2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

20 minutes ago, blazingstars said:

But as a forum do you often get it right or usually at least one wrong? 

depends who you mean. There's usually someone who's posted the right names ... tho whether they really knew that at the time is another thing. :P 

The info for anyone is only ever as good as the sources, and even the best ones can sometimes get it wrong. It is, after all, gossip.

(back in 2015 I was told by someone who very definitely knew that it was The Who several weeks before their late announcement ... which I dismissed because they had a show in Paris booked in. Ho-hum).

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

(back in 2015 I was told by someone who very definitely knew that it was The Who several weeks before their late announcement ... which I dismissed because they had a show in Paris booked in. Ho-hum).

Is The Who person the same person that has passed on The Cure/Killers? or mentioned anything for this year that we don't yet know

Just now, CJTM said:

Is The Who person the same person that has passed on The Cure/Killers? or mentioned anything for this year that we don't yet know

Nope, different people.

There's a number of regular people who tell me stuff, but they can only tell me stuff they get to hear, and what they're hearing is essentially gossip - tho often from people directly connected to the situation being gossiped about.

The same guy told me The Cure & Macca, tho that had come to him from two different sources he knew, one with 'the cure and macca' and the other with just 'the cure' - and one of them definitely turned out to be wrong. I don't have any way of know which might be wrong until something proves it wrong.

The Killers info has come to me from someone else, who has told me loads of spot-on stuff over a few years, but that info has come to him from someone a little further away gossip-wise than much of his other stuff. It should be right but it might not be. I'll only really know for sure if/when it's announced.

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The Killers info has come to me from someone else, who has told me loads of spot-on stuff over a few years, but that info has come to him from someone a little further away gossip-wise than much of his other stuff. It should be right but it might not be. I'll only really know for sure if/when it's announced.

Fingers crossed on that one then. :no:

57 minutes ago, blazingstars said:

Oh okay. So still some uncertainty then. But as a forum do you often get it right or usually at least one wrong? This is my first year in these ends

Just as an example of how people in the know can be wrong and/or things can change unexpectedly - I think I may have posted part of this before but not the whole thing.

I've rarely had "inside information". The one year I very definitely thought I did was in 2005 - it was going to be U2. I first heard this in early 2004, even before Michael started name dropping them and the public speculation started, because at the time I knew someone who worked for the company that was doing their merchandise - he was as certain as he could be that it was going ahead, because they'd actually been commissioned to provide draft ideas for U2 / Glastonbury 2005 T-Shirts, and work and communication regarding this was going on throughout 2004.

Right up until one day when they signed an exclusive big money worldwide "touring and more" deal with Clear Channel, and all other plans including Glastonbury were instantly off the table. All contracts with said merchandise company were cancelled as part of the deal as well. To this day I still think that they agreed to do it (albeit without a contract being signed), and pulled out.

So yeah, my point in this - even theoretically rock solid sources can be wrong if events overtake them.

Still not buying this Killers rumour, if they were really that stuck for headliners then why would they have Kylie on the Legend's slot? I'd say she's the only Legend so far who's capable of headlining the joint, bit crazy to have her play as a non headliner if your top line is a sausage fest and 2 out of 3 sausages played the last fest in non headline positions.

6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Still not buying this Killers rumour, if they were really that stuck for headliners then why would they have Kylie on the Legend's slot? I'd say she's the only Legend so far who's capable of headlining the joint, bit crazy to have her play as a non headliner if your top line is a sausage fest and 2 out of 3 sausages played the last fest in non headline positions.

Good point Lawn.

Bangers > Sausages. Obvs. 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

She’s doing a similar run of shows to Chic and Hacienda Classical. She’s got a headline set in her but 2019 headliner she ain’t. Pretty much exactly what the Legend’s Slot is for.

Don’t see why it particularly matters about the three headliners being all male if the act that’s gonna steal the show away from them is a woman.

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

She’s doing a similar run of shows to Chic and Hacienda Classical. She’s got a headline set in her but 2019 headliner she ain’t. Pretty much exactly what the Legend’s Slot is for.

Don’t see why it particularly matters about the three headliners being all male if the act that’s gonna steal the show away from them is a woman.

Why isn't she headliner material? I fucking guarantee you she'd pull a bigger crowd than the Killers who are clearly being downgraded from first degree murder to manslaughter by negligence by the day...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Why isn't she headliner material? I fucking guarantee you she'd pull a bigger crowd than the Killers who are clearly being downgraded from first degree murder to manslaughter by negligence by the day...

Because she’s not as big as she once was and her legacy is only enough to carry her to a prominent slot away from the top end of the bill? Dunno why you’re asking me, she’s clearly not headlining after all.

Maybe she will draw a bigger crowd in a traditional 4pm slot than the Killers will at 10pm but you’re out of touch with the world if you think people just aren’t gonna show up to see The Killers, who are a pretty much the go-to festival headline act in the UK.

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Still not buying this Killers rumour, if they were really that stuck for headliners then why would they have Kylie on the Legend's slot? 

I’m not entirely convinced either, mainly because they’ve currently not got any other European dates planned. Obviously this could be a one-off, but I’m more than happy to clutch at straws. Also, them and The Cure, whilst obviously are able to sell out the likes of BST, just seem like generic festival headliners, nothing special, a bit...meh.  

7 hours ago, henry bear said:

I’m not entirely convinced either, mainly because they’ve currently not got any other European dates planned. Obviously this could be a one-off, but I’m more than happy to clutch at straws. Also, them and The Cure, whilst obviously are able to sell out the likes of BST, just seem like generic festival headliners, nothing special, a bit...meh.  

If they are offered the chance to headline again, they'll come over just for that even though funding wise it's probably not paid for. They aren't poor though

Why do people think Glastonbury is averse to ‘generic’ festival headliners? Not like The Cure are actually generic. The two of them are about the same as Radiohead and Foos; one has years off then plumbs the scene, one’s around every year but a hit with punters nonetheless.

You’ve only got to look at the headliners of other supposed ‘major’ festivals this year to get that there’s very little available:

Reading/Leeds - One of G’17s headliners, The 1975 and two flavour of the month acts pushed to co-headliners.

IOW has been forced to become a midsized festival for a year at least.

TRNSMT have fucking Catfish and the Bottlemen.

Underwhelming as they may be, at least The Killers/Cure could still be considered major festival headliners, even if they aren’t particularly strong or inspired, but also you’ve got to imagine that only in a year as lacking in big touring names would these acts actually get the call - The Killers with seemingly nothing new to promote, and The Cure after a 25 year absence. 

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I swear The Cure are only ‘underwhelming’ because we’ve known about it for months and been announced everywhere. If they dropped in fresh out of nowhere, people wouldn’t have been like “well that’s who I was expecting all along”.

But again, only in a year like this would they seem like a good booking coming out of nowhere. Any other year it would be a bit of a ‘The Cure???’ reaction, pretty much like it was when Neil first told us his info (or maybe that was just me...)

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

But again, only in a year like this would they seem like a good booking coming out of nowhere. Any other year it would be a bit of a ‘The Cure???’ reaction, pretty much like it was when Neil first told us his info (or maybe that was just me...)

I don’t right know what other festivals would have to book to make The Cure look like a poor choice.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Also, is there any particular reason the cure are being held off before being announced (if of course it is them)?

I've thought all the way thru that The Cure wouldn't be announced till the poster drops.

Cos they've got headline festie shows all round Europe all summer, where those other festivals have paid top-dollar while Glastonbury hasn't.

The pay-back on that higher fee for those other fests would be for the cheaper one to not give them much competition - which means a late announcement.