2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Do these second thoughts on the killers still mean I can dream that Gaga isn't off the table?

Also, is there any particular reason the cure are being held off before being announced (if of course it is them)?

More shows to be announced or similar?

People are hoping The Killers are wrong

You can hope Gaga plays

But...... neither is likely to be right at this point

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I've thought all the way thru that The Cure wouldn't be announced till the poster drops.

Cos they've got headline festie shows all round Europe all summer, where those other festivals have paid top-dollar while Glastonbury hasn't.

The pay-back on that higher fee for those other fests would be for the cheaper one to not give them much competition - which means a late announcement.

I find that an odd stance given Glastonbury's tickets are sold well in advance and usually well before there is a strong indication of who will be headlining.

The tickets sell themselves in reality.

Surely there isn't a large % of people who have bought tickets for Glastonbury who have done so purely on the basis The Cure *might* headline?

Even if there was, the flexibility of the ticket buying process for Glastonbury means folks can wait until the lineup is dropped and then if The Cure aren't announced buy a ticket at one of the already announced festivals and get some money back on their Glastonbury ticket.

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I find that an odd stance given Glastonbury's tickets are sold well in advance and usually well before there is a strong indication of who will be headlining.

The tickets sell themselves in reality.

Surely there isn't a large % of people who have bought tickets for Glastonbury who have done so purely on the basis The Cure *might* headline?

Even if there was, the flexibility of the ticket buying process for Glastonbury means folks can wait until the lineup is dropped and then if The Cure aren't announced buy a ticket at one of the already announced festivals and get some money back on their Glastonbury ticket.

I think it's more that if you were a massive Cure fan who was going to Glastonbury regardless and you then found out The Cure were playing it would make you less inclined to buy a ticket for another festival. If you were a massive Cure fan and the line up is still up for grabs you might think you can't risk missing them this summer and fork out for another festival too.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

There's still a potential direct impact, as a Glasto ticket holder might buy a ticket for one of those other shows if the Glasto show hasn't been announced.

But also it takes some of the thunder away from those other shows, as each extra show weakens the attraction of the ones already announced.

Of course, promoters have to accept that the act might play other shows, but at least will feel fairly comfortable about it if they're all paying around the same fee. A promoter wouldn't be so happy to have a competing show that's paid significantly less than they have.

A late announcement for Glasto lessens the competing effect and also helps smooth over any promoter upset at different prices.

It doesn't always work in that way but I can see it working like that for The Cure.

I think I just find it difficult to think there's that many folk out there who would buy a festival ticket based on the fact there's one particular act on the lineup.

I know deep down it's my own selfish view that I see a festival as the sum of all it's parts rather than one in particular.

Yeah there is no doubt that an early Glasto announcement would impact ticket sales of other gigs/festivals, for example one of my mates had tickets to see Muse and Coldplay in 2016 and they both ended up announcing for the G. If he had known that in advance he would have saved his coin and just seen them at Glasto.

The Mrs was debating Spice Girls tickets on the chance that they may have played but she ended up getting them so she didn't miss them. Promoters aren't daft (well most of the time) 

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I think I just find it difficult to think there's that many folk out there who would buy a festival ticket based on the fact there's one particular act on the lineup.

you're maybe right, but there will be people who'll buy a ticket because of the combination of acts where the inclusion of the cure is (from one angle) the act that makes the difference between buying a ticket or not.

Think about it from a promoters point of view, too. If Glasto has all the same terms over the booking but has paid half the price, the promoter will feel the band has ripped him off.

So the band will probably feel obliged to give that promoter something the cheaper booking doesn't have, to help cover the price difference. Making the cheaper show a non-competing show is the easy answer to that.

5 minutes ago, ryan.wills said:

can we presume Nick Cave will be in town? considering his stripped back dates he has just announced run until the Friday 28th. + You would assume he will come on with Kylie.

I think he’ll do a secret set early Sunday after a Saturday rest and duet with Kylie later on in the day. Perfect Glastonbury day. Everyone wants Nick Cave and hopefully we get a Killers esque hit set and a Kylie duet, feels like a fourth headliner. 

Tame Impala, The Cure, Nick Cave, The Killers. What a good set of acts to see over one weekend. 

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I think he’ll do a secret set early Sunday after a Saturday rest and duet with Kylie later on in the day. Perfect Glastonbury day. Everyone wants Nick Cave and hopefully we get a Killers esque hit set and a Kylie duet, feels like a fourth headliner. 

Tame Impala, The Cure, Nick Cave, The Killers. What a good set of acts to see over one weekend. 

I don't know why, but I just can't see them being there. Would love to be proved wrong, but they don't seem a very "secret set" kind of act. I reckon 2020.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I've thought all the way thru that The Cure wouldn't be announced till the poster drops.

Cos they've got headline festie shows all round Europe all summer, where those other festivals have paid top-dollar while Glastonbury hasn't.

The pay-back on that higher fee for those other fests would be for the cheaper one to not give them much competition - which means a late announcement.

I'm pretty sure yesterday I heard Lauren Laverne say she has Bob Smith on her show on Monday. If she swerves the question then I reckon you're right.

1 minute ago, Glastoboy said:

I'm pretty sure yesterday I heard Lauren Laverne say she has Bob Smith on her show on Monday. If she swerves the question then I reckon you're right.

oh, he might be on there to announce it then. Not impossible.

If he does, that would still count as a late announcement of sorts (just not as late as i'm thinking), as the other shows have been announced for quite a while.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Why do people think Glastonbury is averse to ‘generic’ festival headliners? 

Ultimately Glastonbury can only get what’s available at the moment, and then only if they can afford it - I get that. But I guess the festival’s a victim of it’s own success in that over the last 15-20 years or so, they’ve been attracting some huge names, some of which are rarities on the festival circuit here. The Cure have been headlining festivals for over 30 years and it’ll be their 4th time at Glasto. No doubt they’ll go down well, as will The Killers, but for me personally, I’ll be elsewhere. 

If The Cure hadn't been a solid rumour this year, I'd not have been in the ticket scrum. Now that I have my ticket I won't cancel if they turn out not to be playing.  I'm not mental.

I'm currently wincing about the place with 3 broken ribs and The Fear that I won't be able to adequately carry my rucksack come June, Cure or no Cure though. :(

The headliners usually are complete tosh.

Last few years we've had Foos, Ed, Radiohead, Muse, Coldplay, Florence, Kasabian, Mumfords, Arctics, Arcade Fire etc. Thats a large chunk of the headliners this decade. Go back further and we've Kings of Leon, The Verve and Basement fucking Jaxx. 

This year looks like the rule as opposed to the exception. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

You’ve only got to look at the headliners of other supposed ‘major’ festivals this year to get that there’s very little available:

Reading/Leeds - One of G’17s headliners, The 1975 and two flavour of the month acts pushed to co-headliners.

IOW has been forced to become a midsized festival for a year at least.

TRNSMT have fucking Catfish and the Bottlemen.

Underwhelming as they may be, at least The Killers/Cure could still be considered major festival headliners, even if they aren’t particularly strong or inspired, but also you’ve got to imagine that only in a year as lacking in big touring names would these acts actually get the call - The Killers with seemingly nothing new to promote, and The Cure after a 25 year absence. 

You've got to feel for TRSMT a little - I get the feeling that their trajectory of becoming a major festival name has been dented by availability this year. The reaction's been savage. Then again, it might be the case that they've overspent on headliners last year, and are having to balance things a little.

Same kinda situation for Mad Cool. Fledgling major festival, spent the big bucks in the first couple of years getting stellar lineups, and this year hasn't quite continued that trajectory. (I'm actually a big fan of the MC lineup this year, and would be going if it wasn't for G).

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The headliners usually are complete tosh.

Last few years we've had Foos, Ed, Radiohead, Muse, Coldplay, Florence, Kasabian, Mumfords, Arctics, Arcade Fire etc. Thats a large chunk of the headliners this decade. Go back further and we've Kings of Leon, The Verve and Basement fucking Jaxx. 

This year looks like the rule as opposed to the exception. 

You're suggesting *all* of those are 'complete tosh'. Maybe it's just that you don't like bands/guitars? For me, there's 3 of the best acts of the last 20 years in that list.

1 hour ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

The secret sets mooted like this are always unlikely, but seeing as he's doing these stripped back shows, how about a cheeky Sunday 'TBA' in the park, a la Thom and Johnny in 2010. Likely to be the worst kept secret though, given the Kylie link.

1 minute ago, Hawros said:

The secret sets mooted like this are always unlikely, but seeing as he's doing these stripped back shows, how about a cheeky Sunday 'TBA' in the park, a la Thom and Johnny in 2010. Likely to be the worst kept secret though, given the Kylie link.

That set would be amazing, I so hope it happens.

49 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

You're suggesting *all* of those are 'complete tosh'. Maybe it's just that you don't like bands/guitars? For me, there's 3 of the best acts of the last 20 years in that list.

Hardly amazingly exciting or exclusive though are they? People put way to much emphasis on the Glasto headliners. 

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Hardly amazingly exciting or exclusive though are they? People put way to much emphasis on the Glasto headliners. 

Of course people do, the Pyramid is the centrepiece of the entire festival and where the majority of punters are likely to spend the most time. It's the first thing the vast, vast majority of people look for/ask about when the lineup comes out.

• Upvote 1