2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I think the past their prime bit sticks out. 

Radiohead have three albums that are often listed amongst the best ever, one as recent as 2007, and a bunch of other albums that are largely thought of as being brilliant also. Still releasing acclaimed albums to this day - they’re just not ‘best ever’ material, a tough achievement. 

Yeah, so since 2007, they've put out two albums, one which a lot of fans don't seem to care about (trying to be objective here, I don't like TKOL at all but that's besides the point), and another album which is good but it's rarely thrown in with OK Computer, Kid A, or In Rainbows. So I don't think it's unfair to say they're past their prime. It's really not a dig at them; I think Radiohead are great.

The Killers have half an album of singles from 2004, and then some scattered singles since, although their last two albums have essentially been farts in the wind that made little to no impact. 

Both bands are essentially riding on their former glories to a point like most headliner sized acts are, but it’s dumb to argue that The Killers haven’t been riding off the coat tails of half an album for fifteen years now. 

I think that's totally unfair to reduce them to half of Hot Fuss. When You Were Young is their best performing song in the charts, in fact the first 3 singles off Sam's Town all did well. It's hardly "scattered"; they were a big deal for more than 5 minutes in 2004. They were absolutely huge from 2004 for half a decade. 

If The Killers are headlining then they’re almost certainly either a replacement for somebody pulling out, or a panic booking as there’s fuck all else to choose from this year (which I think The Cure probably are as well).

Ehhhh this isn't even worth debating as it's pure speculation. You have no idea if any of that is true. They could easily have been signed up when they agreed to do the secret set.

1 minute ago, Keithy said:

Tbh, if 'traditional' headliners were thin on the ground this year, I'd rather they go down the Stormzy route of giving acts a big push. Would much rather the 1975 than The Killers.

Suspect the offer to the 1975 this year was to sub, which they've passed on. 

They’ve already bumped up Stormzy though, and it’s not like Glastonbury is in the business of bumping up headliners like it’s nothing. The Killers aren’t inspired but they’re a proven headliner, and what Glastonbury would need in this instance.

Sorry for being too lazy to go through the thread, but has the Killers rumour got weight behind it, or is it based on bookies odds and guesses?

Personally, I think they are a good choice, due to their popularity and quality of their sets (though somewhat uninspiring, I've seen them around a dozen times)... But they're on that fine line of putting on a set that could be one people talk about in the future (especially with the musicians they could potentially bring out with them), but it could also just be very standard and people say "I got smashed and had fun"

Though I don't think there's any chance of them putting on a bad show.

Love AF, caught them at Earls Court for the Reflektor tour and they were phenomenal. EN felt like an attempt to finally grab into a more mainstream audience, which fell a bit flat and didn't exactly go down well with critics (I didn't mind it, few very solid tracks but some very weak ones as well), which is a shame as everything prior was a winner. Hopefully they get it right on the next album and either make a decent pop record or go back to being indie champions. 

Thought Reflektor was a good album. The finished product didn't quite match up to their ambition, but there's still a standard album length's worth of bangers on there that 99.9999% of acts would give a bollock to have just one of in their arsenal. If you don't fuck with Aflterlife you're dead inside and that's the truth.

Pyramid headline set was glorious, I struggle to say which is my favourite ever Glastonbury show; that or LCD.

It's true that Everything Now is largely the sort of album that by all rights should get Win put on trial in The Hague, but I did see them at Wembly on that tour and it was fucking masterful stuff. There's a very very small pool of viable Glastonbury headliners who can put on a show anywhere near that good.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

That might be their best shot to be honest.

Might be wrong but IIRC their last arena tour didn't sell brilliantly.

RE: Arcade Fire.

They sold out 3 nights at Wembley Arena, and as our Canadian friend says, was a fantastic show.

Someone described them as shorting a fuse on EN, with all the political happenings atm it should have been prime for them, but managed to mess it up a little.

Huge fan here, and have faith they'll come back strongly. Loved the '14 set, but agree they might have been a one-off for now.

59 minutes ago, nikkic said:

But most years we at least go in to the festival thinking there could be another big Pyramid moment. 

That someone will step up with a set for the ages. 

Not this year. 

All just a bit meh. 

Stormzy could easily provide the 'moment' if he gets it right.

Based on the couple of times I've seen him previously, I'll be surprised if the atmosphere in the field is anything but electric.

The only thing potentially stopping it is people turning up and actively wanting to have a shit time. Similar to some of the crowd criticisms I've read on here about Kanye's set.

1 minute ago, Hawros said:

They sold out 3 nights at Wembley Arena, and as our Canadian friend says, was a fantastic show.

I'm not sure they sold it out, some pals got tickets for one of the shows the very afternoon I was sat there gushing to them about how good the night before had been. Still, the mere fact they warranted 3 nights has got to count for something.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hawros said:

RE: Arcade Fire.

Someone described them as shorting a fuse on EN, with all the political happenings atm it should have been prime for them, but managed to mess it up a little.

Huge fan here, and have faith they'll come back strongly. Loved the '14 set, but agree they might have been a one-off for now.

I didn’t enjoy the 14 set that much, thought it had too much ‘new stuff’ and that it was a bit flat. Went to Wembley last minute on the EN tour as someone pulled out and was not particularly bothered but their set and show blew me away, it was probably the best gig I went to last year

10 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'm not sure they sold it out, some pals got tickets for one of the shows the very afternoon I was sat there gushing to them about how good the night before had been. Still, the mere fact they warranted 3 nights has got to count for something.

Apols - might not have sold out some of the seats now iirc.

Was brave staging, and we were lucky to see them give it a trial run at the small shows the year before (York hall, Bethnal Green).

Up there with the nest of last year, we still talk about it. And we got Jarvis as the guest, which was a turn-up...

52 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Sorry for being too lazy to go through the thread, but has the Killers rumour got weight behind it, or is it based on bookies odds and guesses?

Personally, I think they are a good choice, due to their popularity and quality of their sets (though somewhat uninspiring, I've seen them around a dozen times)... But they're on that fine line of putting on a set that could be one people talk about in the future (especially with the musicians they could potentially bring out with them), but it could also just be very standard and people say "I got smashed and had fun"

Though I don't think there's any chance of them putting on a bad show.

Neil has had word it's The killers and the cure. Not confirmed though.

28 minutes ago, ConorC said:

The only thing potentially stopping it is people turning up and actively wanting to have a shit time. Similar to some of the crowd criticisms I've read on here about Kanye's set.

That was one of the most toxic crowds I've ever been in. I had people around me just shouting out horrific racial abuse; n-word, c-word, you name it. It was incredibly disheartening and lead to me getting in multiple shouting matches with people around me that almost resulted in full on fights. 

1 minute ago, 42hamlet said:

That was one of the most toxic crowds I've ever been in. I had people around me just shouting out horrific racial abuse; n-word, c-word, you name it. It was incredibly disheartening and lead to me getting in multiple shouting matches with people around me that almost resulted in full on fights. 

Jfc for real? That's horrific

19 minutes ago, Hawros said:

Was brave staging, and we were lucky to see them give it a trial run at the small shows the year before (York hall, Bethnal Green).

Up there with the nest of last year, we still talk about it. And we got Jarvis as the guest, which was a turn-up...

Yeah I was there on the Jarvis night, it was amazing seeing the wiry lad grinding away up there. Cherry on top for me.

Went to the Manchester show on the same run as that York Hall show, but they didn't do the boxing ring there, just yer normal festival stage. Was a decent gig but nothing exceptional, reckon that was to do with sight lines being poor, sound not being particularly loud and bit muddy, and the fact that the venue was a dirty ditch I have no affection for.

6 minutes ago, 42hamlet said:

Surprised by that.  We were about halfway back and the general vibe from most around us was that we were excited to see what Kanye did.  Most people were still up from Pharrell.  Everyone seemed to enjoy the first few tunes, but then there was something of an exodus as he began to struggle. 

6 minutes ago, 42hamlet said:

??? It really did bring out the worst in people, nasty undercurrent to a lot of the crowd in the build up, which is why I pushed as far forward as I could and luckily ended up in a spot of the crowd where everybody was there to have a good time and loved it. Sorry to hear you had to experience that.

Arcade Fire are going to be fine, can't imagine them not headlining main stage again at some point in the future. EN was their worst album imo but still had some great tracks, reflektor was a great album but too long, suburbs and funeral are up there with the best albums I've ever heard and neon Bible had some brilliant tracks too (no cars go, intervention, my body is a cage etc). Maybe they're in a slump but I think they are still going to be a huge name for the foreseeable future. Saw them at castlefield bowl 17' and it's best show I have ever seen, long may they continue