2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

The sort of people who go to Glastonbury are the sort of people whose favourite band is The Killers.

Yep. Have to say though, when I saw them before in their prime I thought they’d be great but it sounded flat and soulless. One of the most disappointing gigs I’ve been to, cos I love the songs...happy to give them another go. 

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

Its ok everyone, just go and see someone else when they're on. 

Agreed, saw them on at the john peel in 2017 and they played a really good set with all the sing along songs. but now they might've been booked for 2019 it'll take the specialness of the 2017 set away. bit annoying tbh will most likely be somewhere else

2 minutes ago, Green.flash said:

Thought it would be the Killers after 2017, and it wil unite our group to be fair. Snobbism aside I think it’s pretty decent booking. Universally popular except on here (and I have a lot of love for here). As a group we’d see them above most of those mentioned except probably Madonna and FM. 

No snobbishness here mate, I don't mind the killers, I just don't feel they are a particularly strong headliner taking into consideration the other two (if correct). How would it of went down if they were headlining last year before they played that secret set? My guess is it would be a lot worse than now. So basically they are getting this gig primarily off the back of their performance as special guests at the last Glastonbury.

If you add an act like Macca to any of the three mooted to headline it would look better but those three together look kind of weak to me.

7 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Does with Killers. Neither are at their peak.

Yeah, but the KOL aren't being talked about as headliners in 2019 so the comparison isn't really relevant.

Or are you suggesting the KOL are in with a chance still? That would put the cat amongst the pigeons.?

10 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Does with Killers. Neither are at their peak.

It would only work if KOL were also headlining (or perceived to be anyway). They arent though so you gotta go back to the last time they did for a comparison on how good a headliner they make. 

1 minute ago, H.M.V said:

Forgive me if this has been linked already but came up in my feed. Also had the Somerset live but can't see it now. 

https://www.radiox.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/the-cure-killers-tipped-complete-2019-headliners/

Unusual comments from The Cure, has that been reported previously?

3 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Genuine question about odds... they're listed at 

The Cure - 2/5

The Killers - 8/22

The Strokes - 100/30

Can someone tell me why it's not reduced to the lowest possible denominator or whatever that math term is, like 

The Cure - 2/5

The Killers - 4/11

The Strokes - 10/3

Something to do with avoiding mixing odds up with times I think.

13 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

Yeah, but the KOL aren't being talked about as headliners in 2019 so the comparison isn't really relevant.

Or are you suggesting the KOL are in with a chance still? That would put the cat amongst the pigeons.?

Haha nah just pulled it up out of interest. Isn't at all relevent, that's the point, I guess.

14 minutes ago, chatty said:

It would only work if KOL were also headlining (or perceived to be anyway). They arent though so you gotta go back to the last time they did for a comparison on how good a headliner they make. 

Just an insight into how varied these things can be. People talk about big enough, relevent enough, chart positions etc but really it's circumstantial. And as mentioned above, rarely relevent.

41 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

It's going to be really interesting who headlines the other big stages around the festival this year. If they are popular it could be record low numbers at the pyramid. Then again, perhaps, I'm totally misjudging it and talking shite and this set of headliners are far more popular than I'm giving them credit for.

The Killers will have the biggest crowd of the festival.

Edited by Half Man Half Mattress

Now seems like a good time to have a rant tbf. I used to hate The Killers and basically they stopped getting on my nerves because of how irrelevant they became yet somehow the c**ts have managed to push themselves into the mix for headlining a major festivalnin 2019. The mind boggles. 

Calling the band The Killers and having a lead singer called Brandan Flowers ffs. The only killing these lot do is is the killing of brainwaves when you listen to their music. 

Are we human or are we dancer? 

That doesnt even make sense you spazzy pretencious w*nker. Shit lyrics by a shit writer sang by a shit singer in a shit band. Shit song, shit album. 

From all the bands that came out around 2000-2005 how come these w*nkstains of humanity are still in some sort of prime position, they should have been bottled out of the first pub they played as teenagers and that would have been the end of it. Humanity spared some atroucious crap for a couple of decades. Job done. 

But no, people started getting some sort of conscience around that time period. What has beeing nice got us? 

Say what you will about KOL but at least they had three decent albums before they went ro shit, three more than The Fucking Killers. 

KOL would be shite headliners in 2019 but if they played one song from. Their forat three albums then they would at least play a set better than The Killers by one song. 

Fuck my life.

I guess it could have been Kaiser Chiefs. Being stuck with the second worse band is still better than being stuck with the first. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

21 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Genuine question about odds... they're listed at 

The Cure - 2/5

The Killers - 8/22

The Strokes - 100/30

Can someone tell me why it's not reduced to the lowest possible denominator or whatever that math term is, like 

The Cure - 2/5

The Killers - 4/11

The Strokes - 10/3

It's to do with custom or tradition from pre decimalisation I believe. Moving towards decimals now though.

5 minutes ago, chatty said:

Now seems like a good time to have a rant tbf. I used to hate The Killers and basically they stopped getting on my nerves because of how irrelevant they became yet somehow the c**ts have managed to push themselves into the mix for headlining a major festivalnin 2019. The mind boggles. 

Calling the band The Killers and having a lead singer called Brandan Flowers ffs. The only killing these lot do is is the killing of brainwaves when you listen to their music. 

Are we human or are we dancer? 

That doesnt even make sense you spazzy pretencious w*nker. Shit lyrics by a shit writer sang by a shit singer in a shit band. Shit song, shit album. 

From all the bands that came out around 2000-2005 how come these w*nkstains of humanity are still in some sort of prime position, they should have been bottled out of the first pub they played as teenagers and that would have been the end of it. Humanity spared some atroucious crap for a couple of decades. Job done. 

But no, people started getting some sort of conscience around that time period. What has beeing nice got us? 

Say what you will about KOL but at least they had three decent albums before they went ro shit, three more than The Fucking Killers. 

KOL would be shite headliners in 2019 but if they played one song from. Their forat three albums then they would at least play a set better than The Killers by one song. 

Fuck my life.

I guess it could have been Kaiser Chiefs. Being stuck with the second worse band is still better than being stuck with the first. 

Someone’s tired 

47 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

No snobbishness here mate, I don't mind the killers, I just don't feel they are a particularly strong headliner taking into consideration the other two (if correct). How would it of went down if they were headlining last year before they played that secret set? My guess is it would be a lot worse than now. So basically they are getting this gig primarily off the back of their performance as special guests at the last Glastonbury.

If you add an act like Macca to any of the three mooted to headline it would look better but those three together look kind of weak to me.

It might have been part of the deal, they were a big success last time (I saw chic). 

I agree their not as strong as those three we’ve mentioned, but there’s not been much serious chance (only dreams) the they’ve been on the cards. So as a generally poplar, crowd unifying headliner I’m happy above most of the other options (as summarised by dental, I think, above). 

Ususl rules about other stages apply.