2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, CJTM said:

Reason why Macca pulled out, or was he ever booked

ahh, I've no idea if he was ever booked or trying to be booked - tho that delay in filling his USA dates over Glasto weekend was definitely very suggestive.

With a bit of luck I might get to find out if it was ever on the cards somewhen (tho don't go holding your breath).

My take, going purely by what we know in terms of Neil's info, Macca's dates, the BST rumour and Emily's comments, is that they were at the very least talking to him and probably got as far as making an offer. Maybe the Eavii were hopeful/confident that it would be accepted but for whatever reason he didn't. Maybe Vegas made a better offer, maybe he simply didn't fancy coming back over here for a gig or two over two weeks and preferred to stay in the US all summer.

Edited by Hugh Jass

27 minutes ago, PDAD said:

Wolf Alice are headlining Truck festival end of July so they are about this summer. But yeah, it could be a one off.

From their instagram:

image.thumb.png.ac1c706cdd62b057ebc1667d488846b2.png

So far they only announced Truck Festival and Standon Calling, both of which they'll headline.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

ahh, I've no idea if he was ever booked or trying to be booked - tho that delay in filling his USA dates over Glasto weekend was definitely very suggestive.

With a bit of luck I might get to find out if it was ever on the cards somewhen (tho don't go holding your breath).

My pal in the biz who happens to be a big Macca fan said all along he reckoned there was always more US dates after the CA ones, that's the way his team markets it... altho I intended to not pay attention as I didn't want to hear it.

Just a big tease on our behalf tho :P

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Wasn't their last gig in Cardiff downgraded from the Milennium to the Cardiff City one?

Downgraded to the 7k capacity CIA - now the Motorpoint.

I saw them at the Millennium Stadium in 2005 and they’d put a huge black curtain across the middle of it, effectively halving the capacity. It wasn’t a downgrade, it was always planned that way and they did a few concerts there using that, but I don’t think they do now.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think it was at all tbf.

look at his twitter, they've been dripping out these gigs over several months. I'd imagine the Vegas gig has been booked a long time ago, acts of McCartney's size tend to begin planning and booking tour logistics over a year in advance.

GFL may well have been talking to him at some point, but I think the chances that he was ever "booked" and cancelled are almost nil. Simple explanation is that he had never signed up, never cancelled, and this gig was always planned. I can't see them signing a legally binding contract, presumably with financial implications/penalties of cancelling, and then suddenly realising that they're in the middle of a US tour and it makes better sense to play in Vegas a few days after playing down the road in Arizona.

e: And I see they've just recently added a date up the coast in Vancouver on 6th July, a week after Vegas/29th/Glasto weekend, which they would have had no reason to hold back if he was playing Glastonbury, and just further ties into the drip-feed of gigs.

Edited by ghostdancer1

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I don't think it was at all tbf.

look at his twitter, they've been dripping out these gigs over several months. I'd imagine the Vegas gig has been booked a long time ago, acts of McCartney's size tend to begin planning and booking tour logistics over a year in advance.

while dates might have dribbled out over time, they took a definite stop for a while with dates announced to just before Glasto.

it was definitely suggestive. Whether there was anything behind it is a different thing. :P 

4 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

GFL may well have been talking to him at some point, but I think the chances that he was ever "booked" and cancelled are almost nil.

oh, I don't think he was booked and cancelled.

My thinking is that if he was in the frame then they'd have been talking, but those talks didn't lead to an agreement for whatever reasons. 

I doubt many acts actually sign a contract then cancel - there are probably terms in the contract that stop them doing this apart from under certain specific circumstances (otherwise - legal consequences). Macca could have been negotiating his contract and not been happy with a certain part of it (not necessarily the fee) and chose to pull out of the negotiation before signing. I’m sure it happens frequently with the bigger stars.

Edited by Phoenix Girl
And when I say Macca, I mean his huge legal team

1 hour ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I doubt many acts actually sign a contract then cancel - there are probably terms in the contract that stop them doing this apart from under certain specific circumstances (otherwise - legal consequences). Macca could have been negotiating his contract and not been happy with a certain part of it (not necessarily the fee) and chose to pull out of the negotiation before signing. I’m sure it happens frequently with the bigger stars.

I’m studying contract law and I have no idea lol. My guess would be that he never signed the dotted line.

I imagine most “pull outs” in the conventional sense are when the band has not signed the dotted line. Pulling out of something when you’ve signed a contract is muddy waters. I need to go back to my books

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Let's not start raising people's hopes with talk of REM reunions, they've always struck me as a band who wouldn't do one. Stipe and co don't seem to be motivated by the money and they parted amicably so there's no real "unfinished business".

Don't get me wrong, if they did come back I'd be there with bells on.

The Michael Stipe interview from latter part of last year on Radio 2 stated pretty much the same i.e. no chance of a reunion

1 minute ago, crocodiles said:

Ignoring the wild speculation from 1975 to Fleetwood Mac gaga to Madge.  Surely we must be due some firm confirmations soon any ideas when or are we going to get a mad poster drop full of surprises 

I don't know if we will get any actual surprises though, feels like everybody and their dog has been discussed

3 minutes ago, crocodiles said:

Ignoring the wild speculation from 1975 to Fleetwood Mac gaga to Madge.  Surely we must be due some firm confirmations soon any ideas when or are we going to get a mad poster drop full of surprises 

28th or 29th March is my guess 

4 minutes ago, crocodiles said:

Usually end of March, beginning if April for the first poster. 

Edited by chatty

6 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Somewhere I heard Emily say that they were hoping to release the line up earlier than usual this year...

I assumed thats cos the big 3 must have been signed

6 hours ago, Bradders said:

That was a misunderstanding based on something she said in the interview with Lauren Laverne wasn’t it?

Remember some people thinking she’d said it’d be early but listening back she hadn’t?

265032784_giphy(9).gif.67f5cd318497bb41678094f476cf9b4b.gif

• Upvote 4