2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

9 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Has Madonna at any point in the last 2 decades produced this mythical bangerfest greatest hits set or does she always stank it up with medleys and new songs that nobody wants to hear?

I'm not a fan but would definitely be interested if I'm guaranteed wall to wall hits but my impression is that's not on the cards.

Obviously I haven’t seen every setlist she’s ever done but looking back at random tour dates from her last two decades of album tours it looks like she’s always favoured playing heavily from her new album and then one or two songs from a selection of her previous albums. Obviously sometimes that’s not too bad (Ray of Light tour) but if we’re gonna assume a new album from her is gonn be as trend following/poor as her previous few have then it’s not promising, especially for a festival.

But then, she’s never(?) headlined a festival, so who’s to say what she would do given the occasion. Have their been many headliners who have missed the mark so spectacularly setlist wise?

7 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Has Madonna at any point in the last 2 decades produced this mythical bangerfest greatest hits set or does she always stank it up with medleys and new songs that nobody wants to hear?

I'm not a fan but would definitely be interested if I'm guaranteed wall to wall hits but my impression is that's not on the cards.

I’d say that the majority of your artists that aren’t guitar based  tend to snip the hits on their tours nowadays. No real evidence other than anecdotal on this mind but thinking back at headliners I’ve watched recently and chat on here you can count Kylie, Madge, Bey, Eminem, The Weeknd, Kanye and Gaga.

The fact that most hits these days include features of artists who probably aren’t gonna be onstage performing the song doesn’t help.

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

I’d say that the majority of your artists that aren’t guitar based  tend to snip the hits on their tours nowadays. No real evidence other than anecdotal on this mind but thinking back at headliners I’ve watched recently and chat on here you can count Kylie, Madge, Bey, Eminem, The Weeknd, Kanye and Gaga.

The fact that most hits these days include features of artists who probably aren’t gonna be onstage performing the song doesn’t help.

Kanye did pretty much all the hits at G15 tbf. Flashing Lights, Through The Wire and maybe Love Lockdown are the only other hits I can think of that he left out

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kanye-west/2015/worthy-farm-pilton-england-4bc953de.html

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Kanye did pretty much all the hits at G15 tbf. Flashing Lights, Through The Wire and maybe Love Lockdown are the only other hits I can think of that he left out

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kanye-west/2015/worthy-farm-pilton-england-4bc953de.html

the year i didn't get tickets, still haunts me.

it looked insane

The Cure have announced 22 festivals as they have announced Fuji Rock. Bobs Mob said around twenty, each one that’s announced I feel makes it less likely to be Glastonbury and The Cure on the pyramid is something I would be gutted about should it not happen.

If it doesn’t happen, I wonder the two...

15 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

The Cure have announced 22 festivals as they have announced Fuji Rock. Bobs Mob said around twenty, each one that’s announced I feel makes it less likely to be Glastonbury and The Cure on the pyramid is something I would be gutted about should it not happen.

If it doesn’t happen, I wonder the two...

reckon it's likely they've added a few extras to the schedule since he said 'about 20'. I wouldn't take that too literally.

16 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

the year i didn't get tickets, still haunts me.

it looked insane

Apart from the cruel summer bit, it was pretty amazing for any proper Kanye music fans. He did hold my liquor and lost in the world with Justin on stage ! Ah good times 

1 minute ago, TiZuff said:

Apart from the cruel summer bit, it was pretty amazing for any proper Kanye music fans. He did hold my liquor and lost in the world with Justin on stage ! Ah good times 

Cruel Summer stuff was great IMO. proper bangers. would have liked New God Flow too.

when he did those 3 Bon Iver/Vernon bits it completely killed the atmosphere and bored me to tears TBH. if Justin wants to warble for 15mins on the Pyramid stage he can save it for his own performance!

Just now, eFestivals said:

nah. It's either in their schedule or it isn't. 

And that aside, it would only really be UK shows that would count towards Glasto being less likely.

I see, to be honest not having one UK show (side from Summer Session) really implies they are doing something else, we have the gap. They probably are. 

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

If Madge plays she's doing the hits.

Has anyone ever headlined and not played their biggest songs?!

If Madge plays (and I’m far from convinced it’ll happen) we’ll get what we’re given, and it’ll be whatever set list she’s doing on that tour. That said, there will be hits, but it probably won’t be wall to wall hits - if previous tours are anything to go by. If she is there, I certainly hope Ray of Light comes back into favour.

Neil Young and Springsteen in 2009 both did similar. Yes, hits were played, but also lots of deeper cuts. Not ideal for a festival crowd though.

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

If Madge plays (and I’m far from convinced it’ll happen) we’ll get what we’re given, and it’ll be whatever set list she’s doing on that tour. That said, there will be hits, but it probably won’t be wall to wall hits - if previous tours are anything to go by. If she is there, I certainly hope Ray of Light comes back into favour.

Neil Young and Springsteen in 2009 both did similar. Yes, hits were played, but also lots of deeper cuts. Not ideal for a festival crowd though.

Springsteen didnt play a half-dozen tracks referencing "I'm The Boss, c**to" however. Fact his perf was a turkey notwithstanding.

5 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I thought Neil Young's set was brilliant. My first Glastonbury headliner and still one of my favourite sets. Agree re Springsteen, it was an ok set but considering it's duration a little light on material that would be familiar to an interested but not obsessive festival crowd.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

As a fan of both who wasn't there, Bruce's setlist - flawed as it was - still seems more obviously packed with bangers than Neil's was.

Neil went off like the clappers and finished with a fiendishly wild crescendo. Springsteen plodded through the first 90 mins and never really hit his usual standard skyhigh peak. Neil revelled in it. Bruce had an off night.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Neil went off like the clappers and finished with a fiendishly wild crescendo. Springsteen plodded through the first 90 mins and never really hit his usual standard skyhigh peak. Neil revelled in it. Bruce had an off night.

Fair comment I feel. Neil was having an absolute ball, I was quite taken aback by his lack of curmudgeonliness. It was a delight hearing Rocking In The Free World still being sung all over the site well into the early hours of Saturday morning. What a terrific day that was. 

• Upvote 1