeats, two optimistic reunions, one’s all around the festivals this year, etc. Festivals aren’t about to look heavily inspired once again.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The festivals have to give the acts a headline spot to make them headliner material though - I think it’s fairer to say that the festivals have dropped the ball rather than the performers. And, as I said, they’ve been kinda looking back for most of an era because of a purple patch of legends and one-offs which seems to be drying up, which has caused this problem for the future.

But yeah, I was scribbling down names for 2020 in notes and had ‘The 1975, REM, U2, Beyoncé, Blur, Arctic Monkeys’ as personal front runners; that’s like five repeats, two optimistic reunions, one’s all around the festivals this year, etc. Festivals aren’t about to look heavily inspired once again.

I don't even think it is necessarily the festivals either. I think it's the pushes that the artists get by the media, and the public reaction to the artists.

Personally, I think there are bands and artists out there that are good enough to headline, but don't have the crowd pull to justify the festival bumping them.

7 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I don't even think it is necessarily the festivals either. I think it's the pushes that the artists get by the media, and the public reaction to the artists.

Personally, I think there are bands and artists out there that are good enough to headline, but don't have the crowd pull to justify the festival bumping them.

If you like, I disagree personally but it’s getting away from the point about there being a distinct lack of ‘bucket list’ type headliners left in the pipeline that I wanted to make. I don’t think the festival is gonna get much better in that respect.