2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

Madge has been ruled out, hasn’t she?

1. She was rumoured to want 5 million (!!)

2. Emily said she’s not playing 2019. 

She’d be in the superstar league, but unless it makes business sense for her, I can’t see it. 

I think she just said the same about FM that they werent booked at that point. Suppose it could have changed since then but I don't think so as she would cost too much. Always a chance though. 

I thought it slightly odd at the time that Emily should randomly rule out FM, Madge and Led Zeppelin, without being asked about them. Part of me now wonders if FM had agreed by then, but asked her to say that so as to not affect the Wembley ticket sales. Wishful thinking I know, a man can dream...

34 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I thought it slightly odd at the time that Emily should randomly rule out FM, Madge and Led Zeppelin, without being asked about them. Part of me now wonders if FM had agreed by then, but asked her to say that so as to not affect the Wembley ticket sales. Wishful thinking I know, a man can dream...

Maybe all three of them are playing.

12 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Is the FM dream really alive again or are we just being silly?

Depends if you believe some randoms claiming to have heard that they’re the third headliner or not. They're about as good a bet as anybody at the moment.

Edited by FloorFiller

FM could easily be the same deal as Stevie. Emily ruled them out as they weren't booked at the time (maybe Macca was) and they've since been recruited and maybe the festival forked out a bit than they would normally like as they were in a sticky spot trying to find another headliner. 

It ain't Madonna and definitely not Led Zep, but FM could have come back in the equation.

Edited by jparx

11 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Last time I thought they might have done all the UK shows and played the following year but they just took more shows again. 

As long as Michael can try I think he will but by next year I think they'd have to accept a fee maybe around what The Stones did presuming Eavis would pay it. 

I may be wrong but part of why we have Stormzy this year in a year before the 50th maybe not only as it gives a British rapper the chance but he would have been dirt cheap which gives them more in the pot to use next year.

If they aren't this year either FM or AM stepping in then I think we could see Macca, FM and Arctics next year. Still can't see Coldplay involved but not topping it mind.

Why would Stormzy accept less than the standard fee? GF have always been very clear that there is one fee for all headliners, big or small. So why would he take less?

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why would Stormzy accept less than the standard fee? GF have always been very clear that there is one fee for all headliners, big or small. So why would he take less?

That’s not true is it? Headliners have had different fees. I’m sure the Rolling Stones got more than Mumford in 2013...

Edited by strummer77

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

By most accounts only the Stones have had a higher fee. Everyone else gets the same, this might go up year on year, but Stormzy wouldn’t be getting less than The Cure for example.

Genuinely never heard that before... and had heard McCartney had a high fee in the past. 

I think they’re probably more similar than most other festivals but I’d be amazed if it was exactly the same for everyone?

Edited by strummer77

Just now, strummer77 said:

Genuinely never heard that before... and had heard McCartney had more in the past and Coldplay took less etc. 

I think they’re probably more similar than most other festivals but I’d be amazed if it was exactly the same for everyone?

Obviously I’m only going by what’s said on here, but my understanding is that they’re all paid the same each year.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Obviously I’m only going by what’s said on here, but my understanding is that they’re all paid the same each year.

Fair enough but really not sure about it that. There’s always a negotiation involved and there’s quotes (referenced here http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40273111) about how he paid Macca and Coldplay £200,000. Would think he’d mention everyone rather than just those?

Also he’s said things in the past about bands wanting too much/not being able to reach a deal. Neil could probably clarify better

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

By most accounts only the Stones have had a higher fee. Everyone else gets the same, this might go up year on year, but Stormzy wouldn’t be getting less than The Cure for example.

Everyone has started repeating this a lot recently and I'm not sure what the primary sources are.  I thought all we really knew is that Glasto don't pay as much as "the commercial festivals" to the headliners.  We don't really know there is a flat fee that they still pay when the likes of Coldplay and Arctics and (for their first appearance) or KOL headline do we?

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Everyone has started repeating this a lot recently and I'm not sure what the primary sources are.  I thought all we really knew is that Glasto don't pay as much as "the commercial festivals" to the headliners.  We don't really know there is a flat fee that they still pay when the likes of Coldplay and Arctics and (for their first appearance) or KOL headline do we?

Emily and Michael have mentioned it a few times that there’s a ‘standard fee’ for headlining.

13 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Fair enough but really not sure about it that. There’s always a negotiation involved and there’s quotes (referenced here http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40273111) about how he paid Macca and Coldplay £200,000. Would think he’d mention everyone rather than just those?

Also he’s said things in the past about bands wanting too much/not being able to reach a deal. Neil could probably clarify better

I’m pretty sure Paul McCartney was mentioned in the way that he was refuting rumours about them breaking the bank for Macca. He said similar about the Stones too, tbf.

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I’m not sure, you’re right that it has become accepted wisdom on here but I think there’s a degree of truth to it. As dental says below Michael and Emily have both eluded to it in the past.

Just now, Anarion said:

Was interesting hearing Emily talk about fees in her interview with George Ezra. Agents of big American acts often ask "is this a joke" when the Festival presents its offer. 

I read a story on The S*n site recently about Cher being interested in appearing, until she found out how much they would be willing to pay and promptly ghosted them.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Do you reckon they ever approach an artist offering less? Or would it only happen the other way around, like an artist saying they’ll play for less than the fee?

I know they're sensitive towards offending big stars with low offers so they hope those biggest stars will come to them, and I know they've paid more than the 'standard' fee (to the stones, for example), and i know acts have sometimes donated the fee straight on (Coldplay for example).

More than that I don't know.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I can imagine some artists that were like...oh wow I didn't expect that offer, not yet anyway kind of thing may feel humbled by it so would say I'll do it for next to nothing kind of thing. 

Like above Coldplay I can imagine just doing for almost bugger all.