2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

54 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Yes it isn't the strongest set of headliners but in a year where others have George Ezra or a fucking Gallagher brother we could be doing worse 

Glasto shouldn’t have to resort to that level. Had a couple years with which to plan. Either someone bailed or they fucked it up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

No idea if they're a replacement.

And yep, I can see how what you say might work, although I'm leaning more the other way, that they were probably signed up to headline after playing in 2017. It seems to make sense.

So maybe that macca info was always duff? I dunno.

Well they are a great act and always but on a good show with massive sing along songs so they are a safe booking. Not going to lie though I am sick of seeing them (even though unless someone i like is on another stage ill be watching them again). They seem to headline every festival every year... Like you could automatically put them as a strong rumour every year for any festival :) 

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Glasto shouldn’t have to resort to that level. Had a couple years with which to plan. Either someone bailed or they fucked it up. 

Agree.

At least following the last fallow year we got the Stones!

Having looked at it Arctic Monkeys headlined post fallow year the last two times... 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

Although it's disappointing not to have a stand out headliner this year, I feel the rest of the lineup this year is going to be so stacked that it won't matter. Tiny percentage of the overall festival experience is in the headliner.

Yeah thats what im holding out hope for! Stacked lineup...

Vampire Weekend, Foals, Friendly Fires, Wu Tang, The Streets, Bastille, Tame Impala, Lumineers, Rudimental, Chvrches.... some of the ones im holding out hope for. 

Quite pleased that The Killers are now in the running once more. Bit of a casual fan, loved Hot Fuss but never really got into anything after that. However, seen them live a couple of times over the past year and loved them. Not enough to go back and listen to them in my own time, but they do put on a decent gig.

Is there a band that has oversaturated the festival scene in the last 15 years as much as the killers? Even when they went on hiatus Brandon toured his solo albums. Man can't stay away. They're a band that deserve a second headline slot; one of the biggest bands this century in the UK and potentially could have been one of the most exciting if they didn't play everything they got offered. Go down a treat though like they did @ TRNSMT last year 

• Upvote 1

Just caught up on 18 pages of this thread. What a rollercoaster. Started with ‘nuff hype after Neil’s emoji, then resulted in an ungrateful, self-entitled hmph when two of the dullest acts I can think of headlining were suggested, then schooled by the wisdom of eFests about being a selfish, shortsighted sort. I’ve no idea after all if that if I’m a culchie or not. I fear I probably am. 

So in a nutshell: bollocks, but oh well. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'll say this for The Killers - they've done well for a band fronted by Johnny Cab from Total Recall

The worst possible act the festival could have booked, but fair play to him for travelling here from Mars or wherever it was.

Amongst your finest work.

38 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I’ll go and I’ll have a great time, thanks though.

I rarely see the headliners anyway. Although I’ll not deny I wanted Macca.

It’s much more about Glastonbury’s perceived status in the festival hierarchy, especially with International acts. If they’re looking to the future and you’re trying to book acts who don’t know the size and scale and history of the festival, there’s a danger you approach someone and they see it as a Killers size festival. And then it down.

I genuinely don't think a year of average headliners is going to damage the festival's reputation that much, particularly in a year where everyone in Europe's headliners look ropey.