2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'll say this for the sideways looking dog - it's not attending a festival headlined by a band fronted by a minor Tolkien gnome singing songs about its cage.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I fear you may have ran this into the ground...

I agree.

Although if you'd said a minor Tolkien elf, it would have worked.

After spending much of the day sulking about this new revelation, I’ve decided that I’m gonna treat it much like The Strokes goss and believe it’s a load of bollocks until proven differently. 

The Killers headlining reeks of a Macca replacement through and through so maybe that’s exaclty what’s happened, but that trio just doesn’t sit right with me as a set of Glastonbury headliners, even in a year where good ones seem to be scarce.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

After spending much of the day sulking about this new revelation, I’ve decided that I’m gonna treat it much like The Strokes goss and believe it’s a load of bollocks until proven differently. 

The Killers headlining reeks of a Macca replacement through and through so maybe that’s exaclty what’s happened, but that trio just doesn’t sit right with me as a set of Glastonbury headliners, even in a year where good ones seem to be scarce.

I know this may be hard to quantify.  But I would be surprised if there's a trio of headliners that have sold fewer albums in the UK in the years running up to the festival

13 minutes ago, Username taken said:

I know this may be hard to quantify.  But I would be surprised if there's a trio of headliners that have sold fewer albums in the UK in the years running up to the festival

I bet they've sold more than KOL, Jay-Z and The Verve had done.

KOL were only on album #3 by that point and I doubt any of them did massive numbers.

Jay-Z's Black Album sold well, but did any of his others?

Urban Hymns was obviously massive but the others weren't. 

By comparison Hot Fuzz sold an absolute shitload, and I bet (without checking) all their other 4/5 albums went to number one. Gang Signs and Prayers may be Stormzy's only album but it probably sold pretty well. The Cure have been going for 40 years, I bet they've shifted a fair few in that time.

Edited by Hugh Jass

The weakest pyramid booking since Skunk Anansie?. There's a lot of talk about the 08 headliners but The Verve had hardly played any dates and KOL were stepping up.  Kasabian, Arcade Fire and Metallica hadn't headlined before. Muse 16 were still selling out stadiums and while The Who 15 was hardly a brave booking, they've the history. Must be  scared to push another act up with Stormzy. 

Stormzy is a new exciting booking

The Killers are a band that have the singalong songs to look great for the tv audience and will have the biggest headline crowd of the weekend

The Cure are again massive, are headlining everywhere and are a little different

Yes it’s not the most inspired, and I suppose on paper looks weak compared to previous years but sometimes you can’t just pluck headline sized bands out of nowhere.  Looking across all the UK festivals this year there isn’t exactly a massive pool to choose from:

NGHFB

Florence

Foo Fighters

The 1975

Post Malone

Biffy Clyro 

George Ezra

The Streets

Lauren Hill

Glastonbury have had the majority of them in headline/lower positions.  Maybe it’s just not a vintage year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Badlands said:

Why do people keep talking about acts that look great for a tv audience? I fail to be convinced that's even a factor. 

Even if it was a key factor, no c**t's going to spend their Saturday night watching edited highlights of Hot Fuss run through for the umpteenth time.  

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Why do people keep talking about acts that look great for a tv audience? I fail to be convinced that's even a factor. 

Because Glastonbury is now a massive brand and having someone that looks amazing on tv keeps everyone talking about it and relevant. 

I know people will always say but glastonbury doesn’t need the publicity etc... but it’s still important that it remains a visual spectacle for the non goers to see..... IMO of course