2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I can imagine some artists that were like...oh wow I didn't expect that offer, not yet anyway kind of thing may feel humbled by it so would say I'll do it for next to nothing kind of thing. 

Like above Coldplay I can imagine just doing for almost bugger all. 

Then Stormzy turns to his crew and staff: “Look guys, I know you have mortgages to pay and kids to feed but it’s just so humbling to play Glastonbury I said we’d do it for free. I assume you’re all cool with that.”

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Then Stormzy turns to his crew and staff: “Look guys, I know you have mortgages to pay and kids to feed but it’s just so humbling to play Glastonbury I said we’d do it for free. I assume you’re all cool with that.”

I didn't say free did I, and come on. Even if he took 100k to play it, I'm sure even after the split his crew aren't going struggle to pay a couple of weeks of mortgage on that. They'll love it, fancy a crew that last time out were setting up a couple of nights at Brixton are suddenly setting up a Pyramid stage at 10pm...that's a buzz forget about the few thousand they're getting lol

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I didn't say free did I, and come on. Even if he took 100k to play it, I'm sure even after the split his crew aren't going struggle to pay a couple of weeks of mortgage on that. They'll love it, fancy a crew that last time out were setting up a couple of nights at Brixton are suddenly setting up a Pyramid stage at 10pm...that's a buzz forget about the few thousand they're getting lol

So a crew used to setting up and playing Brixton are going to turn down the massive hike in cash that doing Glastonbury would bring? “I mean I wanted to buy a car, but I thought nah, I’ll just do it for the buzz...”

Even Stormzy & his crew will know what a cash storm will come from headlining the biggest festival in the country would be.

His exposure on The Other stage proved that to my mom & dad.

To be fair they haven’t downloaded any of his music but they know who does Big For Your Boots & they are both nearly 70.

Edited by Bisque
My dad is 70

On 2/1/2019 at 12:10 PM, BlueDaze said:

Only one real solution to replacing Macca.....

Put him between Stormzy and The Cure and it suddenly looks balanced...

he should be given one more bash at it..

I know we've had a few people mention that they've been told by someone in the know that X is headlining so I'd take this with a big lump of salt... 

About 3 weeks ago a friend of mine went on a date with a guy who 'works in the music industry' and she put in our Glastonbury WhatsApp group that he told her Stevie is headlining the big G and he was pretty adamant. 

I didn't want to say at the time as it seemed way off (not touring / struck me as a one-off special booking you wouldn't repeat) and I thought it seemed like he was just trying to impress her or whatever. 

Having seen the BST rumours it does look like he's back so you never know. I'm still not buying it but thought it's worth a mention. The guy may have even got confused with BST (ridiculous, I know).

7 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

About 3 weeks ago a friend of mine went on a date with a guy who 'works in the music industry' and she put in our Glastonbury WhatsApp group that he told her Stevie is headlining the big G and he was pretty adamant.

Well I for one would be absolutely made up if this is true. Wasn't at the G in 2010 and Stevie is one of my all time faves. Missed too many legends over the years, I'm hoping this actually happens!

55 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Well I for one would be absolutely made up if this is true. Wasn't at the G in 2010 and Stevie is one of my all time faves. Missed too many legends over the years, I'm hoping this actually happens!

I missed that one as well so like you would love him to appear, though it’s a long shot 

I suppose if they were looking for a Macca replacement then Stevie is as good as any if he’s around - wouldn’t be any different than The Who stepping in for Prince in ‘15. I don’t think it’ll be him though, if only because his set in ‘10 was so great that it’d be a shame to just repeat it nine years later.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I just don’t see the point in having Stevie back, don’t get me wrong, he was great, but what would he do differently?

Definitely one of those who only needs to do it once.

I agree with this from a personal perspective - he was bloody brilliant last time but, with no new material, I have no need/desire to see it again.   However, it was 9 years ago and in theory there should be a whole bunch of punters at this year's festival who weren't there in 2010 and so didn't get to see him then.   The repeating of acts is only really an issue for those of us fortunate to have been many times.

Having said that, I think it's *very* unlikely that he'll be back.

1 hour ago, TomViolence said:

I know we've had a few people mention that they've been told by someone in the know that X is headlining so I'd take this with a big lump of salt... 

I didn't want to say at the time as it seemed way off (not touring / struck me as a one-off special booking you wouldn't repeat) and I thought it seemed like he was just trying to impress her or whatever. 

Having seen the BST rumours it does look like he's back so you never know. I'm still not buying it but thought it's worth a mention. The guy may have even got confused with BST (ridiculous, I know).

How did the rest of the date go? Well enough to arrange a second and see if we can get a bit more info?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I just don’t see the point in having Stevie back, don’t get me wrong, he was great, but what would he do differently?

What he would do is create an unforgettable performance for tens of thousands that didnt get the opportunity to see him 9 years ago.

Macca was hardly likely to bring a fresh set.

Of course, as with any act at Glastonbury we have the option to vote with our feet

Stormzy

Stevie Wonder

The Cure

I really like that, correlates with the two males and something different each night. Would be one of the last chances to see Wonder and I would attend if something didn't blow me away on the other stages. Nice set of three should that be the trio. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I wasn’t feeling it by the Sunday in 2010, and needed to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Pyramid on the Sunday evening and ended up watching The Levellers on the Glade instead had an absolute ball. So hopefully he will be there this year!!!!