2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

There's still a potential direct impact, as a Glasto ticket holder might buy a ticket for one of those other shows if the Glasto show hasn't been announced.

But also it takes some of the thunder away from those other shows, as each extra show weakens the attraction of the ones already announced.

Of course, promoters have to accept that the act might play other shows, but at least will feel fairly comfortable about it if they're all paying around the same fee. A promoter wouldn't be so happy to have a competing show that's paid significantly less than they have.

A late announcement for Glasto lessens the competing effect and also helps smooth over any promoter upset at different prices.

It doesn't always work in that way but I can see it working like that for The Cure.

You think promoters pay the Eavii to stay quiet until late March/early April for this reason? Or is it simply just a mutual respect sort of thing?

1 hour ago, The Martini Police said:

You're suggesting *all* of those are 'complete tosh'. Maybe it's just that you don't like bands/guitars? For me, there's 3 of the best acts of the last 20 years in that list.

Now I like Mumfords, Kasabian and Arctic Monkeys as much as the next guy, but 'best acts of the last 20 years'? 

I'm not so sure.

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Now I like Mumfords, Kasabian and Arctic Monkeys as much as the next guy, but 'best acts of the last 20 years'? 

I'm not so sure.

1/3. Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire. That's personal opinion of course but it's fair to say that several on that list are amongst the most acclaimed and popular acts in rock music in either UK or the rest of the world (or both, in some cases) over the last 20 years. 

45 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Hardly amazingly exciting or exclusive though are they? People put way to much emphasis on the Glasto headliners. 

Unrealistic to expect more than 1 'wildcard' like Adele, Metallica, Kanye, Stones every year IMO. Where are they gonna come from? Most acts will be those on the festival circuit and Glasto often gets the most in-demand ones (with a few notable exceptions due to money, obviously). Agree with @Hugh Jass on the last point, completely natural. 

3 hours ago, blazingstars said:

Killers love us. They'd come over for a Glasto one-off if asked - for sure.

Going to see their lead guitarist/essentially ex-lead guitarist play a small gig in London in early April. But presumably we'll know if they're playing or not by then? 

I’m going to that, a mates a big killers fan so I’m tagging along 

2 hours ago, Glastoboy said:

I'm pretty sure yesterday I heard Lauren Laverne say she has Bob Smith on her show on Monday. If she swerves the question then I reckon you're right.

giphy.gif

It'll probably be then, I'll be in the middle of a 3.5 hour drive with no access to DAB radio.

2 hours ago, Hawros said:

You've got to feel for TRSMT a little - I get the feeling that their trajectory of becoming a major festival name has been dented by availability this year. The reaction's been savage. Then again, it might be the case that they've overspent on headliners last year, and are having to balance things a little.

Same kinda situation for Mad Cool. Fledgling major festival, spent the big bucks in the first couple of years getting stellar lineups, and this year hasn't quite continued that trajectory. (I'm actually a big fan of the MC lineup this year, and would be going if it wasn't for G).

I think likely they over spent and didn’t re-coup as much of the cost as they would have liked. I imagine Queen & Adam Lambert cost a fair bit and that was the day that they had to reduce all the tickets to half price on a discount site in the weeks leading up to it!

So could be a combination of them being a bit cautious as to what they spend on headliners and also just picking from those actually doing the festival circuit this year.

49 minutes ago, beau1 said:

Do we know if this is actually happening? Or is it just Japanese Whispers?

No it's a guess based on nothing really. They're heavily rumoured to headline, the last few years we've had a headliner announced in February and their lead singing is going on BBC 6 music in February

Edited by mufcok

11 minutes ago, mufcok said:

No it's a guess based on nothing really. They're heavily rumoured to headline, the last few years we've had a headliner announced in February and their lead singing is going on BBC 6 music in February

I meant do we actually have confirmation that Robert Smith is actually appearing on R6 on Monday....

The original poster wasn't sure if that was what they had heard.

Edited by beau1
W