2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Just now, sisco said:

Because Glastonbury is now a massive brand and having someone that looks amazing on tv keeps everyone talking about it and relevant.

And that's The Killers, in 2019?

Someone who looks ace on tv will look ace because they're being a fantastic headliner putting on a cracking show. I'm just not convinced the pool of acts are being considered based on how they'll look on telly.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I bet they've sold more than KOL, Jay-Z and The Verve had done.

KOL were only on album #3 by that point and I doubt any of them did massive numbers.

Jay-Z's Black Album sold well, but did any of his others?

Urban Hymns was obviously massive but the others weren't. 

By comparison Hot Fuzz sold an absolute shitload, and I bet (without checking) all their other 4/5 albums went to number one. Gang Signs and Prayers may be Stormzy's only album but it probably sold pretty well. The Cure have been going for 40 years, I bet they've shifted a fair few in that time.

Kings of Leon in the 10 years prior to that have sold several times more than the Killers have in the last 10 now (unless they've made up a monumental gap with sales of old albums). They've also sold more the Killers in the UK in their careers overall, if you're interested. Those 2008 headliners were a pretty big deal at the time, the end of the Verve and the decline in popularity (and output) of KoL and Jay-Z just makes it look much weaker than it was.

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I bet they've sold more than KOL, Jay-Z and The Verve had done.

KOL were only on album #3 by that point and I doubt any of them did massive numbers.

Jay-Z's Black Album sold well, but did any of his others?

Urban Hymns was obviously massive but the others weren't. 

By comparison Hot Fuzz sold an absolute shitload, and I bet (without checking) all their other 4/5 albums went to number one. Gang Signs and Prayers may be Stormzy's only album but it probably sold pretty well. The Cure have been going for 40 years, I bet they've shifted a fair few in that time.

I was talking specifically about in the run up to the festival tbf.  A quick wiki check suggests that KOL's third album shifted 900k copies in the UK, which looks to be around the same as Stormzy, The Cure and The Killers new albums have sold in the last 10 years combined.

Its difficult to get exact figures, and is a wee bit harsh on Stormzy as its accepted that he is being pushed forward by the festival.  The Killers in 2019 are what the Verve were in 2008.  Except the Verve had the cache of being reformed.

1 hour ago, The Spandex Warrior said:

It's an absolute abomination of an album. Critics love it cos they get to use long words when reviewing it, but to any other person with working ears it's complete toss.

I agree. Very patchy. There are some shockingly weak tracks on there. It's not 'complex' 'subtle' or 'a grower'. It's just the sound of someone who's got terrible writer's block but is too stuck up his own arse to notice. 

I'd put it in the same bracket as 'The good the bad and the queen'. Even weaker songs on that drivel. Critics convince themselves it's good as they are afraid to look 'stupid'. 

And as for people banging on about Hot Fuzz is the only good thing.. The Killers have released massive, bigger selling albums since then and sold out Wembley stadium. They are an obvious choice with the options available.  

Edited by danbailey80

9 minutes ago, Badlands said:

And that's The Killers, in 2019?

Someone who looks ace on tv will look ace because they're being a fantastic headliner putting on a cracking show. I'm just not convinced the pool of acts are being considered based on how they'll look on telly.

You genuinely think the general public would lap up a great headline set from say Nick Cave as much as a average Killers set?

2 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

I agree. Very patchy. There are some shockingly weak tracks on there. It's not 'complex' 'subtle' or 'a grower'. It's just the sound of someone who's got terrible writer's block but is too stuck up his own arse to notice. 

I'd put it in the same bracket as 'The good the bad and the queen'. Even weaker songs on that drivel. Critics convince themselves it's good as they are afraid to look 'stupid'. 

Those two were probably in my top 10 AOTY for 18.....

I don't think The Cure is that bad of a choice at all. I think a lot of people on here underrate them. One of the most important alternative bands, very influential. Popular with many generations; you've got the older folks that grew up with them and there are plenty of young fans too. Hell, I know a lot of people that got into them as teens in the noughties; usually their path of music discovery started with modern indie, and then progressed onto The Smiths, The Cure, etc. Pretty much everyone that cares about music knows The Cure.

Killers is a bit boring though. I like them but they've played so much in the past few years, feel like everyone that wants to see them has probably done so already

16 minutes ago, Username taken said:

I was talking specifically about in the run up to the festival tbf.  A quick wiki check suggests that KOL's third album shifted 900k copies in the UK, which looks to be around the same as Stormzy, The Cure and The Killers new albums have sold in the last 10 years combined.

Its difficult to get exact figures, and is a wee bit harsh on Stormzy as its accepted that he is being pushed forward by the festival.  The Killers in 2019 are what the Verve were in 2008.  Except the Verve had the cache of being reformed.

Who buys albums these days though?

The Killers - 12,679,004 monthly listeners on Spotify. 320,655 in London.

KOL - 8,392,611 monthly listeners. 217,154 in London.

In comparison...

Stormzy - 2,879,123 monthly listeners. 233,500 in London.

The Cure - 6,970,609 monthly listeners. 156,698 in London.

Edited by jyoung

9 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Who buys albums these days though?

I'm not saying its any barometer of quality.  More an observation about the perceived 'size' of the headliners.  Over the last few years, whether you like their output or not, the likes of Coldplay, Kanye, Adele and Sheeran were megastars and amongst the biggest acts in the world when they headlined.

It was just an observation!

Bugger. Had money on Madonna and Gaga.

Fairly uninspired by the prospect of Stormzy, Killers, Cure though will prob go Killers for the craic. 

And certainly don’t think those are TV friendly choices. They each have a few TV friendly songs, but a Madge or a Gaga or a proper classic rock act would be far more TV friendly all round. So not hugely sure those arguments stack up. 

But as someone said, once inside the gates won’t give a slightest fuck who’s headlining ?‍♂️