2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Gonna rudely jump in here. Not that I consciously measured it but in 2016 my step count was the equivalent to 81 miles from the Wednesday morning to getting back to my car on the following Monday morning. This obviously included dancing but I also put the number down to not being able to sit anywhere cos of the mud and having to keep moving. 2017 was a smaller number in comparison as there was more opportunities to sit and lay down in the grass 

just checked mine on my phone, 122km (76m) for the 5 days, so not far off you. I'd imagine most people were doing 10miles a day at least!

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Gonna rudely jump in here. Not that I consciously measured it but in 2016 my step count was the equivalent to 81 miles from the Wednesday morning to getting back to my car on the following Monday morning. This obviously included dancing but I also put the number down to not being able to sit anywhere cos of the mud and having to keep moving. 2017 was a smaller number in comparison as there was more opportunities to sit and lay down in the grass

I've checked and the most i did in 1 day was 16.2 miles however i was up at 5:30 am for work until midday and then wandered all over that saturday in 17. Late Saturday night i was shattered but still managed to get plastered and have a good dance. Mental how much you can do when you actually want to :lol:

32 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

just checked mine on my phone, 122km (76m) for the 5 days, so not far off you. I'd imagine most people were doing 10miles a day at least!

The equivalent of three marathons in five days is a mind blower. Maybe all that physical activity counteracts all of the substances, lack of food, minimal sleep like some beautiful balancing act? 

12 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The equivalent of three marathons in five days is a mind blower. Maybe all that physical activity counteracts all of the substances, lack of food, minimal sleep like some beautiful balancing act? 

That would explain how I can manage Glastonbury but one big night out in the normal world screws me for days! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I didn't measure my steps, but I expect 2016 would have been up on 2017 too - I enjoyed 2016 by moving, moving, moving.  Not by moping about looking for somewhere to sit.

In 2017, I sat on the ground in front of the Pyramid for most of the Friday.

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

In all seriousness I do think all the fresh air and walking does help counteract some of the abuse. Hangovers are usually more manageable for me once I get up and about. It's just the tiredness that gets me!

It's incredible what our bodies manage to survive at a festival - Feel like it should be studied by scientists somewhere.

The absolute bottom of the trench is around 10am when you're in a boiling hot tent feeling like you might actually die. But then you have a Berocca and you could go to war. Amazing.

• Upvote 1

Walking definitely helps get you back into helthy ways after a heavy session. You dont give yourself much recovery time before the abuse starts again so I think exercise and eating are hugely important as well as fitting in water between the alcohol to stop dehydration. 

Last time I had bands lined up from. The start to the end of the day but wasnt too steingent on fitting them all in and had some marked out that were clashes just in case I ended up in a different area and would have something to do. 

If I can remember correctly I did:

Thursday - Brass Band (cant remember which one), Napalm Death, The Men Who Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing, Rhythm of The Nineties, Smoothsailors. 

Friday - Hacienda Classical, Craig Charles, Lemon Twigs, Kris Kristofferson, Martha Wainwright, Nadine Shah, The Beat, A Tribe Called Red, Radiohead

Saturday - Bootleg Beatles, Moonlandingz, Cabbage, Toots (No Showed), Liam Gallagher, The National, Father John Misty, Foo Fighters

Sunday - King Gizzard ans The Lizard Wizard, Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes, The Magic Numbers and Bootleg Beatles again (Around them caught some of Barry Gibb, Chic and Biffy Clyro). 

Felt a bit rough Friday and Saturday was a long slog but generally with all the walking I never felt like death at any real point, though I did spew up on Sat night and I think that spared me a Sunday hangover. Wasnt that strict either, had bands I wanted to see but otherwise we just made our way round the festival seeing bands who we wanted that were fairly close by thougb Thur/Fri we started on the otherside to the featival to where we were camped which wasnt the greatest idea. 

5 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm caricaturing somewhat for comic effect, @Wazzyj2w

The thing is that I do have something of a rep for packing my festival to the brim, and being pathologically unable just to bimble. Rest assured that I always have the most unbelievable time, but making sure that pretty every waking moment (about 20-21 hours a day) is full of stuff is an integral part of that for me. @Gnomicide's reference is to the fact that most people, quite sensibly, advise festival goers, especially newbies, not to plan too much.

Horses for course, of course, of course, to paraphrase Dr Seuss.

Ben

Do you think, as therapy, you may be able to plan in an hour of bimble time this year Ben, or is the thought of that making you twitch

Just as a sideline, have you ever ever gone off piste and torn up the schedule for even a couple of hours to 'go with the flow'

FF xx

I’m quite rigid in sticking to the must sees on Clashfinder, but I’ve found in recent years the best balance between being social with our group - many of whom aren’t that fussed about seeing loads of bands - and needing my own music fixes, so I find half a day with maybe 6 acts I will go see on my own, and race around like crazy, doing plenty of mileage. I love walking round anyway especially when conditions are good, prefer it to sitting on a blanket at the Pyramid for hours.

18 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Do you think, as therapy, you may be able to plan in an hour of bimble time this year Ben, or is the thought of that making you twitch

Just as a sideline, have you ever ever gone off piste and torn up the schedule for even a couple of hours to 'go with the flow'

FF xx

Chest...pain...

Central...crushing...chest...pai...........

Ben

• Upvote 3

Think my favourite moment of 2017 was heading off on my own from camp to get a drink and a bit of food, and ending up watching the majority of The Pretenders from the back of the field and then having a wander about. Hadn't had them on my list, and had actually forgot they were playing.

Hadn't been to Glastonbury since 2009 so it was like seeing an old friend. Such a lovely solo moment - even with the absolutely savage post Shangri La comedown from the night before.

Edited by Zacko

Me and even more so my wife aren't big drinkers so don't blame alcohol but the walking and standing is epic over the 5 days . 2016 had full plan as it was our first walked a ridiculous amount . I remember walking back to worthy view car park on Monday stopped at one point thought I can't walk one more step . Was wiped out for a week after .2017 learnt my lesson took it bit easier lot less running between stages lot more relaxing lot less planning .

7 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

One nice thing to do if you are missing out on the headliners is to head up the hill and take in the view whilst the festival is going full tilt. In 2016 we forewent the company of Adele on the Pyramid for the smaller scale pleasures offered by The Turin Brakes on Avalon. After the show we headed back up to Worthy View via Strummerville and got see the site in all its Saturday night glory. Arcadia flaming away to the west, Adele and the lit up Pyramid to the north and buzz of the naughty corner to the east, it really was quite the sight.

We sat up at strummerville that night had a beer watched the glory of Glastonbury at night from a distance . We saw half of Adele set wasn't really arsed about seeing anymore and wanted to escape the madness for an hour . It's a sight to see 

• Upvote 1

The Killers were just announced as the headliner at Beale Street Music Fest on May 3rd in Tennessee...this is a C-level fest, not even close to being in the same class as Lolla, Bonnaroo, or Coachella...not even on par with Governors Ball or Firefly...

It's a sad state of affairs if these minor league US fests are booking the same headliners as Glasto.

3 minutes ago, gearbm95 said:

The Killers were just announced as the headliner at Beale Street Music Fest on May 3rd in Tennessee...this is a C-level fest, not even close to being in the same class as Lolla, Bonnaroo, or Coachella...not even on par with Governors Ball or Firefly...

It's a sad state of affairs if these minor league US fests are booking the same headliners as Glasto.

They're more popular in the UK than they are in the US, simple as that. Works the other way too with bands that have headlined festivals over here playing low down over there. Granted it usually aligns the other way with nationality.

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

They're more popular in the UK than they are in the US, simple as that. Works the other way too with bands that have headlined festivals over here playing low down over there. Granted it usually aligns the other way with nationality.

Don’t speak common sense!! That’s not allowed here. 

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Yep. LCD headliner Coachella and were Otehr Stage at Glastonbury. Editors headline festivals in Europe!

Things change country to country 

Edited by strummer77

10 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Makes sense really, The Killers always sounded like a British indie band.

21 minutes ago, gearbm95 said:

They headlined Gov Ball, Lolla and Bonnaroo in 2017/18, genius.

Edited by dentalplan