2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

On 1/18/2019 at 11:09 AM, jparx said:

Out of all the options, I'd bump up the Chems to headliner. They'd put on a better show than anyone mentioned (aside from Gaga, but I just don't see that happening at all). 

If you're going to end up with three "smaller" headliners than normal, may as well pick the one that would blow away the field. 

It's never going to happen, but that would be staggering, especially with the state of the Pyramid soundsystem these days. Would be utterly unlike their 2000 set from a staging perspective, the technology has moved on so much.

Ahhhh, we can dream.

• Upvote 2

Still get the feeling that this is gonna end up like every other year where we think we’re all out of options and gonna end up with a shit/small/underwhelming final headliner and then somebody announces a tour/reforms/comes out of the woodworks and it all falls in to place. 

Or I’m wrong and something either very odd/unexpected happened when booking this years headliners, or something very deliberate to move away from the last decade of mega headliners. 

15 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Woah!, how can you even compare Demon Days to Is This It?, not even in the same pool.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Because it's a far more creative, varied and enjoyable record.p

Creative no. They both sounded fresh.

Varied? Irrelevant. It's whether it's good.

Enjoyable. Genre based. Both very good, I'm more of a Strokes man though. Moot point though as Turn On The Bright Lights is better than both ?

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Still get the feeling that this is gonna end up like every other year where we think we’re all out of options and gonna end up with a shit/small/underwhelming final headliner and then somebody announces a tour/reforms/comes out of the woodworks and it all falls in to place. 

Yeah I feel like we've been here before with crazy suggestions and then a really predictable headliner was announced that we'd all just ignored

Yeah but normally Paul McCartney doesn't pull out of headlining in a year where the selection of acts doing festivals in Europe is pretty small/naff.

Look at Rock Werchter - P!nk, The Cure, Mumford, Florence, Muse

Look at Mad Cool - Bon Iver, The National/Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure (I doubt they'd go from Pearl Jam/Arctic Monkeys/Jack White/Depeche Mode/QOTSA to this unless there were no bigger options for them)

In fact, The Cure and The Strokes are nigh on the best options at European festivals this year, so what else can you do if you're Glasto?

If Arctic Monkeys get announced for those festivals mentioned earlier then fair enough, they'd make sense and would fit what floorfiller said about things falling into place (even though it'd be a lame booking).

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah but normally Paul McCartney doesn't pull out of headlining in a year where the selection of acts doing festivals in Europe is pretty small/naff.

Look at Rock Werchter - P!nk, The Cure, Mumford, Florence, Muse

Look at Mad Cool - Bon Iver, The National/Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure (I doubt they'd go from Pearl Jam/Arctic Monkeys/Jack White/Depeche Mode/QOTSA to this unless there were no bigger options for them)

In fact, The Cure and The Strokes are nigh on the best options at European festivals this year, so what else can you do if you're Glasto?

If Arctic Monkeys get announced for those festivals mentioned earlier then fair enough, they'd make sense and would fit what floorfiller said about things falling into place (even though it'd be a lame booking).

Get daft punk

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Creative no. They both sounded fresh.

Varied? Irrelevant. It's whether it's good.

Enjoyable. Genre based. Both very good, I'm more of a Strokes man though. Moot point though as Turn On The Bright Lights is better than both ?

Not if it gets boring because it's another variation on the same idea over and over.

Actually, I'm going to call bullshit on myself. I don't think I've ever actually listened to This Is It the whole way through. I've put on the occasional non "Last Nite" song by them and usually either turn it off or totally tune out before the end. I'll have to actually listen to it now, even if I'm not expecting it to be my thing.

I'll post back with my impressions.

45 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

This is where I am..... or it's Gaga.

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Was in a bar last night where this din was playing and I couldn't quite place it and I said is this the goddamn Fratellis or somebody else and my dawg was like no this song is juicebox by the the strokes

That song sounds absolutely nothing like The Fratellis so this is just you being dumb. Cheers.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Placid Casual said:

Arctics wouldn't be an exciting booking, but they'd draw a much bigger crowd than any of the other talked about headliners. Makes sense for the festival to go for them if they're available.

I'd be at the other stage, getting Gillespie'd while watching the Chems play the song of 2019.

Why would The Chems be playing an as-yet-unreleased Foals track?

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

What 

> TPC says he'll be watching The Chems playing the best song of 2019, implying MAH

> I say why would The Chems be playing a Foals track, implying a Foals song will be the best song of 2019 (they haven't released one yet so I can't name it) 

Hope that clears things up for you pal. 

Edited by Superunknown

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not if it gets boring because it's another variation on the same idea over and over.

Actually, I'm going to call bullshit on myself. I don't think I've ever actually listened to This Is It the whole way through. I've put on the occasional non "Last Nite" song by them and usually either turn it off or totally tune out before the end. I'll have to actually listen to it now, even if I'm not expecting it to be my thing.

First Impressions Of Is This It 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just can’t see it being the Strokes. I have liked, and seen, them a lot over the years but I don’t think they  have a decent pyramid headline set in them now. They’re too past-it to be a headliner who feels  in their prime and they don’t have the songs to be one that plays the classics everyone knows.

Hoping for gaga even though we have no info  to suggest she is likely 

36 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

> TPC says he'll be watching The Chems playing the best song of 2019, implying MAH

> I say why would The Chems be playing a Foals track, implying a Foals song will be the best song of 2019 (they haven't released one yet so I can't name it) 

Hope that clears things up for you pal. 

I was what-ing the idea of Foals releasing the best song of the year in 2019 tbh

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Don't help now...

It hasn't aged well really.