2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

7 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Phoenix and their music is exactly the type of stuff that Coachella loves. upbeat synth-y indie pop. Empire Of The State (remember them?) were on the 2nd line on the poster in 2017 ffs

similar one-hit wonders Portugal the Man were the 3rd name on their day last year, ahead of Migos and Cardi B....

e: they're actually called Empire of the Sun, which goes to show how much I've forgotten about them in the 10 years since they've had a hit, yet still manage absurdly high placements at Coachella.

I think it just goes to show you spelt it wrong rather than forgotten about them.

9 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Phoenix and their music is exactly the type of stuff that Coachella loves. upbeat synth-y indie pop. Empire Of The State (remember them?) were on the 2nd line on the poster in 2017 ffs

similar one-hit wonders Portugal the Man were the 3rd name on their day last year, ahead of Migos and Cardi B....

e: they're actually called Empire of the Sun, which goes to show how much I've forgotten about them in the 10 years since they've had a hit, yet still manage absurdly high placements at Coachella.

I actually looked into this after their announcement that year and apparently that song wasn’t a hit over there until a Honda advert in 2016, so they weren’t just hanging on to old glories, they had a second wind of sorts.

Your point still stands, just thought you might appreciate that detail. :D

Yer man Luke from EotS and Sleepy Jackson was at Coachella last year with a new band (more EDM lite guff similar to EotS later work). Clearly has close ties with the staff. Should bring back Sleepy Jackson, always thought they had some lovely George Harrisonesque tunes about them.

15 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Yer man Luke from EotS and Sleepy Jackson was at Coachella last year with a new band (more EDM lite guff similar to EotS later work). Clearly has close ties with the staff. Should bring back Sleepy Jackson, always thought they had some lovely George Harrisonesque tunes about them.

Oddly enough we put Lovers on last weekend for the first time in about a decade. Largely holds up.

21 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

just checked mine on my phone, 122km (76m) for the 5 days, so not far off you. I'd imagine most people were doing 10miles a day at least!

Just checked mine, averaged 20 miles a day! Did 23 on the Friday. Should aim to get in at least one full marathon this year.

14 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Damn quit moving the goalposts.

I don't think anybody has said they're exciting, but exciting headliners are thin on the ground. Glastonbury needs solid headline acts and The Killers are one. Last few years they've sold out 60,000 cap Hyde Park in a matter of days, headlined stadiums, IOW, TRNSMT and Latitude, shifted 50k first week sales (in UK this is pretty good, esp. for a band). Their status here is undeniable, and I would say over in America they're clearly one of the big bands seeing as every festival seemed comfortable enough to book them to headline despite being all over the map.

They're oversaturated, sure, but the general public don't analyse this shit like we do, nor will they know/care that two guitarists have changed. They want a band they know who they can get excited about and sing along to, and The Killers are very popular with the middle-class millennial demographic that Glastonbury attracts a lot of so I don't see any problem..

Cant argue with that. As much as I would rather it be someone else I am not going to be too bothered if its the Killers even though they stalk me at festivals. I would much rather the Killers played over the Cure. 

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

What are folks thoughts on announcements then?

Remaining headliners before big poster drop? 

I'd say we're about a month(ish) away from the biggy.

I think we have the three. I guess there might be a surprise or two on the undercard but I think that may have been reserved for Janet Jackson if it hadn't already been leaked*

* which could also turn out to be nonsense, tbf

I only watched Radiohead out of the 3 headliners in 2017, but Stormzy, The Cure and The Killers would be poor verging on ridiculous for the best festival on the planet.  The Cure are great and a band I would always enjoy seeing, but it does seem very random. (I accept that this idea of Glastonbury having enormous and very "relevant" headliners is a fairly recent development.)

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

My money is on us getting a headliner before the end of the month (we always get SOMETHING in February), then maybe one or two names in March before the first poster drops in or around balance week.

3 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

I only watched Radiohead out of the 3 headliners in 2017, but Stormzy, The Cure and The Killers would be poor verging on ridiculous for the best festival on the planet.  The Cure are great and a band I would always enjoy seeing, but it does seem very random. (I accept that this idea of Glastonbury having enormous and very "relevant" headliners is a fairly recent development.)

It's who is available though and who they want to headline. Stormzy is a no brainer really after the hype he got from 2017 and then the Brits, throw in the fact he has a new album coming out then they will probably be glad they gave him his shot now. Whether or not you or other like him is really irrelevant as he will get a decent sized crowd if 2017 is anything to go by. The Cure is the strangest one of the 3 for me. The Killers will have a big crowd- they sold out BST and majority if not all of their last UK arena tour. 

It could have been Ezra, one of the gallaghers or the courteeners like other festivals so i'd say it's still better than whats available.

51 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

If we use the last 2 festivals as a guide we will get a headliner end of Feb and then the 3rd mid march before the poster end of March.