2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

one geezer has said he's heard they're headlining, same as one geezer has said for others.

The mentions on the radio didn't say anything about headlining, and I reckon that would have been included if they were.

Sure, if Emily ruled The Strokes out it’d be fair enough, not playing.

And we went over with The Cure that people outside of music forums talk about acts playing and headlining festivals interchangeably without zeroing in on the difference. It’s a bit strange to think that “so and so is playing this festival” always means ‘not headlining’.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Sure, if Emily ruled The Strokes out it’d be fair enough, not playing.

And we went over with The Cure that people outside of music forums talk about acts playing and headlining festivals interchangeably without zeroing in on the difference. It’s a bit strange to think that “so and so is playing this festival” always means ‘not headlining’.

They might be playing.

But if they were headlining I'd have expected that to have been part of what Grim Nickshaw heard, and then he'd have likely repeated it in at least one of the times he mentioned them.

I might be wrong, but that's my take on it. They're not really a headliner-sized band for Glastonbury after all.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

They might be playing.

But if they were headlining I'd have expected that to have been part of what Grim Nickshaw heard, and then he'd have likely repeated it in at least one of the times he mentioned them.

I might be wrong, but that's my take on it. They're not really a headliner-sized band for Glastonbury after all.

This is exactly what I’m saying though. We’ve heard about them headlining, and if it was any other act ‘playing’ would mean ‘headlining’, but the preconceived notion that they wouldn’t headline apparently overrides this info completely.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

They might be playing.

I think the fact that he mentioned them playing makes it less likely that they are headlining rather than more likely. The headliners are going to be a big announcement not Nick Grimshaw casually dropping it during his show. They could be sub-headliners maybe even Other stage headliners but I just don't see a Radio 1 DJ being allowed to make an off the cuff remark about a Pyramid headliner. 

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think the fact that he mentioned them playing makes it less likely that they are headlining rather than more likely. The headliners are going to be a big announcement not Nick Grimshaw casually dropping it during his show. They could be sub-headliners maybe even Other stage headliners but I just don't see a Radio 1 DJ being allowed to make an off the cuff remark about a Pyramid headliner. 

Radio DJs often make off the cuff remarks about people playing and headlining festivals. It’s not an official announcement channel so they can speculate like the rest of us 

Edited by strummer77

6 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Radio DJs often make off the cuff remarks about people playing and headlining festivals. It’s not an official announcement channel so they can speculate like the rest of us 

Yes but I think if it's a big act they'd probably check it out and if there was a chance it was a headliner would probably not mention it or at least mention it being a rumour rather than saying I hear they are playing particularly a BBC DJ as they know they get the exclusives from the Eavii when the announcements are being made. 

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

This is exactly what I’m saying though. We’ve heard about them headlining, and if it was any other act ‘playing’ would mean ‘headlining’, but the preconceived notion that they wouldn’t headline apparently overrides this info completely.

can't make any sense of that.

Playing doesn't mean headlining for other acts. Playing doesn't necessarily mean headlining for this act.

13 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

They don't get any special info (until perhaps shortly before an announcement) but they'd be nothing to stop them gossiping.

Nick was gossiping. The gossip he had clearly didn't include 'headliner' else he'd have passed that gossip on too.

2 minutes ago, Username taken said:

Stormzy would never sell 40K tickets and he's headlining

He definitely would, although he hasn't done a huge tour in the UK there is such a high demand for him, could easily sell 2 nights at the O2, especially off the back of a new album.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

They don't get any special info (until perhaps shortly before an announcement) but they'd be nothing to stop them gossiping.

Nick was gossiping. The gossip he had clearly didn't include 'headliner' else he'd have passed that gossip on too.

Ah I've not listened to it (I'm not really Radio 1 demographic!!). From what people said I thought he'd mentioned twice that they were playing like it was a fact that it was happening. 

I only joined this forum recently, before stepping foot in here if you'd have told me The Strokes are playing I'd have assumed headlining, and been surprised at the suggestion they'd play any lower. I'm certainly not the most informed with festival line ups, but maybe the general public would also still hold them to that regard, and so 90% of festival goers wouldn't bat an eyelid at them headlining?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

From what people said I thought he'd mentioned twice that they were playing like it was a fact that it was happening. 

he did. I think he's very likely to have good info too.

But he didn't say 'headlining', and I reckon he would have if that's what he'd been told, and I reckon he would have been told that if they were. People don't tend to gossip about headliners without including the fact they they're headliners.

That's how it works (says the guy sat here trading on gossip for the last 20 years!).