2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, Wazzyj2w said:

Wow, while impressive that seems very unenjoyable. I understand everyones Glasto is different but that seems like you must spend most of your festival walking around

If you've gone to a music festival to see bands and spend 90% watching them, that would probably be very enjoyable

1 minute ago, Username taken said:

If you've gone to a music festival to see bands and spend 90% watching them, that would probably be very enjoyable

I agree with that but he said an hourly rate of 3/4, given that a normal set is around 45 mins he must have been going stage to stage in that hour. Suggesting a lot of walking around

4 minutes ago, Wazzyj2w said:

Wow, while impressive that seems very unenjoyable. I understand everyones Glasto is different but that seems like you must spend most of your festival walking around

I'm caricaturing somewhat for comic effect, @Wazzyj2w

The thing is that I do have something of a rep for packing my festival to the brim, and being pathologically unable just to bimble. Rest assured that I always have the most unbelievable time, but making sure that pretty every waking moment (about 20-21 hours a day) is full of stuff is an integral part of that for me. @Gnomicide's reference is to the fact that most people, quite sensibly, advise festival goers, especially newbies, not to plan too much.

Horses for course, of course, of course, to paraphrase Dr Seuss.

Ben

7 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Even in 2016? Wow hats off, well hat off as i'm not Stu 2 hats!

There was one moment in 2016, Sunday I think, when I considered not completing the scheduled Park-Williams Green-Park set to set to set sequence.

I just wasn't sure I was up for the Mud-Eiger climb again so soon.

And then I had a word with myself and went to the Park and C Duncan was brilliant. You can't deny the BenFinderTM

:)

Ben

• Upvote 1

This year will be my 9th and it's taken me pretty much that long to realise that the more bands I try to pack in the less I just sit back and enjoy the festival. I reckon planning for 3 or 4 is perfect. I want to stumble across random stuff and soak it all up this year.

I'll still do a clashfinder like. 

Unless I'm really dying to see a band I'll pick a few blocks of bands/ acts on one stage and go and hang about that area for a few hours. Honestly cannot be bothered rushing from stage to stage and having a full itinerary planned out. Probably cos it reminds me of going on holidays with my mum as a child.

14 minutes ago, Divein said:

Talking about you @bennyhana22, do you have a link to your big first post after your first Glastonbury. I like to read it from time to time and I feel it’s up there with the twix story in terms of getting in the mood. 

Awww, thanks, @Divein

Contrary to the perception I might give, I'm not a shameless self-publicist!

I've had a little look for that post, as you were so kind to ask, but I can't find it in 'My Activity'. I imagine someone cleverer could find it...!

Ben

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

have you ever measured your steps @bennyhana22? im intrigued as to how many marathons you do per hour ? :) 

No - I've got a pretty nice GPS watch, as I'm a runner, but I only wear it for running/swimming, as I like my normal watch too much!

I do cover a lot of ground at Glastonbury, but then so do many. It's important for me to reiterate that I acknowledge that I am the outlier in all of this, and would never be disparaging regarding those who prefer a more relaxed and less structured festival. I have tried hard to do things that way before, but my nature just compels me to pack things in, and at Glastonbury there is never not somewhere that I will really want to be - it's a curse!

The closest I have come to a 'normal' model is Boomtown last year where, because the daytime musical profile is not quite my thing (there's only so much jump-up Balkan pop-rock this boy can take...), I was slightly less military...but my clashfinders were still pretty rammo.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

have you ever measured your steps @bennyhana22? im intrigued as to how many marathons you do per hour ? :) 

Gonna rudely jump in here. Not that I consciously measured it but in 2016 my step count was the equivalent to 81 miles from the Wednesday morning to getting back to my car on the following Monday morning. This obviously included dancing but I also put the number down to not being able to sit anywhere cos of the mud and having to keep moving. 2017 was a smaller number in comparison as there was more opportunities to sit and lay down in the grass

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Gonna rudely jump in here. Not that I consciously measured it but in 2016 my step count was the equivalent to 81 miles from the Wednesday morning to getting back to my car on the following Monday morning. This obviously included dancing but I also put the number down to not being able to sit anywhere cos of the mud and having to keep moving. 2017 was a smaller number in comparison as there was more opportunities to sit and lay down in the grass

Flipping heck, SC...!

Ben

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

im traling at about 65 miles ... but its still a decent distance :) but I do do a fair amount of moving on the spot compared to my friends ... described by me as dancing but others might not be so polite :) 

Edited by crazyfool1

25 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This year will be my 9th and it's taken me pretty much that long to realise that the more bands I try to pack in the less I just sit back and enjoy the festival. I reckon planning for 3 or 4 is perfect. I want to stumble across random stuff and soak it all up this year.

I'll still do a clashfinder like. 

I spend weeks building up to the festival meticulously planning and preparing a clashfinder in a manner that would make Ben look like a lazy, ill-prepared bum....

...then it all goes out of the window within seconds of getting through the gate.

• Like 1

I colour code the Clashfinder before I go. They will be a very few must sees who I will not miss, then a load of others who I highlight as "recomended" who I think will be good, but not overly concerned if I miss - this will be after trawling through BSR's playlist for a few weeks before hand. If I am nearby and in the mood at the time then I might go an see them, if I'm not I will just carry on bimbling around and see what happens. Just means I am never worrying about missing anything and am always chilled just going with the flow wandering round the site

I find pleasure in a healthy balance of wandering around the festival and planning the shit out of my day.

2017 was my first time and while it's good to plan a general schedule for each day, The Festival may not want you to stick to those plans. I remember the Other Stage being extremely packed for Rag & Bone man and getting through that crowd was a decent setback in what I had planned.

Also was lucky enough to plan to get inside the JP tent for The Killers early. As I heard that they ended up closing off the tent eventually.

No matter how much you plan, you can't predict it all. 

9 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I colour code the Clashfinder before I go. They will be a very few must sees who I will not miss, then a load of others who I highlight as "recomended" who I think will be good, but not overly concerned if I miss - this will be after trawling through BSR's playlist for a few weeks before hand. If I am nearby and in the mood at the time then I might go an see them, if I'm not I will just carry on bimbling around and see what happens. Just means I am never worrying about missing anything and am always chilled just going with the flow wandering round the site

Same, have a load of stuff I like to see, then some falls by the way side if you find something more appealing or if conditions or crowds mean you can't get to a choice 

10 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Exactly this. I spent my first G (2007) seeing as many bands as I physically could, and the stress / rushing around / being on my Tod took away from the overall experience.

A balanced approach has been adopted since, while still minimising the FOMO.