2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

On 2/8/2019 at 6:55 AM, dentalplan said:

Yes this must be the biggest blow. If it was a few years later or earlier and he played as many new songs, it wouldn’t have gone down nearly as badly.

On 2/8/2019 at 6:15 AM, The Nal said:

Neil played 4 songs from Harvest. A 1/4 of the setlist. Played Everybody Knows, Down by the River, Cinnamon Girl, Free World, Hey Hey etc. Bangers everywhere. 

Bruce played his standard tour set which unfortunately was the tour of his worst album ever. I enjoyed it but he understandably lost a lot of people playing Coma Girl, Prove it all night, Lucky Day, Outlaw Pete, Working on a Dream, Seeds, Johnny 99 and Raise Your Hand in the first hour or so. Even hardcore Bruce fans lose interest there. 

Bruce's set still a fave of mine at Glasto despite the tepid response it still gets on here, but I concur with both of these above. He's as fave as an artist I have and I'm mere feet from the barrier at my favorite field on the planet. It's sort of like taking a new partner to see your parents for first time though, and you tell him/her NOT to do that 'Outlaw Pete' thing especially soon after you meet them. Still, it's a set that I enjoyed and will always remember, the cameo in Gaslight set earlier a nice extra, even if both now seem like a mere rehearsal for the filmed Hyde Park set the next day. 

I listed to a lot of Bruce, usually trying to mix it up with different albums, different live sets from the past, but I can't remember last time I played 'Working on A Dream' as an album, or went seeking for any tracks from it. Even on the E-Fests forums the timing was awful, I remember Neil 'introducing himself' to Bruce through the new album and Outlaw Pete became a topic on here months prior to his set

Did any of you see the recent pics of Nils Lofgren jamming with Neil as part of the Crazy Horse shows in Winnipeg? 

(edited...I meant 'not' to do it)

Edited by tevaburger

23 hours ago, Wooderson said:

The 2012 summer tour arguably as good as the early 1980s. A bummer for the G.

10 hours ago, Wooderson said:

No doubt. The July ‘12 shows particularly will go down as the best of his later career. 

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

2013?

Think I saw him at a rainy Hyde Park in 2012 (the gig where Macca came on and they pulled the plug) but it seemed to be the following year when he'd built up the biggest head of steam.

I was at the Hyde Park gig w/ Macca too. Little Steven says that was one of their best ever. 

2012, 2013, I think it's a longer late splurge of brilliance. His Summer/August, early Sept finale 2016 is up there with his best. You should buy his 3 NJ shows late August 2016 and play one each over 3 nights. great stuff, I made it to the 3rd/finale, was away on holidays the first 2. 

Loving the positive Bruce chat.

Would love him getting another chance to headline with how great his shows have been since 2012ish.

Can't pick my favourite time seeing him between The River Glasgow show a few years back, Wembley 2013 (Darkness On The Edge Of Town played in full) and Belfast the same summer (ridiculously warm, nice venue and a Nebraska heavy set which I was loving)

A set of hits from his first 6-7 albums, with a few from The Rising, Magic and maybe Wrecking Ball would be a perfect headline show for me.

Saying that, I am in full on fantasy booking mode now and don't think it'll ever happen!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tevaburger said:

I was at the Hyde Park gig w/ Macca too. Little Steven says that was one of their best ever. 

2012, 2013, I think it's a longer late splurge of brilliance. His Summer/August, early Sept finale 2016 is up there with his best. You should buy his 3 NJ shows late August 2016 and play one each over 3 nights. great stuff, I made it to the 3rd/finale, was away on holidays the first 2. 

I’ve got those 3 shows yep. Deffo a high watermark but July ‘12 was sustained brilliance.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Employer's show at Hampden 3 years back might actually have been my favourite, when he bust out Rosie and Sandy one after another within the first 20 minutes.

I don’t like gigs at Hampden apart from the Springsteen’s two Shows I’ve seen. They were terrific. 

3 hours ago, tevaburger said:

Bruce's set still a fave of mine at Glasto despite the tepid response it still gets on here, but I concur with both of these above. He's as fave as an artist I have and I'm mere feet from the barrier at my favorite field on the planet. It's sort of like taking a new partner to see your parents for first time though, and you tell him/her NOT to do that 'Outlaw Pete' thing especially soon after you meet them. Still, it's a set that I enjoyed and will always remember, the cameo in Gaslight set earlier a nice extra, even if both now seem like a mere rehearsal for the filmed Hyde Park set the next day. 

I listed to a lot of Bruce, usually trying to mix it up with different albums, different live sets from the past, but I can't remember last time I played 'Working on A Dream' as an album, or went seeking for any tracks from it. Even on the E-Fests forums the timing was awful, I remember Neil 'introducing himself' to Bruce through the new album and Outlaw Pete became a topic on here months prior to his set

Did any of you see the recent pics of Nils Lofgren jamming with Neil as part of the Crazy Horse shows in Winnipeg? 

(edited...I meant 'not' to do it)

I got heavily into Springsteen a year or so before 09 based on how much my parents like him; then suddenly him and Blur are headlining and it made me go to my first Glastonbury...to this day they're still two of my favourite headliners. I was 10 rows from the front for easily the biggest and most iconic artist I'd seen at that point. Incredible set. Doves, Springsteen, Blur. A lineup I can only dream of this year....

Edited by efcfanwirral

48 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Do you like anything outside of Scotland?

Ha ha, yes of course I do! Glasto, iow , download, Hyde park etc but thankfully most top bands include Glasgow hydro or a stadium in their schedules. So obviously it makes sense for us to see them there. Usually there’s many folk from the north of England travel up to Glasgow for gigs. But nothing, absolutely nothing can compare with the 5 days at the end of June in a Somerset field! Check out the two photos I just posted on the glasto images thread!

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

6 hours ago, tevaburger said:

I have seen Bruce in a number of locations, IOW, Werchter arena, Emirates, but the 2013 set at the Olympic Park was fantastic, Born in the USA was done in full, not my favourite album, but a beautiful summers evening in the Olympic Park a year after the olympics, sun going down over the velodrome. One downside was he did not do Thunder Road.

17 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Each to their own mate. Pisser for you that you didn’t enjoy.

09 delivered for me in spades.

I'm just bitter because I got some bad drugs, ended up running around the site in circles all Friday+Saturday night then was so Ill I didn't get to see Blur.

Good job I didn't do the same thing in 2010 and miss Stevie Wonder.