2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

The Strokes are not headlining Glastonbury 2019.

The Strokes are not headlining Glastonbury 2019.

I have no idea who is...

But The Strokes are not headlining Glastonbury 2019*

* (The Strokes may well be headlining Glastonbury 2019. But I’m still expecting something else to come up and make a whole lot more sense).

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Okay, despite CalGon's doomsday prophesying it looks increasingly like The Strokes are the most realistic prospect for our third headliner. Had a go at putting together a setlist that I think would have a chance of banging on the Pyramid (it presumes they'll have some sort of new music to drop between now and then);

• The Modern Age
  • Soma
  • New Song #1
  • Someday
  • 12:51
  • Reptilia
  • Is This It
  • Juicebox
  • Automatic Stop
  • Trying Your Luck
  • New York City Cops
  • The Way It Is
  • Barely Legal
  • What Ever Happened
  • Last Nite

ENCORE 1

• New Song #2
  • Heart in a Cage
  • Hard to Explain

ENCORE 2

• Under The Cover of Darkness
  • Take It or Leave It

Where is YOLO? 

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Okay, despite CalGon's doomsday prophesying it looks increasingly like The Strokes are the most realistic prospect for our third headliner. Had a go at putting together a setlist that I think would have a chance of banging on the Pyramid (it presumes they'll have some sort of new music to drop between now and then);

• The Modern Age
  • Soma
  • New Song #1
  • Someday
  • 12:51
  • Reptilia
  • Is This It
  • Juicebox
  • Automatic Stop
  • Trying Your Luck
  • New York City Cops
  • The Way It Is
  • Barely Legal
  • What Ever Happened
  • Last Nite

ENCORE 1

• New Song #2
  • Heart in a Cage
  • Hard to Explain

ENCORE 2

• Under The Cover of Darkness
  • Take It or Leave It

Mint

is This years likely line up getting as much of a hard time as the year we had jay z, kings of Leon and the verve? I remember thinking the verve were way past being relevant, went along anyway and had a great time. The strokes have definitely got a much livelier, stronger back catalogue than those guys. Jay Z had loads of people questioning the booking, Turned out (for me anyway) to be the best set of the weekend. He even came on stage to a video montage of Noel Gallagher slagging him off about being at Glastonbury. And kings of Leon still hadn’t released Sex on fire so weren’t the global superstars they went on to become. 

Feeling devastated by any of the headliners just seems to be part of going to the festival. For me it was the year of Adele, muse and Coldplay. Felt gutted by that one. Gave muse a go and had an incredible night.

Edited by lobo
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Struggle to see why anyone keeping up with recent UK festival announcements would think The Strokes is a bad deal.

It’s hardly a vintage year for any set of festival headliners is it?

Whats the best lineup out there at the min?

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

Fear not brother, a mere glitch in The Matrix.

Through the peaks and troughs we must venture.

For every Beyoncé we must endure a Sinead O Connor moment.

For every Rolling Stones a Travis.

If we want Madonna we must encounter a Strokes moment. 

The balance must be re-set. 

Travis, whilst being bang average (I have a soft spot for them though) were at the time, on the up. They were as big if not bigger than Stormzy is now. 

The Strokes makes zero sense to me. They were not that big to command a Glastonbury headline appearance after about 2003 or 04.

I loved is this it, but to me - it seems very very strange. 

Would they even fill out arenas?

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Struggle to see why anyone keeping up with recent UK festival announcements would think The Strokes is a bad deal.

Because they’re a terrible borefest live. I understand that it really does look like slim pickings on the festival headliner front this year, but The Strokes falling asleep on stage is no prize amongst them.

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Because they’re a terrible borefest live. I understand that it really does look like slim pickings on the festival headliner front this year, but The Strokes falling asleep on stage is no prize amongst them.

So you’ll have no trouble missing them for Wu Tang Clan or Chemical Brothers then.

1 hour ago, westholtschic said:

Unbelievable mate. It was my first marathon and I had to do something to celebrate my 50th. Got round in 5.59 which I was very pleased with being 17.5 stone as well! Doing it again in 2020 with my Wife for her 50th, although she has Glastonbury 2020 to look forward to. 

Fair play. I did well too. The fundraising was harder than the run.

The Pyramid experience is vastly overated in my opinion, something that may upset some people. Don't get me wrong i've had great nights there with Stevie W , The Stones , Coldplay ( 2011)  but it can be just too big and soulless at times. I do prefer a more intimate setting with a smaller band, and gigs at the Avalon and Park have resonated and held in my memory equally as long. Looking at whats about this year, and we know it's all in the singular taste, there isn't much about that would drag me there on a headline appearance. If the Cure play on Saturday i might, Sunday i will be at the West Holts for Janelle, and i am not a Stormsy fan. What with the Sunday crown and all i thought that Kylie would be a good booking to headline, but not to be. It will i reckon however be an artist that like Mumfords will be harmless. Madonna would have been a great Saturday headliner, maybe not to be, who knows.

8 minutes ago, ghandi said:

The Pyramid experience is vastly overated in my opinion, something that may upset some people. Don't get me wrong i've had great nights there with Stevie W , The Stones , Coldplay ( 2011)  but it can be just too big and soulless at times. I do prefer a more intimate setting with a smaller band, and gigs at the Avalon and Park have resonated and held in my memory equally as long. Looking at whats about this year, and we know it's all in the singular taste, there isn't much about that would drag me there on a headline appearance. If the Cure play on Saturday i might, Sunday i will be at the West Holts for Janelle, and i am not a Stormsy fan. What with the Sunday crown and all i thought that Kylie would be a good booking to headline, but not to be. It will i reckon however be an artist that like Mumfords will be harmless. Madonna would have been a great Saturday headliner, maybe not to be, who knows.

It is but it's still great to see a headliner on there, particularly if it's someone you're really into. Had some memorable nights there; AM, the Stones, Kasabian, Radiohead, Coldplay. Watched Beyonce on there, admittedly I didn't know what to expect but she killed me.

It's been a good few years since I've had the chance to watch someone I'm really into on there, hopes shattered with The Stone Roses and Macca. The Strokes on there would be a moment for me.

There's so much going on at Glastonbury but you can't put a price on watching an act you love headline the Pyramid

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ghandi said:

really depends on whos playing, where in the crowd you are and how good the act performs. It can be the best music experience ever if everything comes together (Stones, Coldplay, Foos, Kanye, Radiohead). But its all down to personal taste.

Doesn't mean you cant have an incredible time anywhere else, hell, justice 2017 west holts was superb. 

Edited by TiZuff

I've experienced both extreme highs (The Stones killed it) and extreme lows (oh Kanye 'Greatest Rockstar' West... I'm looking at you) on the Pyramid - when it all comes together I think it's a moment that's hard to beat. Maybe it's psycholgical, an awareness of the greats that have graced the stage previously, maybe it's the energy of an enormous crowd who are equally losing their shit, maybe it's the sound and lights or maybe it's something else entirely. Great moments can also be had elsewhere of course (one of my fondest memories was stumbling into an old skool garage set, not usually my forte, in a tiny tent after Chic headlined the West Holts). The whole place is just magic.

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I've not seen a Pyramid headliner since 2014.

'15 and '16 werent great were they? Yuck.

Radiohead last time round restored my faith however. Crystal clear audio and unless you were up the front an absolute blancmange visually.

Trippy and fabulous.

• Like 1

Echoing the other comments really, when the stars align there's no better place. Sure you can have an amazing time belting out Africa in a tent or watching a band that normally plays pubs go down an absolute storm in a packed out Avalon Cafe on Thursday afternoon but when that field roars, man alive, it's a thing of absolute beauty.

31 minutes ago, mufcok said:

It is but it's still great to see a headliner on there, particularly if it's someone you're really into. Had some memorable nights there; AM, the Stones, Kasabian, Radiohead, Coldplay. Watched Beyonce on there, admittedly I didn't know what to expect but she killed me.

It's been a good few years since I've had the chance to watch someone I'm really into on there, hopes shattered with The Stone Roses and Macca. The Strokes on there would be a moment for me.

There's so much going on at Glastonbury but you can't put a price on watching an act you love headline the Pyramid

I would deffo been there for Radiohead and yes that would have been an epic gig , there is sublime amongst the sometimes bad! Didn't get a ticket though ( still reeling because of it ) , i was just remarking on the acts left to play it would leave me being unexpired for this year. Also the ' experience' is deffo better if somewhere near the front, which is quite hard to do most times.