2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

8 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

One nice thing to do if you are missing out on the headliners is to head up the hill and take in the view whilst the festival is going full tilt. In 2016 we forewent the company of Adele on the Pyramid for the smaller scale pleasures offered by The Turin Brakes on Avalon. After the show we headed back up to Worthy View via Strummerville and got see the site in all its Saturday night glory. Arcadia flaming away to the west, Adele and the lit up Pyramid to the north and buzz of the naughty corner to the east, it really was quite the sight.

This always causes me huge conflict and distress.

I know how amazing it is to gaze over the site at night when it's going full gas, my eyes popping in wonderment at all the incredible venues below me...

...but if I'm doing that, then I'm not IN/AT one of the incredible venues below me...

...and, quite frankly, that just ain't right!

:)

Ben

3 minutes ago, blazingstars said:

This sounds awesome. Going to be my first Glastonbury and if I'm uninspired by any of the headliners I'm definitely leaving halfway through to do this!

I'd be careful about saying 'definitely' to anything (unless you're me, but that's a whole different conversation...!)

If you leave a headliner half way through, you have no idea how many things there are on the Farm to way-lay you 'on your way up the hill'!!!

Ben

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

This always causes me huge conflict and distress.

I know how amazing it is to gaze over the site at night when it's going full gas, my eyes popping in wonderment at all the incredible venues below me...

...but if I'm doing that, then I'm not IN/AT one of the incredible venues below me...

...and, quite frankly, that just ain't right!

Ben

You can always pop back down it will still be open! ?

It really is fab though and worth doing at least once.

8 minutes ago, blazingstars said:

I know lots of you don't want them and think they're underwhelming and boring etc but I really want The Killers and am worried my hopes have been raised too high! Kind of regretting checking out all the rumours now in case I'm disappointed - which I may well be. How often are rumours right at this stage? Still feels like there are others it could be (namely Strokes but also maybe Arctic Monkeys?).

I wouldn't worry about folks on here think. Enjoy The Killers it will be one big bouncing sing-along even it is not an ideal saturday night for many of us on here.

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nah, I don't really think so. Bands won't be lining up their touring schedules to hit a particular Glastonbury year in the hope they get asked to play that particular year.

There might be a headliner or two where that is a factor of what they're scheduling, but there's much more than just a headliner or two out there.

That's the key thing though isn't it? I don't think anyone's complaining about the undercard this year, it's the headliners. And wouldn't it be possible that massive touring-in-2019 acts like Paul McCartney and Elton John wanted to do the 50th instead (considering they're touring in both years)? Both or even one of those would make a big difference to the way the overall strength of the line-up is being perceived. 

Just now, The Martini Police said:

That's the key thing though isn't it? I don't think anyone's complaining about the undercard this year, it's the headliners. And wouldn't it be possible that massive touring-in-2019 acts like Paul McCartney and Elton John wanted to do the 50th instead (considering they're touring in both years)? Both or even one of those would make a big difference to the way the overall strength of the line-up is being perceived. 

but as i pointed out, anyone who is making those arrangements would already be signed up, and would only number one or two.

There's many more acts who could headline.

If it even exists it's such a small factor in what happens this year it might as well not be there.

There's a general bit of confusion amongst my group of friends, where some are insisting that Emily near enough confirmed at one point that one of the headliners would be a woman? We were all banking on Madonna or Gaga for so long but in here it seems everybody is convinced it's Stormzy/The Cure/Killers. Now we're thinking one of us made it up to the rest of the group and then somehow we all ended up believing it..

Just now, jackmerton said:

There's a general bit of confusion amongst my group of friends, where some are insisting that Emily near enough confirmed at one point that one of the headliners would be a woman?

Pretty sure she never said anything along those lines for this year.

Best guess is that someone got confused with some of her more generalised comments along the lines of "we want more female representation".

3 minutes ago, jackmerton said:

There's a general bit of confusion amongst my group of friends, where some are insisting that Emily near enough confirmed at one point that one of the headliners would be a woman? We were all banking on Madonna or Gaga for so long but in here it seems everybody is convinced it's Stormzy/The Cure/Killers. Now we're thinking one of us made it up to the rest of the group and then somehow we all ended up believing it..

After the criticisms a few years ago about the lack of female artists there was a promise of more in the future, especially headliners. That’s why the current rumours surprise me. I had thought that Florence would take a headliner spot but maybe too soon after the last time. 

I would still be very surprised if the festival went with two headliners that played at the previous edition (yes albeit a secret set).

Surely if it was Macca/Madonna/Gaga for Saturday night, they would have had a stronger contingency plan than The Killers.

I was convinced there would be a female on the top line this year - I wouldn't discredit Neil because he's obv ITK more than any of us here, but I don't know, something doesn't sit right with me for Stormzy / The Killers / The Cure.

Is there a chance they could be in the frame for 2020 alongside Macca or whoever instead?

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

After the criticisms a few years ago about the lack of female artists there was a promise of more in the future, especially headliners. That’s why the current rumours surprise me. I had thought that Florence would take a headliner spot but maybe too soon after the last time. 

Again it boils down to who's available. Whilst I agree there should be more female representation at festivals, who could realistically headline this year? 

Madonna is obviously too expensive, as are Fleetwood Mac by the sounds of it. As you say Florence is probably too soon headlining again which doesn't leave a big pool of female headliners. Maybe Lady Gaga but she seems content doing her Vegas Residency so not much the organisers can do.

11 minutes ago, jackmerton said:

Quite possibly the 'female, non British' comment about the legend spot, which of course was Kylie. 

16 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Its a load of rubbish to try and squeeze in female headliners just for the sake of female headliners. They should just go with the best acts they can get for each year. 

If it happens to be three females are best then go with that, three males, a mix, different genres, etc whatever, its impossible to try and hold a completely balance festival based on equality, they do a pretty good job of getting a good balance imo anyway. 

Edited by chatty

Re: 2020, I know there's a lot of disagreement on whether it'll be any different, given that the major factor is tour schedules, but Emily has hinted that one or more acts have held back.

Personally, I'm reading that as Macca. Makes sense given the developments this year.

I'm not saying it's the case, but this is my gut. They've got Macca and Elton already booked in. The final slot is to be arranged, but will be someone like The 1975, a younger act with the trajectory.

That's what I'm believing, and there's nothing to disprove it as we stand.

(Edit: I realise in the middle of this discussion that this looks very male-heavy again)

Edited by Hawros

19 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Oh I've done it, don't worry!

I just have a bit of a...erm...problem, regarding my festival and what I'm 'doing'. Suffice to say that my clashfinder is...busy...!

Ben

Every time I hear someone say "Don't plan anything! Just pick one or two things to see each day! Go with the flow! Bimble!" my thoughts turn to Ben and his folder with his portrait AND landscape printed clashfinders.

These people should be made to sit in a room with Ben while he explains EXACTLY why you should have it all planned out.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hawros said:

Re: 2020, I know there's a lot of disagreement on whether it'll be any different, given that the major factor is tour schedules, but Emily has hinted that one or more acts have held back.

Personally, I'm reading that as Macca. Makes sense given the developments this year.

I'm not saying it's the case, but this is my gut. They've got Macca and Elton already booked in. The final slot is to be arranged, but will be someone like The 1975, a younger act with the trajectory.

That's what I'm believing, and there's nothing to disprove it as we stand.

(Edit: I realise in the middle of this discussion that this looks very male-heavy again)

Its probably true, people like to be oresent for milstones but if thats the case theres gonna end up being a lot of disappointed artists when they dont get the call (theres only three headline slots afterall). 

Plus if everyones vying for a slot next year and its a super packed line up thatll go down in the ages of music line ups (which I dont think it will be much different from other years tbh) then its gonna be harder to stand out than this year. Your probably more likely to make a bigger impact this year if its perceived as a weak line-uo as youll stand out more. 

5 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Every time I hear someone say "Don't plan anything! Just pick one or two things to see each day! Go with the flow! Bimble!" my thoughts turn to Ben and his folder with his portrait AND landscape printed clashfinders.

These people should be made to sit in a room with Ben while he explains EXACTLY why you should have it all planned out.

I tend to try and stick to some sort of plan but mainly just 3 or possibly 4 acts per day, the rest of the time is a complete gamble on where i'd end up. My first year I had a full plan and thought I could stick to it and then the weather completely ruined that idea and it was much better.

7 minutes ago, chatty said:

Its a load of rubbish to try and squeeze in female headliners just for the sake of female headliners. They should just go with the best acts they can get for each year. 

If it happens to be three females are beat then go with that, three males, a mix, different genres, etc whatever, its impossible to try and hold a completely balance festival based on equality, they do a pretty good job of getting a good balance imo anyway. 

Agree with that. It’s just there was a bit of a clamour for more female acts a few years back. Certainly the festival has a decent record of getting a balance 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Amen, Sister

After all, Glastonburys, like life, are finite...

Ben

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

I tend to try and stick to some sort of plan but mainly just 3 or possibly 4 acts per day, the rest of the time is a complete gamble on where i'd end up. My first year I had a full plan and thought I could stick to it and then the weather completely ruined that idea and it was much better.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That is priceless, @Doug85

Ben