2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

55 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

For reasons that I now can't quite remember (although, I suspect it's because at the time I was an obnoxious 16/17 year old metaller), I have it in my head that I hate The Strokes. I know the name of the album and that stupid/iconic album cover which was literally everywhere for years, obviously, but couldn't name any of their tunes....

Mentioned this to my Glastonbury chum the other day, who said "what, not even "Last Night"?". 

"Oh yeh, I really like that song!" Probably always did on the sly as well tbh...

Big up to the teenage metalheads pretending to hate everything else.

Happy days. :)

If The Strokes could be booked for the headliner budget, or less, I think they'd opt for that over bumping Liam up.

Did we not have info that Liam is on before Stormzy (I know that could have changed since). Also, if Noel is playing this year there's no way one is headlining with the other further down.

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Whilst I'm not comparing the Stokes to the Stones, did you feel that way in 2013? Or is it just that this years are not that good?

I would have done, yeah.

Some people really like the idea of Glastonbury being able to fill in their ‘bucket list’ of artists but I really like the idea of the early 00’s and the 90’s where who was playing was a reflection of the culture at the time - though as Homer says that’s not necessarily a correct take on that era. But yeah even if it meant The 1975, Post Malone and a YouTuber dabbing and flossing for three hours.

I feel like two points are being conflated here;

1. In 2019 The Strokes would be a weird and weak headliner for Glastonbury.

2. The Strokes in their pomp were fucking excellent and Is This It remains one of the best, if not *the* best record of the 00s.

These points are not mutually exclusive and are, actually, both correct. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I feel like two points are being conflated here;

1. In 2019 The Strokes would be a weird and weak headliner for Glastonbury.

2. The Strokes in their pomp were fucking excellent and Is This It remains one of the best, if not *the* best record of the 00s.

These points are not mutually exclusive and are, actually, both correct

I'd agree with both points, dunno if I'd call Is This It THE best record of the 00's (Funeral, in case you were wondering) but it's darn good.

I've seen a Sheffield chap say, on an unrelated private forum, that he has a "good" source that it's Arctics. No idea how much weight to place on it, and I know the "iconic June festival" was said not to be G, but since then we've had Neil hearing they've been approached, and this: 

Would be 5 years since they last headlined. 

12 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Did we not have info that Liam is on before Stormzy (I know that could have changed since). Also, if Noel is playing this year there's no way one is headlining with the other further down.

Yeah and that info came with news  of Paul McCartney headlining. If he’s headlining its since that fell thru.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I would have done, yeah.

Some people really like the idea of Glastonbury being able to fill in their ‘bucket list’ of artists but I really like the idea of the early 00’s and the 90’s where who was playing was a reflection of the culture at the time - though as Homer says that’s not necessarily a correct take on that era. But yeah even if it meant The 1975, Post Malone and a YouTuber dabbing and flossing for three hours.

But in the early 00s and 90s they didn't book the equivalent of what you're talking about there. If Glastonbury reflected the culture of the time, surely in, say, 2000, they would would have booked Spice Girls, Eminem and Linkin Park, not The Chems, Travis and David Bowie?

Glastonbury has always reflected a certain culture of the times, but that's usually alternative/counter culture. The lineups from the 90s/early 00s did not pander to the masses in the same way booking a YouTuber to floss would. 

Doesn't change the fact The Strokes aren't headlining though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I've seen a Sheffield chap say, on an unrelated private forum, that he has a "good" source that it's Arctics. No idea how much weight to place on it, and I know the "iconic June festival" was said not to be G, but since then we've had Neil hearing they've been approached, and this: 

Interesting! At this point I'm convinced the reason no one know is because there isn't a third headliner yet, Macca dropped out and they've been scrambling to confirm someone else ever since ?

1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

On one hand it would be a decent booking because they're bigger and more relevant than most of the names mentioned since Macxit.

On the other it would be pretty underwhelming, that would be three times in twelve years (same as Muse) and although I enjoyed it, their last headline set didn't by most accounts set the world on fire.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

On one hand it would be a decent booking because they're bigger and more relevant than most of the names mentioned since Macxit.

On the other it would be pretty underwhelming, that would be three times in twelve years (same as Muse) and although I enjoyed it, their last headline set didn't by most accounts set the world on fire.

They stank the place out at Mad Cool last year. The Spanish lads are still cleaning trying to remove the stench of mediocrity from the site.  

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

But in the early 00s and 90s they didn't book the equivalent of what you're talking about there. If Glastonbury reflected the culture of the time, surely in, say, 2000, they would would have booked Spice Girls, Eminem and Linkin Park, not The Chems, Travis and David Bowie?

Glastonbury has always reflected a certain culture of the times, but that's usually alternative/counter culture. The lineups from the 90s/early 00s did not pander to the masses in the same way booking a YouTuber to floss would. 

Doesn't change the fact The Strokes aren't headlining though.

What even is counter culture nowadays?

6 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

The info I had about an approach came from someone in Sheffield, so it's going around there - and I wouldn't say a repeat of it is particularly telling.

If they're pulling out of US dates, tho, then that's more suggestive.