2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, Robofish said:

Lots of people dissing The Cure for not being relevant. A lot of people hoping for Macca, FMac, Led Zep, Queen with Adam Lambert, Madge etc. Any of those still relevant?

The Cure are a great band with a dozen or so absolute bangers. Worthy at Worthy.

Which songs get the crowd most excited at their live shows? I've tried watching a couple of their concerts and it all seems a bit dull except for when they play Boys don't cry and Friday I'm in love.

4 minutes ago, Anarion said:

Which songs get the crowd most excited at their live shows? I've tried watching a couple of their concerts and it all seems a bit dull except for when they play Boys don't cry and Friday I'm in love.

I’d add InBetween Days, Catterpillar, Close To You, Why Can’t I Be You, Never Enough, The walk, Pictures Of You, Shake Dog Shake to that list. Not sure if they still play Catch or Hanging Garden. But they should.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Robofish said:

Lots of people dissing The Cure for not being relevant. A lot of people hoping for Macca, FMac, Led Zep, Queen with Adam Lambert, Madge etc. Any of those still relevant?

The Cure are a great band with a dozen or so absolute bangers. Worthy at Worthy. 

Those acts you mention though, bar Macca, have yet to headline the G - their heritage status would make them a fantastic booking, relevant or not. This'll be The Cure's fourth appearance (I'm back to knocking them :P)! I'll need to listen to them some more as I can only name one of their tracks, and recognise only a couple of others. The performances I've viewed online just look a bit, well, dull. Each to their own, of course! 

Edited by djdavejohnson
Typo

What's amazing about the Cure's own shows is that they have such a gigantic catalogue that everybody in the crowd is most excited about a different song. During any given song, you can look around and see at least a hundred people going nuts. 

I know that won't necessarily apply at Glasto, but it gives a bit of context as to why so many people are so excited! 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Really? Is Kylie that big (well not literally, HA!) nowadays?

At Rock Werchter she's not even on the main stage, but playing the big tent. And I suspect she'll not even headline that tent.

Not sure how big she is in Belgium but I'd say she's a pretty big deal over here - the place will be rammo.

19 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Really? Is Kylie that big (well not literally, HA!) nowadays?

At Rock Werchter she's not even on the main stage, but playing the big tent. And I suspect she'll not even headline that tent.

But if she is headlining or even playing 2nd on the biggest stage then that would put her now lower down than 4th on main stage which is her Glastonbury slot.

5 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Why? It's not a very special act, or am I missing something? Wouldn't mind seeing her if there's nothing on but wouldn't want to miss The Cure to see her at Werchter either, for instance.

I reckon Stormzy will be the most talked about act. On these boards The Cure is also in the running for that title. ?

Nearly headlined 15 years ago but had to pull out due to her C battle, a genuine pop icon and adored in this country. To the point of being an adopted national treasure. Also the bangers, lots of fun-everyone-knows-them bangers. Plus the hot pants, think gold hot pants at Glastonbury will be a regular things for years to come after her blowing away the pyramid. 

Edited by HeyPorter
Hot not hits.
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Robofish said:

Lots of people dissing The Cure for not being relevant. A lot of people hoping for Macca, FMac, Led Zep, Queen with Adam Lambert, Madge etc. Any of those still relevant?

Here here!

39 minutes ago, Robofish said:

Tbf there is an obvious difference. Those are legendary bands (albeit one with a new singer and one without one of their most famous members). They are a few levels above the likes if The Cure, The Killers etc. 

Also The Cure have already headlined three times, The Killers once and played at the last festival as well as Stormzy who also played at the last festival, both havent done anything new since then and have been bumped up. 

They will probably all play again. Im pretty sure that between Macca, Queen, Mac, Madonna and Led Zep we'll be lucky to get one single performance from the lot of them combined. 

They all have more mainstream appeal and all have a far bigger etching in music history. Its quite obvious why people hold them in higher esteem even if they are no lobger relevant i. 2019.

Even though its unrealistic any of those are announced as Glastonbury headliners and it makes a hundred times bigger buzz all. Round than were likely to get from the front runners. 

The current crop are fine as headliners tbf, they are just a bit underwhelming when they are doing it together. I think this year needed a big headliner to supplement the other two who look fairly weak but everyobe will have a good time anyway so it is what it is. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Really? She's 50.

Haha, what? She's stunning!

Back onto her legends slot, it will pull a huge crowd. It's a perfect Sunday afternoon booking. It will be nice and sunny and everyone will have that happy/sad Sunday GF feeling, dancing along to some Kylie classics!