2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

28 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I can guarantee The Strokes would not get the biggest or livelist crowd of the day let alone of the 3 headliners.

Meh, people on here said the same thing about Kasabian, and they got, as The Guardian wrote, the "the most vociferous reaction of any of this year’s Pyramid stage headliners". A live show with The Strokes lets you go crazy to some of the best rock songs of the last 20 years. That's what most people want at a festival.

If we’re going with The Strokes headlining then surely 2019 will be the emptiest the Pyramid field has been come headliner time across all three nights by quite a margin (by the end of each headliners set, at least). No big marquee name. Nothing much for the TV audience back home. Not a whole lot to get people talking outside of ‘is Stormzy really big enough for this?’.

Mentioned The Strokes as a potential pyramid headliner to the mrs last night and she laughed at me. I then played her 5 or 6 songs on spotify and she knew them all and liked them but didn't realise that was them. However they were all from 2001 or 2003, anything after that she didn't know and thought it was a bit meh. Barring those "core" songs a lot of festival goers wouldn't know that much of their catalogue and i'd bet a lot of them would be the same as my mrs and don't even know that it was The Strokes who did those songs that they did recognise. 

So i'd think they would get a poor crowd, i'd say even Stormzy would get a better crowd. 

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If we’re going with The Strokes headlining then surely 2019 will be the emptiest the Pyramid field has been come headliner time across all three nights by quite a margin (by the end of each headliners set, at least). No big marquee name. Nothing much for the TV audience back home. Not a whole lot to get people talking outside of ‘is Stormzy really big enough for this?’.

Tend to agree with this. I reckon I will be looking elsewhere rather than the pyramid in the evenings 

I think one big difference between Kasabian and The Strokes is that Kasabian were at least near their peak when they headlined. Third and fourth albums had been recieved well and the fifth had just come out and was doing well. Theyd been touring extensively and people are generally pleased with their live shows, they also get a lot of play time on stuff like Sky Sports and had featured heavily on the 2012 Olympics. 

In comparison The Strokes peak was probably fifteen years previous, there last two albums have mostly fell on deaf ears, they are noted for not playing great live shows nor really wanting to play together and have barely done anything of mainstream appeal from at least 2010ish.

Not that Im down on the Strokes but Kasabian went into theres on a much bigger wave of momentum than The Strokes would be. 

11 minutes ago, Homer said:

Surely EVERYONE knows The Strokes' first album?

For reasons that I now can't quite remember (although, I suspect it's because at the time I was an obnoxious 16/17 year old metaller), I have it in my head that I hate The Strokes. I know the name of the album and that stupid/iconic album cover which was literally everywhere for years, obviously, but couldn't name any of their tunes....

Mentioned this to my Glastonbury chum the other day, who said "what, not even "Last Night"?". 

"Oh yeh, I really like that song!" Probably always did on the sly as well tbh...

For the people who think The Strokes only have one song (Last Nite), there's a few you might recognise from films, TV shows and ads (or any indie club night since 2001). They're one of those bands that seem to be used a lot. Try Someday and Reptilia first - strong chance you'll recognise them within seconds.

I wouldnt mind catching the Strokes is they played... but they are very much not Glasto pyramid headliners. Glasto has already used up its "questionable headliner" by booking Stormzy... booking the Strokes as well is pushing it. Unless they broke as fuck and saving money to pay mega acts next year? :D

15 minutes ago, Homer said:

Surely EVERYONE knows The Strokes' first album?

A turn of the century coffee table favourite along with Play by Moby, Come Away With Me by Norah Jones, On How Life Is by Macy Gray, All That You Can't Leave Behind by U2, White Ladder by David Gray and Life For Rent by Dido. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, clarkete said:

This thread is like an old and well loved piece of vinyl.  Every now and then it gets stuck in a groove and plays the same section again.

Or like the Brexit debate where everyone keeps repeating their entrenched views but no one is changing opionion because no one is listening.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Still got an inkling that it’s Gaga for the final headliner. Big marquee name. Female presence at the top of the lineup. Gap in her schedule. Bradley Cooper says he’s playing a secret set/is there every year anyway - guaranteed crowd going ape when he comes out for Shallow/other Star is Born songs. And I just have a feeling...

Gambino to sub. Noel on Other.

Where that leaves The Strokes amongst our ever increasing number of upper tier acts I don’t know. On before The Cure as a special guest? Or dare I say it, co-headliner, if you will. I don’t know. Just not straight up headlining the Saturday. 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

A turn of the century coffee table favourite along with Play by Moby, Come Away With Me by Norah Jones, On How Life Is by Macy Gray, All That You Can't Leave Behind by U2, White Ladder by David Gray and Life For Rent by Dido. 

White Ladder... that was a good album. He is still doing the rounds isnt he? ha 

2 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

If The Strokes are to headline, which I still doubt, they won't be getting the quietest crowd for sure. That will be a competition between The Cure and especially Stormzy. 

I think The Cure will end up with the smallest crowd (depending on the 3rd headliner), they cant even sell out their own shows. People are underestimating how popular Stormzy is. He got a big crowd on the Other in 17 and that was before his Brits success etc. 

Basically I know The Strokes because they've been on the wishlists of people on multiple music forums for several years now. When I looked them up last summer I realised I knew about three songs of them. With all the talk about them, I listened to This Is It in full for the first time (and the other albums), I think, a couple of weeks ago. Enjoyable, but don't immediately feel the urge to frequently listen to them, especially with loads of exciting new music.

Compared to other headliners of say, the last 5-10 years, I was always more consciously aware of them. But then I might be more familiar with Arcade Fire than the average person. Stormzy was already a stretch, but has maybe more to do with the genre. So my biggest 'concern' is The Strokes in between Stormzy and The Cure. The Strokes appears to me as a Other Stage headliner at best, or may be bumped up to Pyramid next to two huge names. Their main appeal right now seems the relative scarcity of gigs in recent years?