2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

7 hours ago, Odessa said:

My brother loves The Killers as well and went to Rock Werchter last year and said they weren't very good. Sounds like an off night, where some idiot who had no idea how to play drums asked to play drums and then obviously fucked it up and threw it all off a bit. Think Brandon ended up acting like a bit of a diva cos he was pissed off lol. They have someone from the crowd play drums on For Reasons Unknown at pretty much every gig these days and it's usually a cool moment for whoever has actually learned how to play the song, and it goes down really well.

I have seen them 5 times on the current tour and they were brilliant every time. And it does frustrate me a little bit how samey and obvious the setlists tend to be, but they have so many set staples because they have so many really popular songs that a LOT of casual music fans want to hear, and that will/would (I don't wanna get ahead of myself) suit a Glastonbury headline slot perfectly. It's a shame that I don't get to hear the likes of On Top or Losing Touch, which are better than yr Mr Brightsides, but The Killers are still as big as they are because Brandon Flowers is such a crowd pleaser. 

A lot of people on here absolutely cannot take personal opinion out of the equation when deciding who is/isn't a headliner. You can't claim that this is a weak booking after you had no issue with Radiohead being booked, who are undeniably inferior in terms of the number of well known songs, and the crowd they would pull, and also equally if not more past their prime. (That isn't to say the Radiohead set wasn't great, it was, 2nd best all weekend behind that secret set in the JP tent.)

There's clearly gonna be someone else sick on at the same time anyway so who even cares. 

UTSK

They did the drums thing when I saw them in Paris too, and it was a decent gig in all but that moment was very cringeworthy. Worst of all is that nobody else seemed to agree

2 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Which bit is wrong? 

I think the past their prime bit sticks out. 

Radiohead have three albums that are often listed amongst the best ever, one as recent as 2007, and a bunch of other albums that are largely thought of as being brilliant also. Still releasing acclaimed albums to this day - they’re just not ‘best ever’ material, a tough achievement. 

The Killers have half an album of singles from 2004, and then some scattered singles since, although their last two albums have essentially been farts in the wind that made little to no impact. 

Both bands are essentially riding on their former glories to a point like most headliner sized acts are, but it’s dumb to argue that The Killers haven’t been riding off the coat tails of half an album for fifteen years now. 

Also, Radiohead were 100% one of the festivals first options for 2017. If The Killers are headlining then they’re almost certainly either a replacement for somebody pulling out, or a panic booking as there’s fuck all else to choose from this year (which I think The Cure probably are as well).

It’s all a moot point anyway though ‘cause The Killers aren’t headlining Glastonbury 2019.

(I realise as a Radiohead fanboy debating with a Killers fanboy that this could go back and forth on and on and I’m largely bias as you are, but I had to say my piece :P)

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, chatty said:

Now seems like a good time to have a rant tbf. I used to hate The Killers and basically they stopped getting on my nerves because of how irrelevant they became yet somehow the c**ts have managed to push themselves into the mix for headlining a major festivalnin 2019. The mind boggles. 

Calling the band The Killers and having a lead singer called Brandan Flowers ffs. The only killing these lot do is is the killing of brainwaves when you listen to their music. 

Are we human or are we dancer? 

That doesnt even make sense you spazzy pretencious w*nker. Shit lyrics by a shit writer sang by a shit singer in a shit band. Shit song, shit album. 

From all the bands that came out around 2000-2005 how come these w*nkstains of humanity are still in some sort of prime position, they should have been bottled out of the first pub they played as teenagers and that would have been the end of it. Humanity spared some atroucious crap for a couple of decades. Job done. 

But no, people started getting some sort of conscience around that time period. What has beeing nice got us? 

Say what you will about KOL but at least they had three decent albums before they went ro shit, three more than The Fucking Killers. 

KOL would be shite headliners in 2019 but if they played one song from. Their forat three albums then they would at least play a set better than The Killers by one song. 

Fuck my life.

I guess it could have been Kaiser Chiefs. Being stuck with the second worse band is still better than being stuck with the first. 

Someone’s trying a little too hard.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Also, Radiohead were 100% one of the festivals first options for 2017. If The Killers are headlining then they’re almost certainly either a replacement for somebody pulling out, or a panic booking as there’s fuck all else to choose from this year (which I think The Cure probably are as well).

The Killers played a secret set in 2017 probs an indication they were set to healdline the next fest. Also they'll likely get a bigger crowd than Radiohead did.

1 minute ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

The Killers played a secret set in 2017 probs an indication they were set to healdline the next fest. Also they'll likely get a bigger crowd than Radiohead did.

I don’t see it that way. If anything, them headlining this year makes that 2017 much less special, and I feel like they were called in as a ‘shit, we’ve got no headliner, but we’re on good terms with The Killers so let’s get em booked’ rather than immediately post-2017.

Obviously they’ll get a bigger crowd than Radiohead because they’re a big people pleaser, but when has Glastonbury ever been about just that? With Glastonbury headliners you want a set for the ages that will be spoken about for years. The Killers did that in 2017 due to the nature of the intimate setting. This years set will be mediocre at best and forgotten about come Monday.

11 hours ago, Glastocat said:

How would it of went down if they were headlining last year before they played that secret set? My guess is it would be a lot worse than now. So basically they are getting this gig primarily off the back of their performance as special guests at the last Glastonbury.

I'm not sure about this logic...surely it would have gone down better if they hadn't have played that secret set last year? From where I was standing (which was failing to get anywhere nearly as close to Frank Carter as I wanted due to the all the Killers fans looking bored in front of me) it seemed the Killers were pretty popular before their set started, or even indeed before old Frank came on. Also I went with two friends to see them in September 2017, and the tickets sold out pretty sharpish as I recall. To me, this indicates that they would have been well received as a headliner before, but it just feels a little boring to have them headlining the following Glastonbury. I am pretty sure my friend told me in the week following Glasto 2017 that she'd heard they were in the running to headline. 

As I side note though, I may well be super biased because I found their set in September 2017 in Sheffield to be exceptionally dull....so maybe this opinion is purely my own opinion, which is that I always thought I would have loved to see the Killers until I actually saw the Killers (don't ask why I left the JP immediately after Frank Carter...it's a long story)

10 hours ago, chatty said:

The one saving grace is that people will piss on the land less. Theyll instead piss in bottles that they can throw at The Killers instead. 

Hahaha I mean....surely they would have been throwing piss at them in the JP if they were going to do it at all?

9 hours ago, chatty said:

Youll not be happy if your ears start to work and you start to melt due to the soundwaves of death hitting you. Deafness can be a great affliction in times like these, think yourself lucky. 

I kind of think this sort of rant highlights how amazing rants can be. The hyperbole is reaching some pretty dizzy heights even for on here :lol: Rant on my friend, rant on. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Obviously they’ll get a bigger crowd than Radiohead because they’re a big people pleaser, but when has Glastonbury ever been about just that? With Glastonbury headliners you want a set for the ages that will be spoken about for years. The Killers did that in 2017 due to the nature of the intimate setting. This years set will be mediocre at best and forgotten about come Monday.

I think this sums it up.

The Killers will undoubtedly have a field of people singing along to their biggest boppers, but that’s where it ends. 

None of the 3 headliners are are going to be spoken about in the same way we chat about seminal sets from Blur, Pulp, The Stones and Radiohead (first time around). 

#yearoftheundercard

9 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Hey Ya! Outkast

This most definitely did not deserve a downvote, and, as someone who started her undergrad in 2003, I wholeheartedly agree. I think* in my first year flat we even had a dance we used to do to the "shake it" bit ?

*When I say "think", I quite clearly mean "know"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

This most definitely did not deserve a downvote, and, as someone who started her undergrad in 2003, I wholeheartedly agree. I think* in my first year flat we even had a dance we used to do to the "shake it" bit ?

Video! We need video!

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I don’t see it that way. If anything, them headlining this year makes that 2017 much less special, and I feel like they were called in as a ‘shit, we’ve got no headliner, but we’re on good terms with The Killers so let’s get em booked’ rather than immediately post-2017.

In terms of Pyramid headliners plenty of them are just big people pleasers. Muse, Adele Coldplay healdined the other year. Ed sheeran has headlined that sums it up to be fair. I disagree about it not being memorable, they're a dead good live band and will go down very well.

Just now, didinowanttohearthat said:

In terms of Pyramid headliners plenty of them are just big people pleasers. Muse, Adele Coldplay healdined the other year. Ed sheeran has headlined that sums it up to be fair. I disagree about it not being memorable, they're a dead good live band and will go down very well.

Wasn't regarded well last time they headlined, to be fair.

11 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Haha we did this in our flat too. Prior to that we enjoyed a bit of bad boy for life.

Shudder

This was 100% lined up in connection to their secret set. Obviously if that set didnt go down well then this slot wouldnt be happening. 

The only pyramid headliner I'm considering attending is the cure, but the killers are the strongest headliner out of the 3. They're an uninspired booking and pretty much everyone who has wanted to see them has at this point. 

I give this booking 2 shrugs out of 5 on my newly formed shrug scale. 

1Jy4.gif

• Upvote 7