2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yep.

The Cure sold out BST last summer, and pretty quick too.

I'll be mildly surprised if The Strokes sell out their APE show which is less than half the size and with a lot more support too, based on how the APE shows sold last summer.

The last time the strokes played Hyde park, I got a couple of those £2.50 tickets they were knocking out

On 2/21/2019 at 10:39 AM, Hugh Jass said:

He's a bit of a special case though (in more ways than one), before his solo comeback he was barely selling out academies with Beady Eye (and they actually had members of Oasis too) but somehow generated a huge wave of enthusiasm for his solo album by sheer force of personality and novelty factor alone, which is pretty impressive. Whether the second album and future tours will be met with the same degree of enthusiasm now he's been around a bit and everyone's had the chance to see him is another question altogether.

I think the Supersonic documentary helped build enthusiasm and led to Warner brothers signing him and investing a million pounds into his solo career which definitely helped. I'm surprised there was so little made of that video of him assaulting his girlfriend last year though considering the current era we're in (NME didn't even report it and they print nearly everything he does).

Edited by addicted2noise

6 hours ago, Purple aki squat said:

My prediction is the strokes doing a set in a tent, a darkish uninterested tent, acting like they’d rather be in a smaller darker even more uninterested tent.

Doing it for real.

Thing is as well, the buzz behind The Strokes doing a secret JP slot and The Killers won't even be on the same level.

19 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Everybody seemed to be saying Libertines on the day, but I didn't trust it until I checked on here. I suppose if you don't know what's a trustworthy source, you're not going to fully buy even the most rampant rumour. The Killers seemed to be a different matter though, didn't the King Gizz chaps even make an obvious reference towards the end of their set? Everybody knew it was The Killers.

It was well known on the day, but from checking the SecretGlasto DMs, we didn't know for sure at noon on the Saturday, although did by 19:09 that evening. I'm sure there were lots of signs in hindsight, but at the time, it wasn't obviously them for most of the festival.

Edit: checking back, the info did actually start to solidify around noon, with a credible tip coming in at 10:30. But the point stands, before the Saturday The Killers wasn't well known. I spoke to a steward at JPT itself  (can't remember the day) who seemed very excited at the prospect when I told her. It was clearly news to her.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

15 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

I'm surprised there was so little made of that video of him assaulting his girlfriend last year though considering the current era we're in (NME didn't even report it and they print nearly everything he does).

Got to admit, that had completely passed me by until now.

13 minutes ago, MrHew said:

Got to admit, that had completely passed me by until now.

Really? I remember quite a lot about it. There was an initial thing about the incident, then both LG and his girlfriend refuted it and threatened to sue whichever paper, and then sources close to Noel said that Oasis are definitely never reuniting because of Noel’s disgust...

Admittedly, Google thinks I’m absolutely barmy about the Gallaghers and ships me every news story about them, but I thought it was pretty big news.

@addicted2noise I think the furore was nipped in the bud by his gf saying it wasn’t true. Video looked pretty damning but don’t know what else can be gleaned from it when they’ve both said it’s not the case. Don’t think it’d have sunk a Glasto slot though, going by Emily’s comments about Johnny Depp.’s booking.