2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If arctics are doing a UK 'iconic festival' in June, where is it if it's not Glasto?

It was never said to be UK, and was also said to not be Glastonbury. Most common take was that it was Bonnaroo, and the most recent rumour was that they pulled their June US dates.

3 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

We all get that you hate AMs ;) 

And your point on touring machines, it applies to all acts not just headliners - so it's bs and we've seen it proved wrong in the past

Eh I like Arctic Monkeys lol.

What? I know it applies to non-headliner, where did I say otherwise? And yes I know it sometimes happens, hence why I said it could still be Arctic Monkeys. I just don't understand why you think they're likely yet told someone else The Killers are unlikely because they're not touring.

Edit: To add to this, if Arctic Monkeys were doing Glasto do you not think they'd be likely to do some other festivals around it that they didn't hit up last year? Like Benicassim?

Edited by Gucci Piggy

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

It was never said to be UK, and was also said to not be Glastonbury. Most common take was that it was Bonnaroo, and the most recent rumour was that they pulled their June US dates.

What? I know it applies to non-headliner, where did I say otherwise? And yes I know it sometimes happens, hence why I said it could still be Arctic Monkeys. I just don't understand why you think they're likely yet told someone else The Killers are unlikely because they're not touring.

are AMs currently touring yes

are Killers currently touring no

1 minute ago, Honeybane said:

are AMs currently touring yes

are Killers currently touring no

When we say they're touring in the context of playing Glastonbury, it means touring this summer. As far as all of us know, as well as those much more in-the-know than us, Arctic Monkeys have no plans to tour this summer.

8 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Edit: To add to this, if Arctic Monkeys were doing Glasto do you not think they'd be likely to do some other festivals around it that they didn't hit up last year? Like Benicassim?

Edited by Honeybane

9 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

perhaps, but their touring last year seemed more selective than bands of their size tend to do, and I'd say they're probably the band more likely to do a one-off for Glasto than other bands.

(that's not me saying I think they are, just that it's not impossible).

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

It does seem there's something odd going on with the AMs at the moment - Album out last year, you'd think they'd be touring the shit out of it this summer. I still think the backlash to TBHC has stung them and they've gone back to make another AM to keep "real guitar music" crowd happy.

I've got a feeling they're keen to get back in the studio this time round, although Matt Helders does have aside project now which started quite recently so I'm not sure how that plays into it

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

It does seem there's something odd going on with the AMs at the moment - Album out last year, you'd think they'd be touring the shit out of it this summer. I still think the backlash to TBHC has stung them and they've gone back to make another AM to keep "real guitar music" crowd happy.

I doubt the backlash stunned them tbh, and I think they'll have wanted to make that album regardless.

I think maybe they just know it doesn't work that well at big shows and therefore don't want to tour it too much, especially at festivals.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I doubt the backlash stunned them tbh, and I think they'll have wanted to make that album regardless.

I think maybe they just know it doesn't work that well at big shows and therefore don't want to tour it too much, especially at festivals.

Maybe, although I can see all trace of TBHC being quietly dropped from their sets in years to come, with a possible exception for Four Out Of Five, which would be a shame.

Tell you what, the Stormzy booking is looking more and more shrewd. When you look at what the alternatives might've been this year you can completely understand why they decided to give him the push rather than stick the likes of Biffy on there. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

On 1/21/2019 at 4:44 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Everyone who wanted to see The Killers last time got to see them. Can't say the same about Stormzy.

No they didn't....   Stopped at the closed gate .....  was still epic from outside.  And yes they should headline.

Just now, SwedgeAntilles said:

Tell you what, the Stormzy booking is looking more and more shrewd. When you look at what the alternatives might've been this year you can completely understand why the decided to give him the push rather than stick the likes of Biffy on there. 

This is very true.

George Ezra was popping up on lots of folks predictions over on the stage prediction thread. I wonder if that makes him any less likely given he'll probably be either sub headlining or 3rd down on the pyramid?

34 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

they aren't touring though, this is what i don't understand

Nothing too extensive but The Killers will be active this year and playing a few festivals/shows. 

They've also had an agreement for a while now to headline Glastonbury again, it's just a question of when and whether that's become an actual set in stone booking.

I don't have any more solid information than that currently, just my own guesswork or hunches

Just now, Neontiger90 said:

Nothing too extensive but The Killers will be active this year and playing a few festivals/shows. 

They've also had an agreement for a while now to headline Glastonbury again, it's just a question of when and whether that's become an actual set in stone booking.

I don't have any more solid information than that currently, just my own guesswork or hunches

Go on...

29 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Don't think this stacks up really. I don't but they would be 'stung' by it and will take an unscheduled about turn. They aren't complete idiots so knew the album was going to divide more than AM and it realistically isn't a permanent direction they will take. The critical reception has been pretty good and the gigs they did sold really well.

As for not touring, they did a fair amount of festivals last year and quite a lot of sizable gigs off the back of it in the UK, Europe and elsewhere. Just checked and it appears they are still going in Australia and South America.

• Upvote 1